Whale on board pump

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As you will see not a good start to the year with Whale kit on my van. The on board pump runs and pumps well but will not switch off. Book says this is due to either no water supply or leaks on discharge side. Supply is good and as Ive said pumps well. Discharge connection goes immediately to quarter turn ball valve isolater but even when this is gradually turned to fully closed with pump running the pump does not stop and no leakes zare apparant.
To me this indicates ifailure of the internal pessure switch contained in the pump casing.
Has anyone other ideas or suggestions.
Currently in SE Spain and in trouble with SWMBO as this sort of problem is very much my side of the ship

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Ray
sadly I believe your diagnosis is correct.
Can you dismantle and clean the built in pressure switch?
Not sure how long you are in Spain but as a temporary measure I guess you will both have to go manual and use the master isolation switch.
Whale are usually very good and maybe a word with them via email or face time etc may enable them to send you the appropriate part........... not a whole new pump I hope!

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Not familiar with this type of pressure switch pump, but if this is problematic to resolve, you could perhaps fit an old style Whale white pressure switch with the wheel on top in the pump outlet line, as this would be a much cheaper fix for the time being

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for suggestion. By researching other brands of on board pumps I find I can get complete new pump for not much more than price of Whale pressure switch so depending on reply from Whale will probably do so..
A sad and expensive lesson in supporting UK made products.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
The pump - presumably a Sureflo - is designed to switch off when it has pressurised the system to about 2bar or 30psi. If it cannot achieve such pressure then it will continue to run. However if there are no leaks downstream of the pump it could be that the pump diaphragm has punctured or the valves (which are just rubber 'flaps') are not sealing due to silt or calcium build up. You could try removing the pump unit complete and soaking the pump section* in a strong solution of warm water and vinegar. If you have one of the descaling products such as Puriclens with you that is even better.

*The pump is two parts - the motor which is the slimmer barrel at the top, and the pump assembly which is the bulged part at the bottom. Whatever you do you must NOT let water get into the upper part of the pump assembly as this will get into the motor and pressure switch and kill them as well. The pump assembly is two parts - the water inlet and outlet which contains the valves, and the diaphragm which is the'wedge' bit between the two halves of the pump assembly case.

DO NOT take the pump apart as (1) you'll never get it working again and (2) if it is the diaphragm it is beggered any way. You can get replacement diaphragm kits but as I found out to my cost it is very difficult to get them to work.

However if you look in the step in the body of the pump you will see a small circular (silver?) label which if you remove will reveal the pressure switch adjuster. If you can find no other way to stop the pump you have nothing to loose by giving it a tweak.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Pump is Whale and does not appear to have the features described for Shurflo. I think diaphragm is ok as volume and pressue when pump is delivering to an open tap or shower are fine. But it won't switch off when dead ened with isolation valve.
Repacement pump head price is close to price of complete new pump from another maker so this is how I think I shall go.
Original can have done only about 50 hours total over two years of 160 night/ year occupation, and not more than 5 minutes continuuous opperation at any one time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts