Water Mist Fire Extinguisher

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
By the caravan door we have a 1ltr Water mist fire extinguisher fitted and it can be used on most fires including electrical fires. However it is now passed its expiry date of 5 years. It is probably still fully operational and is not an insurance requirement. We also have a fire blanket.

It seems such a waste chucking a full cylinder into the skip and then having to do the same again in fire years time. There is a newer model which has a 10 year life span at a price and the smallest is 2 litres which may be a bit too big for the caravan especially as advise is get away as far as possible from a burning caravan.

I am not sure whether to replace the extinguisher with another similar one or opt for the Fire Safety Stick which has no expiry date, but unsure if it is as effective as a water mist extinguisher? Either would only be used to get ourselves and the dog out of the caravan. The cost of the water mist extinguisher has also increased by almost £13 since purchase and will probably be more in 5 years time. Not sure whether to replace it or just keep the current one as we do not want a water or powder extinguisher?

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I "make do" with just a fire blanket as, to my view, the most likely source of fire is the cooker (electrical circuits protected by fuses and circuit breakers. Heating unit is totally sealed from the interior of tghe caravan) so I can grab the blanket on my way out, then hold it in front of me as I re-enter the throw it over the cooker IF it ever proves necesssary.
If that doesn't work I pay an annual insurance premium.
Others of course feel it necessary to carry an extinguisher, personal choice.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Dry powder and fire blanket for me. BUT for me they are not so much to put the fire out , rather to make my escape possible.
Caravans burn rapidly.
Rule one. Get everyone out first!
Although the water mist extinguisher has gone past its expiry date, it is probbaly still in good working order despite what the supplier states. As per Mr Plod states fires are not common especially as we have ALDE heating and very seldom use gas and the idea is to get out as quick as possible.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
After the Manchester air disaster I worked on watermist systems. We had an old VC10 and placed large trays of kerosene on the wings. Then lit them. Without water mist the seats adjacent to the wings virtually melted. With water mist in action I could sit in the seat adjacent to where the window and fuselage had been and not suffer heat. Pity was that airlines did not want the costs and weight penalties. Neither would they accept smoke hoods as passengers do not like to be reminded that planes can crash and burn. So we then moved on to our real area of application’…….submarines.

Given your dilemma I would buy the ten year water mist, as amortised over that time the costs aren’t that great. And as you say it’s not for fighting the fire it’s for life saving evacuation.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The problem with items like fire extinguishers and other product that are for one time emergency use, you don't know they will work properly even within their stated working life.

But just think why they are given a Do Not Use After Date? There is usually a good reason, admittedly it's possibly a damage limitation process on the part of the manufacturer, but it must mean these device can and do deteriorate with age, and whilst the manufacturer will have included some safety margin in the date you might just have the one that has the smallest margin and it fails just when you need it. How long do you intend to keep it beyond the date?

What value do you put on you or your family's safety?

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The problem with items like fire extinguishers and other product that are for one time emergency use, you don't know they will work properly even within their stated working life.

But just think why they are given a Do Not Use After Date? There is usually a good reason, admittedly it's possibly a damage limitation process on the part of the manufacturer, but it must mean these device can and do deteriorate with age, and whilst the manufacturer will have included some safety margin in the date you might just have the one that has the smallest margin and it fails just when you need it. How long do you intend to keep it beyond the date?

What value do you put on you or your family's safety?

According to the supplier it is the 5 year warranty that has expired which is why I am unsure. Good question reagaiidng value, but also do not lining other people's pockets unnecessary.

Given your dilemma I would buy the ten year water mist, as amortised over that time the costs aren’t that great. And as you say it’s not for fighting the fire it’s for life saving evacuation.

The smallest one is a 2ltr. Currently we have a 1ltr so a 2ltr is probably a lot bigger which is something I need to take into consideration?

No one has commented on the Fire Safety Stick?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think that dry powder is possibility one of the worst extinguishers to use for even a small fire due to the mess it leaves which i why we chose the water mist.

However by the same token we never ever heat oil for stuff like chips on the hob whether at home or away. Maybe a dash of oil for cooking mushrooms etc as most times we use our George Foreman or do poached eggs.

Taking into consideration the way caravans are slapped together I think our main concern would probably be an electrical fault or something falling on the hob and catching fire. The latter should not happen as when the hob is lit, someone is by it at all times.

Reactions: Mr Plodd
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I think that dry powder is possibility one of the worst extinguishers to use for even a small fire due to the mess it leaves which i why we chose the water mist.

However by the same token we never ever heat oil for stuff like chips on the hob whether at home or away. Maybe a dash of oil for cooking mushrooms etc as most times we use our George Foreman or do poached eggs.

Taking into consideration the way caravans are slapped together I think our main concern would probably be an electrical fault or something falling on the hob and catching fire. The latter should not happen as when the hob is lit, someone is by it at all times.
At least my dry powder extinguisher still had five years guarantee when caravan was sold

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
This topic raises its head from time to time. Personally I don't have an extinguisher. My main aim would be to get out of the caravan as quick as possible. Either through the door or through the windows - the front window is full width and opens up considerably. One side window is vertical and almost to floor level.

Each to his own.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
This topic raises its head from time to time. Personally I don't have an extinguisher. My main aim would be to get out of the caravan as quick as possible. Either through the door or through the windows - the front window is full width and opens up considerably. One side window is vertical and almost to floor level.

Each to his own.

The idea of the fire extinguisher is to make a safe passage for people and any pets to safely exit the caravan and not to extinguish a main fire. I doubt if either of us could clamber out any window quickly and safely no matter how wide the window could open.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
The idea of the fire extinguisher is to make a safe passage for people and any pets to safely exit the caravan and not to extinguish a main fire. I doubt if either of us could clamber out any window quickly and safely no matter how wide the window could open.

There's not really one size solution that fits all cases.

It would seem that a lot of people put the fire extinguisher near the door. Depending on layout this may or may not be the best position. In my caravan, which is small, any fire is most likely to occur between where I am and the door, which may make accessing the extinguisher difficult.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
According to the supplier it is the 5 year warranty that has expired which is why I am unsure. Good question reagaiidng value, but also do not lining other people's pockets unnecessary.
If you are serious about having or using piece of emergency equipment, then you should have no concerns about ensuring its in full working availability.

With things like fire extinguishers, they are usually a one time only operation, and usually there is no way of verifying for safety audits it will work before its actually needed, so it relies on the manufacturer of the product setting out the period over which it should remain ready for use.

Insurance companies take a dim view of fire safety equipment that has expired or where it it can be checked for operational readiness, but the responsible person has failed to do so.

After serious incidents that have been investigated, if fire fighting equipment is found to be expired or untested, there are serious charges potentially including manslaughter in the event of death.

Do you really expect anyone to say "yes" continue using an out of date safety appliance.

How much is a life worth? I'll bet even for you it's worth more than the cost of new extinguisher.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If you are serious about having or using piece of emergency equipment, then you should have no concerns about ensuring its in full working availability.

With things like fire extinguishers, they are usually a one time only operation, and usually there is no way of verifying for safety audits it will work before its actually needed, so it relies on the manufacturer of the product setting out the period over which it should remain ready for use.

Insurance companies take a dim view of fire safety equipment that has expired or where it it can be checked for operational readiness, but the responsible person has failed to do so.

After serious incidents that have been investigated, if fire fighting equipment is found to be expired or untested, there are serious charges potentially including manslaughter in the event of death.

How much is a life worth? I'll bet even for you it's worth more than the cost of new extinguisher.

There is no requirement in our or any caravan insurance that we have had to have a working fire extinguisher however I take your point of the value of a life. As said it is not there to put out a fire, but there for safe passage or maybe use if an awning catches fire or the grass around the caravan catches fire. More likely with the latter two than the caravan itself catching fire.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There is no requirement in our or any caravan insurance that we have had to have a working fire extinguisher however I take your point of the value of a life.
As said it is not there to put out a fire, but there for safe passage or maybe use if an awning catches fire or the grass around the caravan catches fire. More likely with the latter two than the caravan itself catching fire.
In all the situations you have mentioned the use of the fire extinguisher IS to fight a fire. It may not be enough to fully extinguish it but it may give occupant more time to escape safely - It's all fighting fires, so you want it to be operationally available.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

Each to his own.
We have a 2kg foam extinguisher by the door - whilst the primary defence is to get everyone out there's a chance that we may have been incapacitated and reliant on someone coming in to get us out.

I don't think Coroners subscribe to "each to his own"

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I carry a 2kg Co2 fire extinguisher,for the caravan which I leave on top of A frame, attached to the Jockey wheel by velcro.
Buckman, you state you have a lovely fairly new caravan with tracker etc, and probably £400 plus caravan insurance a year, but you are quibilling about paying roughly, £60 for a new fire extinguisher, get real and get a new one and put the out of date one in your garage or house, and hope you never have a fire.

Reactions: Beachball
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I carry a 2kg Co2 fire extinguisher,for the caravan which I leave on top of A frame, attached to the Jockey wheel by velcro.
Buckman, you state you have a lovely fairly new caravan with tracker etc, and probably £400 plus caravan insurance a year, but you are quibilling about paying roughly, £60 for a new fire extinguisher, get real and get a new one and put the out of date one in your garage or house, and hope you never have a fire.

I am quibbling because of the huge jump in price which is well above inflation and then to replace it in 5 years time. Of course I will get a new one, but my ORIGINAL question was about the Fire Safety stick in comparison to the Water mist extinguisher i.e. as per my OP. I admit even I strayed from my original question. LOL! :D

I am not sure whether to replace the extinguisher with another similar one or opt for the Fire Safety Stick which has no expiry date, but unsure if it is as effective as a water mist extinguisher?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I am quibbling because of the huge jump in price which is well above inflation and then to replace it in 5 years time. Of course I will get a new one, but my ORIGINAL question was about the Fire Safety stick in comparison to the Water mist extinguisher i.e. as per my OP. I admit even I strayed from my original question. LOL! :D

I am not sure whether to replace the extinguisher with another similar one or opt for the Fire Safety Stick which has no expiry date, but unsure if it is as effective as a water mist extinguisher?
Well the easiest way to sort this out is to buy a Fire Safety Stick, light a big fire in the garden and try it out, then try it again with your old water mist, and buy whichever you feel is most effective. Expensive way to do it but it could make your mind up.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Well the easiest way to sort this out is to buy a Fire Safety Stick, light a big fire in the garden and try it out, then try it again with your old water mist, and buy whichever you feel is most effective. Expensive way to do it but it could make your mind up.

Spending over £140 on less than five minutes playtime is not within my remit which is governed by OH as the £140 (£60 or £80) could be better spent on a couple of nights away. LOL! :D

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Currently in Coventry ckearing BiL’s house and I came across a Kidde 1 kg dry powder extinguisher in very good condition. Its gauge pointer was dead center in the green zone of the gauge. Out of interest given this discussion I read the instructions on the cylinder. There was nothing wrt a life, the advice given was for a periodic examination and nothing more.
What I’ve always done with dry powder is periodically to just tap the base against a hard surface to prevent the powder “ settling “. Whether that does anything for its performance if used I don’t know. Otherwise if it’s still in the green zone I keep it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts