Water pumps

Apr 12, 2023
Visit site
Hi,

Does anyone have any recommendations for a water pump for a caravan, looking at getting a new one. Looking at it I would need to just wire it up to the connector to the caravan.

I have been looking at some and either seem quite expensive or have really bad reviews.

Any links or advice would be greatfully received.

Thanks.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

Does anyone have any recommendations for a water pump for a caravan, looking at getting a new one. Looking at it I would need to just wire it up to the connector to the caravan.

I have been looking at some and either seem quite expensive or have really bad reviews.

Any links or advice would be greatfully received.

Thanks.
I assume you mean an internal pump. I fitted a Flojet positive displacement pump.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What make/type water connection point is fitted to the caravan??External pumps are quieter than internal. A picture would help if you arenā€™t certain of the fitment type.

Hereā€™s a photo of a typical type.
IMG_3147.jpeg

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
You can replace the whole lot for about 60.00 (search Whale/Truma pump and ensure the caravan fitting matches) or you can buy just the pump with a long cable between 10.00 and 20.00 to fit yourself - assuming you can dismantle the caravan end. I think the Reich was a replacement from the original as it shows 10lpm (litre per minute) and I think the original was 14lpm. Certainly EBay advertise several sellers with Whale or Comet pumps that run at the same 6 Bar pressure.
If the pump is jammed might be worth seeing if you can reach the impeller with a fine screwdriver through the bottom and see if it is free to spin.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The fitting you have in your caravan is a Carver Crystal mk1 design. Some sellers may still have parts for these. But the pump can be any 12V dc submersible pump, it doesn't have to be a specific make.

The most common reason for the failure of sub pumps, is either running out of water in the barrel, and the pump continues to run dry. The heat build up in the pump damages the plastic seals which eventually fail and floods the motor.

Given that its important to make sure the pump control system is working correctly. You will either have a pressure switched pump, or a switched tap system.

The switched tap system always has a pair of wires running to each tap, which contains a microswitch, All the switches are wired in parallel, so if any tap is turned on power is supplied to the pump.

A pressure switched system only has a single switch usually located close to the water inlet inside the caravan. It is usually white made by Whale and looks like this;-
1698778203512.png
This contains a non return valve which only allows water through in one direction.

When the pressure in the system pipe work is low, the switch closes and powers the pump. The will continue to run untill all the taps are closed and the pressure in the pipe work increases. Once it matches the preset pressure, the switch opens and stops the pump.

If any tap is opened the pressure in the pipework drops, and causes the pump to run and try to replenish the pressure.

Its wise to have an indicator wired in parallel with the pump that shows when the pump is energised. If it stays on when the taps are closed, then you must switch the pump control switch off and refill the barrel.

If you cant get the necessary spares for the MK1 crystal, there are now several viable alternatives from different manufacturers.

(Edit) PS. The Reich pump in your picture is not the original, a previous owner must have already replaced at least once

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts