Water leak. Roof?

Aug 25, 2019
Visit site
We have a 2010/2011 Bailey Olympus 534 caravan. With rain or a heavy dew we have water dripping from the inside of the rear corner fenders. I can't find any obvious breaks in the seals between the roof and the trims but it seems to be coming down the inside of vertical corner trim. I put tape along this vertical trim's cap to the roof but that made no difference so its seal would seem to be okay.
Any ideas?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Algeee,

It is always difficult to give precise repair advice when it comes to water ingress issues, as when you find evidence of ingress, such as damp patches or water as in your case, the actual fault allowing the water in could be some distance from the point you actually see the evidence.

However if you are seeing running water, then there is a probably a significant failure, and it needs to be inspected and sorted quickly to avoid accelerated deterioration.

I'm sure you can understand that trying to resolve the source of a leak through a forum will never be as reliable because we can't inspect the caravan first hand. I suspect you may need to get it checked by a professional.

However you problem is very likely to be a failed seal and the solution is to get them re sealed, which usually means removing the rail(s), cleaning off any remaining residue of old sealing compounds and using new compound to rebed the rail.

Reactions: Jcloughie

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
When the roof on our 2019 Bailey leaked, it was the roof strap( which was a known issue on some Bailey vans) However the water was running down the internal wall where the roof strap would have ended. Don’t know your model well enough to comment but worth considering if water could track from the roof strap.
Mel

Reactions: Dustydog
May 7, 2012
Visit site
With water leaks it can be that the water comes in at a very different point to where it is seen, particularly at a corner. I would go along with the prof and say it is the seal but exactly where may be difficult to find. As a short term measure you could try Captain Tolleys sealant spray.
I doubt it is the roof strap as that was a problem on a number of newer models.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Bailey caravans are known to have problems with leaks in the location you describe and this is a failure of the seal of the roof strap ( The metal strip across the front and rear of the roof where the panels join).
The only long term fix is to remove the strap, thoroughly clean all the old sealant off the roof and strap and reseal with new mastic, Soudall Fixall is what I use, ensuring when the strap is screwed down there is bead squashed out along its length, in other words use a good amount of sealant, dont skimp on it.
When screwed back down ensure the end are well sealed and put a dab of sealant over the top of each screw head.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Bailey caravans are known to have problems with leaks in the location you describe and this is a failure of the seal of the roof strap ( The metal strip across the front and rear of the roof where the panels join).
The only long term fix is to remove the strap, thoroughly clean all the old sealant off the roof and strap and reseal with new mastic, Soudall Fixall is what I use, ensuring when the strap is screwed down there is bead squashed out along its length, in other words use a good amount of sealant, dont skimp on it.
When screwed back down ensure the end are well sealed and put a dab of sealant over the top of each screw head.
That worries me! My Lunar Clubman developed a leak on the front roof strap - with Lunar's demise a direct replacement wasn't available so the repairer used a Bailey roof strap.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That worries me! My Lunar Clubman developed a leak on the front roof strap - with Lunar's demise a direct replacement wasn't available so the repairer used a Bailey roof strap.
There is no need to worry about a Bailey roof strap being used, it is the type of sealant and the way it is applied that is the main consideration.
After all, a strip of aluminium is the same whether it is used on any van , its the way it is applied that counts.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The problem seems to relate to the 2013 /2014 models. We had our Quasar repaired under warranty before Lunar went bust and then sold it, so I do not know how effective it was. Our 2018 has not had the same problem so far. The service manager at the dealer, who was a very down to earth individual, was confident Lunar had sorted the problem. This apparently needed not only a new strap but a different fitting method which he described to me, but it did go a bit above my head. Assuming the Bailey strap is fitted in the same way I would hope that it should be the answer. The dealer did not suggest it was the sealant but the original was smaller and needed the new one needed fitting correctly.

Aug 25, 2019
Visit site
It looks as if the water is coming down the hollow section (labelled 1 in the photo) of the awning track. I dried as far up the hollow as possible and then shoved a rag up it. After overnight rain i removed a sopping wet rag from it. I had done the same with both hollow sections of the vertical corner trim (labelled '2' and '3' in the photo). The rags from them came out dry. I had taped the cap (SAM_9725) to the roof previously so that can't be the location of the leak.
I am considering using low air pressure to try and locate where the water is getting in.

Attachments

• SAM_9722_smaller.jpg
    SAM_9722_smaller.jpg
    652.3 KB · Views: 11
  • SAM_9724 smaller.jpg
    SAM_9724 smaller.jpg
    527.4 KB · Views: 11
  • SAM_9725 smaller.jpg
    SAM_9725 smaller.jpg
    561.1 KB · Views: 11

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts