Whale water pump problems

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi.
I have a 2015 Unicorn Cadiz and currently on a site in Devon.
Having a problem with the water.
I find I have to switch the pump off then back on again to get water from the taps.
When it does run,and I turn the tap off,the pump can still be heard running for about 20-30 seconds.
All was working fine 6 days ago.
Any ideas please?20200913_115507.jpg

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Air in system, poor connection at pump or do you have a adjustable pressure switch. Sometimes they can be ultra sensitive to supply voltage and need a tweak.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thank you Otherclive.
I dont think I have an adjustable pressure switch unless its somewhere else.
It isnt a big deal at the moment,I can still draw water through the taps but I would like to get it running properly(with my limited expertise)🤭20200913_130539.jpg

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I’m sure someone will know for sure but looking at the picture is that some sort of reset button or even an adjuster of some sort that shows on the yellow block at back of where the pump is plugged in, I’ve got a whale pump but it’s not like that on the inside.

BP

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thank you Beehpee.
Just had a look and yes it could be a reset button.
Underneath that button is a green led light thats flashing every 15 seconds.
Maybe someone could confirm that this is in fact a reset button and the correct procedure to reset it please?
Dont want to start pressing things and make it worse😂

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thank you Beehpee.
Just had a look and yes it could be a reset button.
Underneath that button is a green led light thats flashing every 15 seconds.
Maybe someone could confirm that this is in fact a reset button and the correct procedure to reset it please?
Dont want to start pressing things and make it worse😂
Do you have a copy of the system or caravan manual. That might give some information in the meantime.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes ive got the caravan manual here but no whale specific booklet.
The only place it mentions "pressure switch" is above the picture.

"The pressure switch is sensitive to drops in battery voltage.As the voltage falls,should the unit need adjustment,turn anticlockwise"
Then there is the picture of the exterior hose and outside water socket.

Is it possible that there is some sort of pressure switch within this? outside?20200913_135203.jpg

Just done a lot of searching on various Whale websites and apparently it is quite normal for the pump to continue running for a little while after the tap has been closed.
Something to do with protecting the internal components from the sudden stopping of flow.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
The button on the yellow box, is for calibration should only need to be done the once, but sometimes it does need resetting.

Which should be in your manual, think it comes under setting up for the first time section.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thank you Marsh Harrier,JezzerB and everyone👍👍👍

Where my handbook only describes a pressure switch,after your advice re;"recalibration",I followed the guide on the Whale website on how to recallibrate(not pressure switch) and all seems to be well again.

Thanks again one and all.
Beers are on me if ever we meet up🍻🍸🥂

Aug 3, 2021
Visit site
I'm new to this forum but would add for any other readers that we recently bought a Caravan with a new Whale water pump and had all sorts of issues ranging from having to switch on and off, then pump running continuously. Finally I read the book instructions.... Had to press and hold that button until flashing then let go while shower on to calibrate it. After so many secs, as I recall then press the button again. Once done it fixed all of the issues. I just hadn't followed the instructions to calibrate the water system.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm new to this forum but would add for any other readers that we recently bought a Caravan with a new Whale water pump and had all sorts of issues ranging from having to switch on and off, then pump running continuously. Finally I read the book instructions.... Had to press and hold that button until flashing then let go while shower on to calibrate it. After so many secs, as I recall then press the button again. Once done it fixed all of the issues. I just hadn't followed the instructions to calibrate the water system.
I suppose like a lot of people if afert 10 failures, Read the instructions.
Thanks Coachmart, and welcome to the forum.

Reactions: Coachmart
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
You don't say what the problem is except that it will not calibrate. Do you have an onboard tank? There is also the whale pressure switch may need to be set up?
if your shower has the Ecocamel shower head do not use that to calibrate the pump. Use the tap by the washroom basin if it is close by.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts