Whale blown air heating system vent covers

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I am missing 2 duct covers on the interior of a Bailey Pegasus Ancona GT65, like this one:
https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/caravans/reviews/caravans/details/bailey-pegasus-gt65-ancona/900032

The heating system is a Whale blown air system with Whale 'i Van' controller.
I see that of the two duct covers that remain, one is of the 'directional fitting' design and the other is of the 'fixed fitting' design.
http://whalepumps.com/rv/product-accessories.aspx?Category_ID=10003&ProductType=10352

I cannot figure out what type should go where, I am guessing there is good reason for having different types, but don't understand the reasoning for different designs, with the 'directional' type I can pretty much restrict all air flow, can anyone educate me on this please.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Not going to be a great help but one of ours has no cover and when I questioned this on collection of the van new I was given an answer. I just can't remember back to what the answer was at the time

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Anseo, all my caravans have had the Truma systems and all the vents have been the directional, you can close off certain areas to give more heat to others, or if you find the temp, in the cabin is getting too hot, move the dog from infront of the one in the bathroom.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
First thing i do would be to read the operating and installation instructions or failing that; ask your dealer.

I can think of a possible reason, but is an uninformed guess, :The heater my require a minimum air flow across its heat exchanger to prevent it from overheating. They may insist that the final outlet on a pipe run must be unrestricted to ensure the minimum air flow through the heater is maintained.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thats a good point Prof, never really thought of it, might just remove the last "blocker valve in the toilet area, although thats not a bad Idea as it blows onto the toilet roll, giving a warm wipe on a cold night.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
A question to the folks, as my Truma air pipes , going to the back of the van go under the floor, does anyone know of a big bore insulation to go around the pipes for insulation for the winter,.
Thanks,
Hutch.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Truma sell a65mm waterproof over duct for the standard paper duct. I suspect yours exposed pipes will already have this. As far as i know (certainly 18 years ago) there was no bespoke insulation duct. Caravan manufacturers and DIY'ers sometimes constructed box work around the exposed pipes and filled it with fibreglass., though this generally got wet and mucky.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Don't know about Whale but Trump vents can all be closed. If the heat in the exchanger gets too hot the lower rated of two thermal overload devices will trip.As it cools power is restored. The back up TOD trips at a higher temperature. But does not reset for obvious reasons it is a long stop fail safe device.
Hutch.
All the warm air pipes in the Wyoming are internal. Yours must get very wet!

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the replies folks.

Prof's 'uninformed' view holds water for me, thanks Prof.

I'm one of those who prefers more than "here's what to do"; much as it is appreciated; I like to know the reasons why things need to be done in a certain way :)

I have contacted Bailey on this, I won't comment on the response yet (if at all), lets say we all have busy days and can have momentary lapses of concentration, well I certainly do :eek:hmy: .

So, I have rephrased my question and sent requested photographs to Bailey, hopefully to receive the desired response.

I did not specifically ask Bailey 'why' the vents are configured with different vent cover outlets, but an understanding of this would be very welcome. So if anyone cans shed light on this it would be much appreciated.

I will share any info from Bailey if I can get the answer to my query, it might help others.

Anseo

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Martin24 said:
Not going to be a great help but one of ours has no cover and when I questioned this on collection of the van new I was given an answer. I just can't remember back to what the answer was at the time

Martin,
Can't say I have ever forgotten anything :unsure:
I'm sure that the answer you received must have been an explanation that removed any concerns you may have had.
If you ever remember the answer, let me know please.

An ever unforgetful :p :( :huh:

Anseo

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I'm now on my 3rd email correspondence to Bailey parts department only to find that they cannot help me further, other than suggesting I email customer services department, this I now have done.

I did receive a telephone call from Bailey parts (at my request) that was a positive and I acknowledge it.

I am frustrated and surprised at how much effort I am putting into receiving an appropriate response from Bailey, I wonder why parts department did not ask for advice from technical support or their customer services department on my behalf instead of asking me to do so.

Anyway, full and comprehensive details of my question along with photographs and caravan Vin number sent to customer services, I hope for a positive response this time.

Does Bailey keep an eye on this forum? Hopefully this is just a one off, would hate to have to go through this if an urgent and serious problem had to be rectified.

Let's see what comes next, I have retained all correspondence with Bailey, it makes (shall we say) interesting reading.

I'm getting ready to hang up my kilt outside Bailey's offices as a show of dissatisfaction :) ( I might defer on that for a little while as the weather is bad up here, a cold wind blowing up the Trossach's is not comfortable at my age :unsure: )

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Dustydog said:
http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/90899-new-whale-blown-air-heating-system/
Anseo.
See the link.At the end Whale give full details names numbers etc of their technical support team who will answer all. Maybe you could send them an email.I for one will be interested to know the answer.

Will do Dustydog.

Thank you, good advice, appreciated.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I received a reply from Bailey customer services on the vent covers issue, I'm happy with this.

Does this help for you Dustydog?

Dear Anseo

Thank you for your email.

The front-most vent cover (below the seat and close to the sink) – Fixed vent

The next vent cover (to the right of the ladder below the bunk bed) - Variable vent

As you have a fixed vent at the rear of the caravan there would have been a fixed vent at the front. Due to how the Whale blown air system works, as long as one vent in the caravan is fixed, and cannot be closed, all the other vents can be variable.

Kind Regards

Jo Barrington
Customer Services Co-ordinator
Main:
0117 966 5967
Email:
customerservices@baileyofbristol.co.uk

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It's the same system I have in Elddis Avante. The Main vent into the living area is fixed with no adjustment. The other two outlets near bed and into toilet room are adjustable. Air intake is from toilet room ( great thinking Elddis designers) and not adjustable.
This is to prevent some unthinking owner strying to start the heater with closed inlet and or completely closed outlet

Wonderful

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts