Water Leak in 1998 Swift?

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
This weekend after a 12hour torrential rain & wind storm I noticed that the base of the seat cushion & the slats were wet in the rear off-side corner of my 1998 swift Alouette 5 berth. We've had this van 2 years & it's never leaked before.

What should I do? Leave it & see if it happens again or book it in for a damp check & possible repair? If it is a leak from a joint what is the likely cost?

Any advice appreciated. This is my first van & I'm still on the learning curve!!

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Glenn,

Obviously you didn't leave a window or roof light open.

So you can do some leak detection - If you are allowed to use a garden hose, someone inside the van can watch for leaks whilst another soaks obvious places.

If there is a window directly above the wet area, it's probably a good idea to examine the rubber seal, and then look at the mastic gloop that seals the rubber to the bodywork.

After almost 10 years the rubber may be starting to loose elasticity or the mastic may have gone.

Likewise do the same rubber and mastic check on any roof vents above the wet area.

The final place to look is at panel joins - such as along the awning rail.

Robert

G

You may never had noticed before, it could be that a hidden problem has worsened and now become visible. Act quickly to find the cause and remedy. Water can spell the death of a van or huge expense if not tackled quickly.

But make sure there was not an open roof light above / near by, heavy rain water has bounced and blown over the edges of open roof lights.

Apr 27, 2006
Visit site
I have a 1992 Avondale Pearle Adonis and like you after a torrential rain and wind storm back in August found that there was a small leak coming to the side of the front window. I checked the window but it was not from there. Took the caravan back to the farm and left it the barn to dry. On inspecting the top of the van there was a gap in the jointing and it would appear that the direction of the wind was pushing the rain along and down. I have had this van since May and it has never rained in before or, I hate to say it, since. I used a flexible caravan joint sealer to seal all the joints. Will be taking it for a damp check before the winter sets in.

Jun 9, 2005
Visit site
I have been through this recently, and as Euro has said you should establish the cause and remedy the leak as soon as possible. Even though you have only just seen it,the leak may have existed for a long time. I hope the damage is not extensive, but you may be unpleasantly surprised.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts