Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
I haven't yet investigated this in detail but whenever I connect up my water pump it always takes a bit of wiggling about to get it going. I've bent the terminals slightly on the connector to ensure a tight contact and gave them a bit of a scraping with a flat head screwdriver. Is this likely to be an issue with the connector on the van? I have a DC bench power supply at home so I could always do some tests at home.

Are there any obvious smoking guns I should be looking at?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I haven't yet investigated this in detail but whenever I connect up my water pump it always takes a bit of wiggling about to get it going. I've bent the terminals slightly on the connector to ensure a tight contact and gave them a bit of a scraping with a flat head screwdriver. Is this likely to be an issue with the connector on the van? I have a DC bench power supply at home so I could always do some tests at home.

Are there any obvious smoking guns I should be looking at?

You seem to be doing the right things. But there may be other push on terminals in that wiring that need cleaning and adjusting. For example, at the back of the pump connection socket.

John

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Sounds like I need to get the inlet off for a full investigation.

On a side note, I've been looking at getting a spare pump to keep in the van for when needed. Are those comet pumps fairly univeral? It's a pressure switched system.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
If the pump the OP is using is an external immersion type I would suggest taking the plug apart and checking in there - only a few screws. If water has got inside it can cause corrosion. Been there, done that, etc etc.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
EDITTED with extra content 18th Nov.
From your description it is the Whale square block that needs a wiggle to maintain contact. Difficult to know therefore whether it is the wall mounted socket or the pump block that is the problem. All bits are replaceable but not cheap so worth persevering with cleaning up your current kit to see if that solves the issue. Worth ensuring the 3 spade connections are firmly in place from within the front bunk (just in case dislodged when putting items in there). Also ensure that the block is held captive with the lid horizontal after it is plugged in.
When first starting mine like when the aquaroll has been refilled it does need to be primed to draw in water, usually by leaving the pump submerged and unplugging and replugging the block, but in this case the pump initially runs without drawing in water so that is likely different to your issue

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Sounds like I need to get the inlet off for a full investigation.

On a side note, I've been looking at getting a spare pump to keep in the van for when needed. Are those comet pumps fairly univeral? It's a pressure switched system.

It should NOT be easy to take the whole inlet off as it should have been bedded in. But the terminals should be accessible from under a bunk.

Pumps are interchangeable. But a cheap one may not produce the same pressure. I used to carry a cheap one for emergency use.

John

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
It should NOT be easy to take the whole inlet off as it should have been bedded in. But the terminals should be accessible from under a bunk.

Pumps are interchangeable. But a cheap one may not produce the same pressure. I used to carry a cheap one for emergency use.

John

Thanks. I see the comet ones come in various pressures. As you say, its the square plug which goes into the side of the van which I have to wiggle. I shall do some investigation tomorrow.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Opened the pump connector and have the terminals a proper clean with emery cloth and contact cleaner. Also cleaned up the inlet terminals in-situ. Connects up perfectly now, no wiggling required.

Before and after. Not the best picture but should be good enough to make the comparison:

IMG_0604.jpeg

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
Opened the pump connector and have the terminals a proper clean with emery cloth and contact cleaner. Also cleaned up the inlet terminals in-situ. Connects up perfectly now, no wiggling required.

Before and after. Not the best picture but should be good enough to make the comparison:

Might regular use of a contact spray reduce the risks of recurrence here?

Steve

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts