Water leak at Carver Crystal inlet

Mar 30, 2006
Visit site
We have had a 1992 Elddis Hurricane 200ex for four years now and no problems after winter lay-up.

This year though, it would appear we did not drain down properly before winter, and had the shower taps popup from the pipes, which was easily remedied, and now the bathroom sink taps are very temperamental - only working after some playing around with taps, which I suspect is faulty micro switches which I will replace this week-end.

What appears to be a more difficult problem however, is the water leak from the water inlet. When the tap is switched on inside the van and the pump starts to run, water gushes out from the connection outside the van. I have change the "O" ring on the hose end, and it has not stopped it.

Has anyone any idea what might be causing this problem ? I cannot see any cracks in the housing myself, but cannot imagine any other fault that might cause this leakage.

Can anyone help ? Do I need a new housing for the filter etc or is the problem likely to be more internal ??

Thanks in anticipation.

James

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
It could be a number of things but I had same problem when I had that system and in my case was caused by overtightening the filter in the housing which cracked but crack was in the filter housing and not easy to see,easy to replace but not cheap,strangly my friend had the same problem the week after me.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We had something similar happen to our housing on our old ABI. It did turn out to be a crack, which only became obvious once it was removed. The good news is that the inlets are still available and relatively inexpensive; they are also quick and easy to replace. I did ours on site at Billing Aquadrome, with just basic tools available.

Before you start replacing it though, make sure there isn't some sort of blockage that might account for the gushing water, it may just be a jammed one way valve.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
We had something similar happen to our housing on our old ABI. It did turn out to be a crack, which only became obvious once it was removed. The good news is that the inlets are still available and relatively inexpensive; they are also quick and easy to replace. I did ours on site at Billing Aquadrome, with just basic tools available.

Before you start replacing it though, make sure there isn't some sort of blockage that might account for the gushing water, it may just be a jammed one way valve.
Not of any great interest really but I have just remembered where I was when mine gave up the ghost and had to be replaced on site,it was while I was at Lickhill Manor!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi James, I have a 1998 pageant where over the years I have replaced Qty 3 of these assy.

First time when removing the filter assy after our dealer had over tightened causing the outer thread to break away.

Second time when going to make the bed late at night dicovered the plastic covering that held our bed linen was wet getting the torch out discoverd a water on the floor, torch failed ( bulb Blown) next morning in the daylight after checking all the connection discovered every time the water pump operated a fine spray was coming from the filter assy.Fitted a new assy on site.

Third time was when having the same problem as yourself water escaping from the outside of the assy, you have to really push the connector home on the assy and make sure that both the top and bottom clips are holding to make a solid connection, I found that the bottom clip was loose broken inside so that it was not holding the connection tight, allowing the water to escape.The bottom clip is quite hard to release away from the assy I use a pair of fine pointed pliers to release it.

Trust this is of help, The Crystal Inlet assy is quite a flimsy piece of equipment, I have always been able to buy spares from any caravan shop.Please advise how you cure the problem

Roy

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not of any great interest really but I have just remembered where I was when mine gave up the ghost and had to be replaced on site,it was while I was at Lickhill Manor!
In that case, it's lucky I don't have the ABI anymore. Still, won't hurt to check the new one out beforehand ;o)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The filter housing mainly cracks at the bottom where there is a 'cut out' that weakens it in this area, to find it you need to remove the filter. A cause of this is over tightening the filter but extreme frost might just have the same effect. The other place for the housing to crack is in the threads themselves, this could just be age related as well as the previous two possibles.

What I do know though is apart from no lubrication, Vaseline as a lubricant is probably the main cause of cracking as it will swell the rubber seal and be gauranteed to have the same effect as all the other possibles plus being petroleum based may well attack and weaken the plastic itself!

The best lubricant is Silicon grease (not sealant)or cooking oil if that is not to hand but never Vaseline!

Mar 30, 2006
Visit site
Thank you all for taking the time to help me out. It looks like I will need to try changing the assembly after all then. I checked them out at my local caravan dealer shop (Knowepark in Livingston) and they are not too expensive and the job looks simple enough to carry-out - I hope !!

I will let you know how I get on with it and if it solves the problem - here's hoping huh ??

Kind regards

James

Mar 30, 2006
Visit site
Hi guys

Very pleased to inform you that the problem is now solved.

It was indeed a crack in the housing under the filter - just where you said it would be. it cost

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Did we mention the consultation fee?

Kidding! Well done James, it's good to see a happy outcome. Chances are there are a few more of these little escapades to come, but that happenes to us all old vans or new (had a minor one this weekend on a van just over a year old). Part and parcel of the hobby, but an interesting one too. ;o)

TRENDING THREADS