Well...I've done it

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Bought a Bailey Pageant limosin on Sunday, great deal and the wife loved it as soon as she went in. See my previous post, Confused or what? I,ve towed a twin axle horse trailer with 2 horses in for a long time now, so not bothered about weight (comparatively light anyway), but never a twin axle caravan. Any advice or top tips from you experienced lads welcome! One thought struck me as I got home...what about leveling front to back, do I need to carry 4 wedges? Got a mover fitted as part of the deal. Can't wait to get back in to caravaning and I've been told of a good site in Leith that I'll use as a shakedown over Easter.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Congratulations David

The front to back levelling is done via the jockey wheel as normal, there are various methods of levelling side to side.

All I do do decide on a pitch, place my two levelling ramps alongside the wheels so that the low part of each ramp is level with the front edge of each tyre then reverse back for a couple of feet.

Move the ramps across so that they line up with the wheels, drive forward so that the front axle goes over the first ramp and starts to climb the second then watch in the mirror to achieve a level caravan.

It took longer to type this out than it does to do it, it's very easy.

I always drive forwards rather than reverse to allow the parking brake to engage then I insert the wedges behind the tyres and onto the ramps.

There are no major differences from towing a t/a caravan to towing one with a single axle, just try to make sure that your wife doesn't take more stuff away with you because of the extra space.

Good Luck

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi David

An excellent choice, home from home.

When we moved upto the TA it was very clear there was no way I and SWMBO could physically manhandle the beast. We bought a Powrtouch mover which enables us to move her with pinpoint accuracy.

Towing wise I find it no harder or easier than a SA. Reversing needs a little care on a grass pitch as the tyres can chew up the turf.

You still need to check your loading and noseweights.

Levelling can be done in a number of ways, using planks or levellers. Steve has listed an excellent method on an earlier post but I can't find it ! Rubbish search engine.

The two Al-Ko wheel locks can be a chore but again there are various methods.

Jack up the wheels or cheat, against the rules like me. Align and lock up one wheel then drag or use the mover until the second wheel aligns. Best on grass , or gravel. Not on concrete or tarmac.

Have a good time

Cheers

Dustydog

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
David

Here it is:-

See below from Steve in Leo.

I carry four 1" thick planks. They do the job too.

Cheers

Dustydog

5 Jun 2009 07:45 AM I have posted my method on this several times and I agree that PC should run the feature. Keep it to one page so that folks can take it with them easily. This way, they can "train" the other folks so all know how to do it.

All one need's is two regular ramps, I use thecheapie recycled plastic orange variaty.

Park the van about 3ft to the rear of where you want it to stop.

Place the first ramp at the front of the front wheel of the side to be raised.

Place second ramp in front of first one.

Set the distance between the top of the first ramp and the second ramp to the same as that of the distance between the centers of the axles. 40 inches was our axle pitch.

Now drive forward taking the first wheel up and over the first ramp.

Now continue taking the van forward until your desired level has been reached.

Chock the wheels and apply the hand brake before un hitching.

To leave the pitch after your holiday, simply tow the van forward over both ramps and retrieve them when the van is clear of the pitch.

Simple's

Regards.

Steve L.

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Hi David

An excellent choice, home from home.

When we moved upto the TA it was very clear there was no way I and SWMBO could physically manhandle the beast. We bought a Powrtouch mover which enables us to move her with pinpoint accuracy.

Towing wise I find it no harder or easier than a SA. Reversing needs a little care on a grass pitch as the tyres can chew up the turf.

You still need to check your loading and noseweights.

Levelling can be done in a number of ways, using planks or levellers. Steve has listed an excellent method on an earlier post but I can't find it ! Rubbish search engine.

The two Al-Ko wheel locks can be a chore but again there are various methods.

Jack up the wheels or cheat, against the rules like me. Align and lock up one wheel then drag or use the mover until the second wheel aligns. Best on grass , or gravel. Not on concrete or tarmac.

Have a good time

Cheers

Dustydog
I was just going to use 1 alko and a hitchlock which I could use if I park up for a break....what do you think...do you fill the onbaord water tank from a tap as you arrive on site or use a external container?

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
David

Here it is:-

See below from Steve in Leo.

I carry four 1" thick planks. They do the job too.

Cheers

Dustydog

5 Jun 2009 07:45 AM I have posted my method on this several times and I agree that PC should run the feature. Keep it to one page so that folks can take it with them easily. This way, they can "train" the other folks so all know how to do it.

All one need's is two regular ramps, I use thecheapie recycled plastic orange variaty.

Park the van about 3ft to the rear of where you want it to stop.

Place the first ramp at the front of the front wheel of the side to be raised.

Place second ramp in front of first one.

Set the distance between the top of the first ramp and the second ramp to the same as that of the distance between the centers of the axles. 40 inches was our axle pitch.

Now drive forward taking the first wheel up and over the first ramp.

Now continue taking the van forward until your desired level has been reached.

Chock the wheels and apply the hand brake before un hitching.

To leave the pitch after your holiday, simply tow the van forward over both ramps and retrieve them when the van is clear of the pitch.

Simple's

Regards.

Steve L.
thanks both..I would never have dreamt of doing it that way! experience counts!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts