Water ingress on a 2016 Swift Challenger 565

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi, I've noticed signs of damp on my 2016 Swift Challenger which is (I believe) of the bonded construction. I'm wondering if there's a weak point in the bonding which might be a starting point to look for the problem.

My model has the end bathroom and it's the back wall that is damp, in particular behind the mirror which is mounted on the back wall. There's no window in the back wall, only a small one on the rear of the offside wall, but it does have the blanks for mounting a bike rack, factory fitted. I've noticed that all the plastic strips in the rails have shrunk and split, resulting in gaps - is this likely to be the cause? I'm aware that once water gets in it can track before showing itself.

Any advice is very welcome but I've got it booked in to be looked at later in April. Unfortunately it's that time of year when they're very busy with services so have limited time to look at it so any pointers could be very helpful.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
A 2016 Swift has the SMART construction hence a timber-less design, 2016 saw the use of GRP internal walls BUT retaining aluminium outer skin (replaced with GRP in 2017). If you are getting water inside it won't damage the walls/structure BUT the floor (upper and lower skin) on a 2016 model IS plywood so susceptible to rot if left damp for too long.

If it is "damp" behind the mirror, what exactly are you seeing as the wall shouldn't be able to actually hold moisture. Could it be either condensation forming behind the mirror or water ingress that is collecting behind the mirror? Can you post a photo?

I've had lots of Swifts over the years, changing them every 2 or 3 years so while I am in no way an expert, I have had a fair bit of experience with the construction types over time.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
A 2016 Swift has the SMART construction hence a timber-less design, 2016 saw the use of GRP internal walls BUT retaining aluminium outer skin (replaced with GRP in 2017). If you are getting water inside it won't damage the walls/structure BUT the floor (upper and lower skin) on a 2016 model IS plywood so susceptible to rot if left damp for too long.

If it is "damp" behind the mirror, what exactly are you seeing as the wall shouldn't be able to actually hold moisture. Could it be either condensation forming behind the mirror or water ingress that is collecting behind the mirror? Can you post a photo?

I've had lots of Swifts over the years, changing them every 2 or 3 years so while I am in no way an expert, I have had a fair bit of experience with the construction types over time.
Frankly the Jury’s out for me on the new Constructions of the last ten years.My traditional aluminium skinned ,timber framed unit is still going well after 15 years . She’s had a few leaks , all sorted. At the end of the day it’s all about how well the sealant has been applied and how it continues to perform.
Alu-tech still suffer with wet floors caused by a poor design in the sealant application and poor methodology. Elddis needs no comment from me. Swift are still having more than their fair share of ingress issues.
How sad the industry is “”encouraging” the Gary B guys to change regularly 🤔? No offence Gary I say this tic🤪

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
How sad the industry is “”encouraging” the Gary B guys to change regularly 🤔? No offence Gary I say this tic🤪

If I could find the raspberry blowing emoji….. Anyway! Ignoring my premature caravan-changing escapades of late, I personally think the new construction of Swifts is a definite failure mode/design improvement BUT the manufacturers should plough on improving the next stage (build quality) and then working with the equipment suppliers to improve those and then working with the NCC to increase payloads and then……

Our previous recently off-loaded Swift was awful, the new one seems excellent in fit & finish but goes back to the dealer soon for a new awning light (water inside - a known fault so why not do a recall?) and a new over-door control panel (LED lights on it won’t go off) so while Swift did their bit okay, the component manufacturers let it down.

Adria still use a traditional construction design and score well in reliability surveys, my parents Coachman is 14 years old and bone dry so it shows that with attention to the build, traditional techniques certainly can work! Unlike the 1996 Coachman we had that was almost scrap 6 years later due to water ingress.

This is our last new caravan for a while, we’re saving for early retirement!

Reactions: Dustydog and Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have no idea about the construction of my caravan, a 2013 Coachman. On every service it comes in at less than 15 % damp. Maybe because We keep it in storage in a barn. I keep on saying I will cover all roof joins with rooflock tape, but never get round to it.
The overall standard of caravan production is very poor, but we all know that.

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
So, this is the best picture I could get and I'd be the first to admit it's pretty poor! The area being looked at is a little off centre to the middle of the back wall. The lower red circle is over an area of a dry, white powdery mould. The upper left is a couple of small areas where the mould is turning blue and the upper right is where the blue/black mould (which is widespread to the point of covering the area behind the mirror) is spreading out. After taking the picture all but the upper right wiped off. There's a cupboard below the sink which is dry and mould free, similarly the area to the left of the cupboard below the shelf and the cupboard above the shelf.
We don't shower in the bathroom and keep it aired when the caravan is occupied. Last service (June '23) a damp reading of 25% was recorded for the bathroom floor, near the toilet which is to the left of the area pictured and it was suggested the toilet cassette door may need resealing and to monitor. It stayed around the 25% level, dropping occasionally.

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    751.2 KB · Views: 10
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Tony, the pictures show mould, and the damp readings are not good.
I noticed Greenish mould in our Sterling and also in our New Coachman,, although no damp was present after the winter.
Parksy , a moderator told me that spray polish can bring on the greenish mould, we stopped using it and all mould disappeared. .
It might be a double problem that you have.

Reactions: Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts