'Web cam' rear view 'mirror'

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
I have tried multiple types of mirror and each time the darned rubber snaps or the fitting is simply insecure on the large wing mirror of my Sorento.

Do any of you know of a simple (ha!) means of fitting (say) a webcam camera (

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have experimented with a couple of rear view cameras ex car boot / E-bay but both have had coax cable all the way from camera via a joint to TV.

The first CCTV camera cost

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Some expensive motorhomes have these fitted as standard but I believe that some have been fitted as a DIY project.

You'll still need towing mirrors though as the law requires you to have an "adequate view" which includes down the sides of the caravan.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Some expensive motorhomes have these fitted as standard but I believe that some have been fitted as a DIY project.

You'll still need towing mirrors though as the law requires you to have an "adequate view" which includes down the sides of the caravan.
Agree again Roger.

As well as giving a view down each side if the mirrors will go through a narrow space then you know that the caravan will too.

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
John G :

I too have a Senator Oklahom so I would be VERY gateful if I could understand your proposals in more detail. For me I am hapy to spend the money to ensure that I can see what's behind me properly. I accept the ned for side mirrors also; although I confess to only using the driver's side extension as this appears to be adequate.

Please be good enough to email me on john.stephen@10glebelands.com if and when you are able to share the details. Thanks!

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John G :

I too have a Senator Oklahom so I would be VERY gateful if I could understand your proposals in more detail. For me I am hapy to spend the money to ensure that I can see what's behind me properly. I accept the ned for side mirrors also; although I confess to only using the driver's side extension as this appears to be adequate.

Please be good enough to email me on john.stephen@10glebelands.com if and when you are able to share the details. Thanks!

John
Hi John will E-mail you later in the day

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John G :

John
E-mail sent this afternoon

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Has anyone fitted a WIRELESS CCTV camera to the back of their van? I can find many 'wired' kits and whilst there IS a wireless kit on ebay I am concerened that ther camera is not waterproof and that the RF transmission will be compromised because of the need to transmit 11 metres from the back of the van to the front of the car (throigh various layers of steel and glas fibre etc !)

Thanks

John

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Customer of mine uses wireless camera that broadcasts over 50 mtrs into a coach. camera aerial & battery so small they rolled it into a hand sized paper ball and dropped it 6 meters from me and watched and videod me working! Driver also uses the canmera on a 13 metre artic trailer for reversing! cameras bought for 30 euro in southern france.

Try www.maplin.co.uk or the like. Camera mentioned worked with any TV and a laptop with UK TV card.

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Chris :

I think there may be a difference between a reversing mirror and the sort I need to use to replace a rear view mirror; i.e. the filed of view. Most reversing mirrors are very wide angle; great for reversing but when used for normnal driving even cars close up would appear as pin-pricks. I need a camera that offers perhaps 35-40 degrees and which focuses clearly from 3-4 metres to infinity.

Thoughts?

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Sort of camera my contacts use had wide field of view, and we couuld view over a long distance.

Getting what you want will I guess come down to quality factoe and expense. My customers with american RV,s have bulky cameras that only cover the area behind for reversing purposes.

My contacts use camera's for covert observation of their clients and expensive equipment. Quality and distance are not a problem, finding and at right price might be. The camera I mentioned could sit inside a rear light cluster it was so small.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
John I know you can get what you want/need. Price and quality wouild be factor as said.

Got me thinking a bit more and a call last night to a friend led to Ebay search using (rear view / car rear view camera). Seems like you can get some reasonably cheap gear from Hong Kong and the states. My friend has bought a few Quality LCD TV's and monitors for his business use from Hong Kong Ebay shop. They work fine and were deliverd in a few days with no problems.

Have a look see on Ebay

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Hello Cris; yes I have scoured eBay but these devices either either wired 9and I ant 2.4 GHz wireless) or they are for reversing and have very wide angle elnses. I am looking for a Wireless Rear View 12 volt CCTV camera whichis weather proof and transmits to a small 3 inch monitor in the car.

I would so like to hear from people who have actually done this as the Hong Kong Suppliers don't really know or care what you want it for !!

Thanks Cris!

TRENDING THREADS