Whale watermaster IC pump controller

May 17, 2012
Visit site
My van has a whale IC pump controller.
I have calibrated it as per the instructions on numerous occasions and it works OK for a while. Then for some unknown reason it starts to play up. Either not working at all and so no water flows, or water flows but when the tap is closed the pump continues to run. If I turn the pump off then straight back on again it stops running and is ready to go again. I have checked the diagnostic LED which is flashing every 5-6 seconds which says it is calibrated and ready to go.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Jake,

There are a number of possibilities that might explain your symptoms.

Probably the simplest thing to eliminate will be the pump. Water pumps rely on having cold water passing through them to cool the motor shaft seals. If the pump runs dry it will very quickly damage the shaft seals, and that will precipitate the motor failure. If you were to get (or temporarily borrow) a new pump, if that solves the problem then that's the solution, but even if it doesn't, having a spare pump is a good idea anyway.

The performance of the water pump will change with the level of voltage on the caravan battery. If you set up the Whale unit when you have the caravan connected to the mains and the caravans charger is operating the battery voltage will be greater than when the mains is disconnected and the battery has been discharged with usage, which might lead to changes of performance of the pump and the IC system.

It could be your battery is in poor condition and it can't maintain enough voltage drive to power the pump adequately. If you have some 12V lights on, they dim will most likely dim slightly when the pump starts - that is normal, but if they dim significantly when the pump runs then it could point to the battery.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Do you have an onboard tank as the pressure switch may need adjusting first before calibrating. When calibrating you need to use the tap furtherest away from the controller i.e. bathroom tap. Do not use the shower to calibrate if it has one of those water saving heads.
Just to add the pressure switch is not the same as the calibration unit at the back of the water inlet. Ours is fitted near the onboard tank.

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Do you have an onboard tank as the pressure switch may need adjusting first before calibrating. When calibrating you need to use the tap furtherest away from the controller i.e. bathroom tap. Do not use the shower to calibrate if it has one of those water saving heads.
Just to add the pressure switch is not the same as the calibration unit at the back of the water inlet. Ours is fitted near the onboard tank.
Hi, no we don't have an onboard tank. However we did use the the shower as per the instructions, and yes you are right it does have a water saving head. I will try the bathroom sink tomorrow and let you know. Thanks

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Hello Jake,

There are a number of possibilities that might explain your symptoms.

Probably the simplest thing to eliminate will be the pump. Water pumps rely on having cold water passing through them to cool the motor shaft seals. If the pump runs dry it will very quickly damage the shaft seals, and that will precipitate the motor failure. If you were to get (or temporarily borrow) a new pump, if that solves the problem then that's the solution, but even if it doesn't, having a spare pump is a good idea anyway.

The performance of the water pump will change with the level of voltage on the caravan battery. If you set up the Whale unit when you have the caravan connected to the mains and the caravans charger is operating the battery voltage will be greater than when the mains is disconnected and the battery has been discharged with usage, which might lead to changes of performance of the pump and the IC system.

It could be your battery is in poor condition and it can't maintain enough voltage drive to power the pump adequately. If you have some 12V lights on, they dim will most likely dim slightly when the pump starts - that is normal, but if they dim significantly when the pump runs then it could point to the battery.
Hi, thanks for your detailed response. But can I ask one thing? Our van is on mains hook up. Will this alter your response or does the same apply?
Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, thanks for your detailed response. But can I ask one thing? Our van is on mains hook up. Will this alter your response or does the same apply?
Thanks
When I referred to the "mains" that is the mains hook up, and yes when you are connected to the mains depending on how you have set the switches on your power distribution board, The mains will charge the battery. But your comment has me wondering if you have a 12V battery fitted to the caravan or not?

If you do not have a battery, its quite possible the caravans battery charger circuit may not be suitable to run the caravans 12V systems without a battery.

Just to get some background information what make and model and year is your caravan? and do you have the owner's handbook?

May 17, 2012
Visit site
When I referred to the "mains" that is the mains hook up, and yes when you are connected to the mains depending on how you have set the switches on your power distribution board, The mains will charge the battery. But your comment has me wondering if you have a 12V battery fitted to the caravan or not?

If you do not have a battery, its quite possible the caravans battery charger circuit may not be suitable to run the caravans 12V systems without a battery.

Just to get some background information what make and model and year is your caravan? and do you have the owner's handbook?
Hi, yes we do have a battery fitted.
Our van is a Compass capiro 2019 which is almost identical to an Elddis affinity.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts