Whale crystal carver water pump airlocks

Aug 14, 2021
Visit site
Hi all
Would like any suggestions on a fix for constant airlocks on whale water pumps, these are the replacement for the old crystal ll pumps on 2006 swift challenger.
on filling the van we only have a trickle at the kitchen and other taps, vanity and shower…
Then in fitting a new pump working ok for a couple days then same again, airlock no water just a minor trickle and nothing from the shower.
Frustrating on a CL!
Drain down valve closed and ok any help be most great full.
Never had a problem before and by the way it’s the first time on serviced pitch so using float valve by aqua roll, maybe putting air bubbles in the system, I don’t know….

cheers
Chris

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Might be over simple, but have you checked the filters that are fitted to the ends of the taps, as on another thread they seem to need frequent unclogging, just take a note of how they come to bits as there is usually a steel mesh and a plastic' mushroom as well as the sealing rubber washer. If this is the case you may have to remove the shower head to give it a thorough cleaning as any gritty matter will have clogged the 'pores' in the head. I leave the filters in mine just finger tight and recheck before every trip.

Reactions: Ginge@72
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Two clues in the OP 1. Only a trickle, 2. no water after the tank has been left for some time, suggest that a non return valve on the entry to the water heater may have been damaged (possibly by frost).

I'm assuming you have a Carver Cascade water heater, where the cold water (lower pipe)NRV to the heater is known to be easily damaged by frost if the system has not been fully drained down before storage in winter. The NRV's shuttle O ring displaces and jams the valve, which restricts water flow into the heater, hence the dribble, and also does not seal to prevent the tank contents from draining out back into the cold water container, hence the apparent absence of water.

Replacing the NRV is possible, and you may find the replacement valve at some caravan spares shops or on line. Care must be taken as the old valves can be quite brittle.

Aug 14, 2021
Visit site
Might be over simple, but have you checked the filters that are fitted to the ends of the taps, as on another thread they seem to need frequent unclogging, just take a note of how they come to bits as there is usually a steel mesh and a plastic' mushroom as well as the sealing rubber washer. If this is the case you may have to remove the shower head to give it a thorough cleaning as any gritty matter will have clogged the 'pores' in the head. I leave the filters in mine just finger tight and recheck before every trip.
Tried this and all clean & good.
Thanks for your reply!

Aug 14, 2021
Visit site
Two clues in the OP 1. Only a trickle, 2. no water after the tank has been left for some time, suggest that a non return valve on the entry to the water heater may have been damaged (possibly by frost).

I'm assuming you have a Carver Cascade water heater, where the cold water (lower pipe)NRV to the heater is known to be easily damaged by frost if the system has not been fully drained down before storage in winter. The NRV's shuttle O ring displaces and jams the valve, which restricts water flow into the heater, hence the dribble, and also does not seal to prevent the tank contents from draining out back into the cold water container, hence the apparent absence of water.

Replacing the NRV is possible, and you may find the replacement valve at some caravan spares shops or on line. Care must be taken as the old valves can be quite brittle.
Hi
Thanks for your reply, the water heater is the Truma 10l ultra store. Disconnected the pump for a while but left it submerged in the water barrel for a few hours, just connected back up and working fine again now, strange…..

Thanks

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
One way with remote external pumps is to submerge in the aquaroll prior to connecting to the caravans water inlet. It helps prevent airlock’s. Seems you have probably discovered it yourself. Hope it’s now sorted.

To obviate pulling the pump or inlet hose out of the aquaroll when the sytem was working but needed the aquaroll filling was to periodically go and fetch 10 litres in a water container. It was then poured into the aquaroll without disturbing the pump or water inlet.

Last edited:
May 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi
I see from your post its the first time that you have been on a serviced pitch so I presume its also the first time using a float in the aquaroll. There are a couple of things to check, have you adjusted the float so the aquaroll level is just below half full and also is the filter before the float clean of any debris as if the level gets too low the pump will airlock

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi
Thanks for your reply, the water heater is the Truma 10l ultra store. Disconnected the pump for a while but left it submerged in the water barrel for a few hours, just connected back up and working fine again now, strange…..

Thanks
No, It's not strange, it's a common problem until you understand it. First of all I'm pleased you seem to have resolved the problem.

To prevent it from happening, you simply have to make sure the pump is never allowed to run dry for two reasons:-

WHen the water level drops to o low, and the pump is exposed to air and not water it will drag some air into the impeller and it can't then develop the necessary pressure to pump the water into the caravan - like breaking a syphon.

Also, if you allow the pump to run dry for any length of time, it will tend to over heat, and it can begin to soften the plastic housing, especially around the shaft seal, and the can let water into the motor housing, which will rapidly cause the pump to fail.

If it does happen again, then just as Otherclive has suggested, unplug the pump from the caravan, just for a second or two, that allows any air in the pump to be displaced by the water in the barrel, and then plug it back into the caravan.

Just a heads up through, when you are storing the caravan over winter do take great care to fully drain down the water system to avoid frost damage.

Good luck

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts