WELSH FLAGS AND JOCKEY WHEELS-WHY?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
having just returned from wales can anyone explain why the welsh

erect large flags that require jockey wheel removal from the a frame.

having caravanned for 10 years i have never seen any brits raise the english flag in such numbers.

answers please?

G

Wow, you may be tempting fate with this one.

I suspect the Welsh are declaring their loyalty to their own Principality in the best way they know, and good luck to them.

I also suspect you will find very few 'Brits' actually raisng the English flag. Brits are either Welsh, Scots, Irish or even English and it is unlikely 3 out of the 4 would raise a non-national flag.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The simple reason is that the Welsh are proud to be Welsh and it distinquishes them from other members of the UK. Generally when abroad the UK is usually referred to as England and when Wales is mentioned the majority think of New South Wales in Australia. It is a means of getting Wales recognised as a country within its own rights whilst still being a part of the UK and not accepted as being a part of England.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
It's called pride I'm afraid Dave.

I'm not of direct welsh blood by my ancestral name (Lloyd) certainly is. some folks say that like birds we are drawn to our natural birthplace. I love Wales and the patriotic attatchment that goes with the teritory.

Of coarse ther is the english planning regulations that say you can have a flag pole errected but you need planning permission to fly the flag!!??

I was at Tywyn (mid Wales)at easter and did find one union jack flying in the vallies.

Of coarse it could be that all things british (motor cycles, cars, trucks, ship building, coal mining, farm working, nursing, and much much more) is being frittered away by the british government !!!!!

All I hear is "it's a dying trade", it only dies if we let it!

So declare your elegience everyone get the bed sheet out and put a red cross on it for england, and join the Welsh, Scotts and Irish with a splsh of colour.

Steve.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
In Britain every one has the right to fly their nationality flag on a site. Try this in some other countries and see what happens. I have the South African flag on my caravan and we fly the Welsh flag, but we do also have a St Georges flag for some occasions, i.e a Rugby match as long as they are not playing against Wales or SA. Be proud of your nationality!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The Union (Jack) flag is made up of parts of the original flags from all parts of the UK except Wales, The Cross of St. George, the Cross of St. Andrew. etc. Nowhere on this flag is there any representation to Wales. There was many years ago a King of Wales but the English monarchy will not recognise this and view Wales as a Principality this is why Prince Charles was invested Prince of Wales in 1969. Therefore for recognition as a seperate country from England the Welsh are proud to display their nationality.

G

Colin,

I agree wholeheartedly, however trying to fit a dragon onto various crosses could be difficult, maybe that is why the 'powers that be' long ago decided not to bother. We also have the anachronism of 'The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland' as if the irish were and afterthought. So we have 4 home nations of which 3 make up Great Britain and 4 make up the United Kingdom. No wonder overseas visitors get confused.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Scotch Lad there are two points in your posting where I think I may be able to enlighten you. First of all there is now a working party trying to design a new Union flag to incorporate a Welsh input - there is in fact a Union flag as we know it which includes a dragon in the centre being put forward for consideration. Secondly the term Great Britain and Northen Ireland stems from the days when southrn Ireland gained independance from Great Britain and the northern territory was so distinguished as still being part of Great Britain. Why they divided a country up as such and created the friction between north and south is another matter for which I do not have an answer.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dave having just re read your original posting the wording of it is the answer whereby you state that"...I have never seen any Brits. raise the English flag...." Great Britain consists of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales (alphabetical arrangement only). Therefore why should the Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish want to fly the flag of St. George which is the English flag? The inference of your posting is that the only race within Britain is the English and with no recognition of the others.

G

I have seen the design with the dragon in the middle and frankly, I don't think it will be accepted. Also, is it really that important, now, don't take offence. If you look outside most large Company offices you will see 3 flags, the Union one, the local national (English, Welsh, Scots etc) flag and the Company emblem. As a Scot I know that our St Andrews cross is represented in the union flag but I suspect that a large number of my countrymen would not be able to tell you that. In additon the flag of Northern Ireland is a horizontal red cross, as per England, with a hand in the middle so a bit got 'lost' there as well. The red diagonal cross come from the cross of St Patrick which presmably represents all Ireland. I am sure the people of Eire would disagree with that one. All in all a bit of a mish mash but it does work and is recognisable the world over.

If the United Kingdom ever splits up to independent nations then we can all use the national flags without question.

I suggest the Welsh keep flying their own flag as and when they wish. It is recognisable in its own right and doesn't need to be shown in the union one to make any significant difference.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Scotch Lad - I totaly agree with your last statement - I think it is once again The PC brigade (idiots) trying to signify their importance. It has been like this for countless years so why alter it now?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Well done to the Welsh for being proud of their country.

Unfotunately, political correctness, means that in the UK we can be British, Scots, Welsh or Irish - we're not allowed to be English because that implies right wing extremism.

I think those of us from England should ignore the PC lobby and take back the English flag from the minority soccer yobs and minority political party(s) and fly the Cross of St George as a national symbol of which we're proud.

May 14, 2006
Visit site
It's called pride I'm afraid Dave.

I'm not of direct welsh blood by my ancestral name (Lloyd) certainly is. some folks say that like birds we are drawn to our natural birthplace. I love Wales and the patriotic attatchment that goes with the teritory.

Of coarse ther is the english planning regulations that say you can have a flag pole errected but you need planning permission to fly the flag!!??

I was at Tywyn (mid Wales)at easter and did find one union jack flying in the vallies.

Of coarse it could be that all things british (motor cycles, cars, trucks, ship building, coal mining, farm working, nursing, and much much more) is being frittered away by the british government !!!!!

All I hear is "it's a dying trade", it only dies if we let it!

So declare your elegience everyone get the bed sheet out and put a red cross on it for england, and join the Welsh, Scotts and Irish with a splsh of colour.

Steve.
Here Here!!...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The Welsh are still British Dave! they have their own flag as do England Scotland & Ireland!
can anyone explain to me why it is that the welsh have written on the hills approaching wales and around bangor harbor (english out) in large letters?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For the soccer fans on this forum I notice today that the Welsh Dragon has slayed St. George - Brentford losing at home to Swansea 0-2.
Should have read yesterday because the posting was made after midnight and Monday's date was flagged up.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It's nothing to do with pride. If you fly English flag, you get mistaken for a football fanatic. If you fly the Union Flag, you get mistaken for an Empire building racist.

BTW The although the R.N. says the Union flag is only a jack when flown from the jackstaff. It can be called either.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts