Whale tank drain valve

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi folks. We had a problem with water entering the van through the Whale water inlet. Basically what seemed to be happening was if the van was on an uneven pitch so that the offside ( where the inlet is) was even marginally higher than the near side, then water would come in through the inlet socket when we used the pump. All the pipework from the inlet to and from the water tank did not appear to leak. It appeared that water was gathering around the inlet of the socket and pouring into the van when the van was tilted.
The van was going in to the dealers for a service so I described the above in detail in person and in an email. Picked it up yesterday and if the Whale inlet issue was fixed. “ Yes all fixed under warranty“.
Me, happy bunny, asked no further questions.
On inspecting the paper work carefully once we had returned the van to storage, it says that they have “replaced the whale tank drain valve”.
I have very little technical knowledge but I don’t think that this has anything to do with the inlet socket. I am going to ring the servicing department and ask some questions, but would be grateful for any confirmation that what they say they have done won’t have fixed the problem.
Unless, the drain valve wasn't draining and there was backflow to the inlet. Is that a possible scenario or am I just making it up?
It is possible that the “drain valve“ was also leaking and needed replacing of course.
Thanks in advance
mel

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi folks. We had a problem with water entering the van through the Whale water inlet. Basically what seemed to be happening was if the van was on an uneven pitch so that the offside ( where the inlet is) was even marginally higher than the near side, then water would come in through the inlet socket when we used the pump. All the pipework from the inlet to and from the water tank did not appear to leak. It appeared that water was gathering around the inlet of the socket and pouring into the van when the van was tilted.
The van was going in to the dealers for a service so I described the above in detail in person and in an email. Picked it up yesterday and if the Whale inlet issue was fixed. “ Yes all fixed under warranty“.
Me, happy bunny, asked no further questions.
On inspecting the paper work carefully once we had returned the van to storage, it says that they have “replaced the whale tank drain valve”.
I have very little technical knowledge but I don’t think that this has anything to do with the inlet socket. I am going to ring the servicing department and ask some questions, but would be grateful for any confirmation that what they say they have done won’t have fixed the problem. It is possible that the “drain valve“ was also leaking and needed replacing of course.
Thanks in advance
mel
Mel
From your description it isn’t the drain valve that is the likely source of the problem, it sounds very much as if it’s the inlet socket where the leak is arising. Seems as if they weren’t listening or the techie made an assumption.

Reactions: Mel
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Can't quite picture how that could happen, even if the 'o' rings on the inlet were missing I would expect any 'overflow' to be to the outside. Can't remember what van you have now, but is that an onboard tank with drain valve? Good luck with your phone call anyway and hope you are soon properly sorted!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
It is an Elddis Avante 462. Only has the usual Whale hot water tank. I have read about this fault on other forums and apparently the housing is not always as watertight as it should be to external water ( on the pump side) leaking in.
Will be having the conversation tomorrow.
Thanks
mel

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
It is an Elddis Avante 462. Only has the usual Whale hot water tank. I have read about this fault on other forums and apparently the housing is not always as watertight as it should be to external water ( on the pump side) leaking in.
Will be having the conversation tomorrow.
Thanks
mel
Hi Mel i would be contacting the dealer and get them to sort it asap Good luck and keep us updated how you get on

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Rang the servicing place at the dealer who assured me that the water system had been fully tested and it was OK. Also that there was a crack in the drain valve and that had been replaced.
I remain sceptical that the inlet problem is fixed. Trouble is, it only leaked under specific circumstances. Away next week so will fully test.
Still awaiting the parts for warranty work for a leaky window so van will have to go back anyway at some point.
This might be a long running saga. Servicing at the dealer are generally very helpful, so I am not anticipating an argument, just a long process. Thanks
Mel

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Rang the servicing place at the dealer who assured me that the water system had been fully tested and it was OK. Also that there was a crack in the drain valve and that had been replaced.
I remain sceptical that the inlet problem is fixed. Trouble is, it only leaked under specific circumstances. Away next week so will fully test.
Still awaiting the parts for warranty work for a leaky window so van will have to go back anyway at some point.
This might be a long running saga. Servicing at the dealer are generally very helpful, so I am not anticipating an argument, just a long process. Thanks
Mel
Hi Mel hope everything turns out well you appear to have a good idea to watch needs to be done and have nice time next week .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts