Weight query.

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I have read the posts concerning weight and wondered if members had some comment or advice about an issue I have with my van. The issue is that the maximum weight, with just me and my partner, plus very few camping bits and near-empty tanks, was only 80Kg short of the 3500Kg MAM. But this summer, I plan on driving in France with two work colleagues and we’ll have a lot more stuff with us and a full fuel tank. I fear we will exceed the MAM.
The van is a conversion based on a 6.4m Maxi Fiat Ducato chassis. The plate in the engine bay states in order: 3500Kg, 6500Kg, 1- 2100Kg, 2- 2400Kg. It has quite a few toys, like long awning, sat dish, two leisure batteries, underslung LPG tank, Truma heating, 90 litre fridge and microwave. It also has a fair amount of cupboards and panelling. So I’m thinking that all this pushes the weight up, but I can’t imagine it’s much more kit than would be inside an imported motorhome of similar spec (without mentioning brands). And I specifically asked the converters to use lightweight boarding, etc.
My queries are – if there’s little scope in reducing the weight, e.g. removing the microwave and the second leisure battery, etc, before I embark on the France trip, would it be worth me applying to up-plate the van? If yes, and assuming the van requires no suspension or tyre upgrades, how do you actually go about up-plating? Should I go through SVTech Ltd? Thanks.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
First question, Ross, is whether your driving licence will let you go over 3500kg - lots of people are limited to that.
If you're ok to drive a heavier van, then from all I've heard, yes, SV Tech are the people. They'll tell you whether it can be just a paper exercise or if you need any actual changes to the vehicle.
But this is an increasing problem with proprietary vans too.

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi, Tony. Yes, sorry for missing that piece of info out. Luckily my licence is the older C1+E type, so that wouldn't be a hurdle. I shall investigate further. Someone told me that if I look up a company on the web whose name begins with M, who sell air suspension kits, the kit contains all I would need to get the van up-plated. Do you know who they are? Many thanks.

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
I think the company that you have had recommended is probably Marcle Leisure, which sells Dunlop air suspension solutions. (www.marcleleisure.co.uk/store/air-suspensions-c-58.html)

As Tony says, SVTech are very well known in this field too. Might be worth calling a few companies before committing, because some replating jobs are a simple matter of changing the plate with no mechanical changes at all. This might not be a very expensive upgrade!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts