We did it, are we one of the 4 x 4 clan now?

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
Just picked up our LANDROVER FREELANDER SERENGETI TD4.

Poor hubby has not been allowed to drive it yet,(that will soon wear off when I want to have a drink) LOL.

So far so good, we now need to buy the roof rack, back to front and from left to right for our roof box.

Also we need another key and phob cut. Why do we always have cars with just one key, what happens to the other key does the gremlins eat them?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I had one of these a couple of years ago and loved it. It wasn't the strangest engine in the world and it was hard work to pull the van now and then but it never let me down and was fantastic in the mud and snow.

Hope you enjoy it to the max.

Mark

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Allyson, all the best with your new Land Rover. My old Range Rover, is now 13 Yrs old and has covered 219,000 miles and still pulls the C/Van as if its not there. Bazz.

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
I had one of these a couple of years ago and loved it. It wasn't the strangest engine in the world and it was hard work to pull the van now and then but it never let me down and was fantastic in the mud and snow.

Hope you enjoy it to the max.

Mark
What was your outfit match? Ours is 86%.

G

You make staggering assumptions Ricky.

My X x X is far more economical than my previous main car so how can you decide that Allyson's fuel bills are increasing.

And my car has nothing to do with my lifestyle choice so why should others.

It would seem you crawl from the ashes of your own burnt out ideas beacuase of your own predjudices.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Allyson

Ignore the "lifestyle" jibe - if anything was calculated to stir up the silliness again it was that comment.

Ricky - behave yourself.

Allyson - On a serious note - I was about to say excatly the same as Steve has about the keys. Your Freelander would have come with two keys but our 2001 model only came with one remote. Never got round to ordering another.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You make staggering assumptions Ricky.

My X x X is far more economical than my previous main car so how can you decide that Allyson's fuel bills are increasing.

And my car has nothing to do with my lifestyle choice so why should others.

It would seem you crawl from the ashes of your own burnt out ideas beacuase of your own predjudices.
Agreed Euro - But some people are clearly of the Arthur Scargill type who can say "Don't confuse me with the facts! - My mind is made up!"

Sad really - especially as for towing - as seen by the numbers of posts in favour of awd on a caravan forum!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What an incredibly adult and insightful post Ricky.

You have hit it on the head totally (or been hit on the head - I am not sure?)

I only felt "in-tune" with my old Ford Sierra when I flew it to those mountains so it could feel at home.

The Cortina was easier of course.

And my mate with his VW Scirocco lived on a diet of Brussel Sprouts and lentils just so he could experience that full blown hot wind effect.

Marketing men hey Ricky! - they have a lot to answer for!

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
Well done Allyson.

We've had our TD4 since new and no probs. Very capable towcar with our bailey and we get good mpg towing and solo.

We've been from Devon to the Isle of Skye the last 4 years in it, so we've done plenty of miles. But very reliable.

From personal experience with 4x4's we would never go back to a normal car ever...no matter what it costs us to run.

next car - disco 3 !!

have fun Allyson

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
Hi everyone, thank you for all your good wishes.

Hubby still hasn't had the chance to drive it. He took the old car to work today.

I am allowing him to take it to work in the morning.

Only because I'm going into the office to work.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you don't let him drive it soon you'll be sitting on the naughty stair Allyson! Remember, Christmas is coming and Santa only comes to good girls and boys;-)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Congratulations, you've bought a nice car. It is a real 4x4 too excellent in slippery conditions. As for the name Serengeti, having traveled in that area a lot I can assure you it would be more than capable of getting you about.

My wife has a TD4, but we use my disco 3 for the tow car yet I'm sure the Freelander would tow most vans well. Regarding your comments about the D3 don't over look the Freelander2 when you change it is a very nice car, I've driven it and was very impressed. My wife has ordered one, but autos are not available until late spring/early summer.

Have fun with the car and if you get a chance get some instruction in driving it off road

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
Congratulations, you've bought a nice car. It is a real 4x4 too excellent in slippery conditions. As for the name Serengeti, having traveled in that area a lot I can assure you it would be more than capable of getting you about.

My wife has a TD4, but we use my disco 3 for the tow car yet I'm sure the Freelander would tow most vans well. Regarding your comments about the D3 don't over look the Freelander2 when you change it is a very nice car, I've driven it and was very impressed. My wife has ordered one, but autos are not available until late spring/early summer.

Have fun with the car and if you get a chance get some instruction in driving it off road
hi Paul, we are going to a freelander 2 launch party next week. so we shall see if we are tempted :)

we love the disco 3, just a tad more room for the dog in the back. The only thing I will miss in the new freelander/disco is the rear window - which at the moment moves up and down!

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
All i will say is enjoy the car.Take no notice of the anti 4x4 mob. you have got the car for a purpose,that is to tow your caravan.

ENJOY and good luck

Sep 14, 2006
Visit site
Allyson

Good luck and hope all goes well with you Freelander, hope you have more luck with yours then I had with mine. Good towcar though and good on fuel. Mine was a 2003 Td4 and was at dealership more than at home, on the other hand my father has a 1998 Di with over 100,000 miles on the clock and has never missed a beat. Luck of the draw really.

PS dont shout too loud about owning a 4x4 on this forum you might get shot !

TRENDING THREADS