Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I,m thinking of buying a caravan early next year the vans i have in mind are about 1350kg (loaded) I like the Toyota Rav4 and the Nissan X Trail both 1-2 years old and both diesel versions is the Toyota good enought for the job (away 1 weekend in 3)

any advice would be helpful

Thank You

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Paul

I have the X-Trail DCi 2.2 and am very pleased with it. I did look at the RAV4 but power and weight did not match up to the Nissan but nice car none the less.

David

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The X and Toyota are both good cars .From other postings you can see that I like the X.The reason we didn't buy the Toyota was the way the back door fails to open to a right angle and also it is so low that I have observed people having to remove the ball in order to open the door.Its either this or have one fitted very low.The X hatch back avoids problems with the Alko hitch fouling the spare wheel and gives shelter when hitching up in the rain

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Paul,

I tow a sterling sapphire with a mitsibushi pajero, 2.8 diesel excellent car to tow with, don't even know it is there.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Paul;

I don't tow with either, but I am a bit of a 4x4 nut. There is no comparison between the two. The X-trail is really highly respected 4x4, and gets good comments in all of the 4x4 press and is certainly highly regarded as a tow vehicle. The Rav4 though a very reliable and well built vehicle is now showing it's age and I believe has quite a low towing weight. You would certainly notice the difference between the two if you got stuck in a muddy field with your van, the X-trail would get you out, the Rav4? Given that one of these two is your preferance, go for the X-Trail.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I bought a Subaru forester earlier this year and it is excellent both towing and solo. Although it has permanent 4 wheel drive the ground clearance is not sufficient to call it a true off-road vehicle, how often are you going mud-plugging? having traded in a Volvo 850 estate the only thing I miss is the top speed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Paul,

The Rav's ideal 80% towing limit is about 1100kG which is somewhat below the anticipated weight of your new van.

The Nissan would out pull the Rav over all terrain and road conditions, possibly at the price of more fuel burnt.

Additionally don't confuse the two vehicles as being of the same type, the Nissan is one of many 4x4's from around the world that are farm based vehicles that have in my opinion been 'mediarised'as being the answer to all macho person's desires, (have to be pc) the Rav however was designed from the outset as a SUV 'Sports Utility Vehicle' or 'Suburban Utility Vehicle'take your pick, whose four wheel drive ability was to be used at the weekend during varied outdoor pursuits, it is a very good vehicle for this but is not ideal for pulling heavy trailers across muddy fields, although it does cope well in the usual wet Caravan Site situation. John K

ps Yes I have a Rav and a Lunar 390/2.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
JohnK I think you are confusing the X with the Terrano as the X is only three years old and was designed more for on than off road use.It is a monocoque construction (no separate chassis)and I consider mine to be just a big estate car.Superb on road but could pull the van off a field.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Bought a Bailey Pageant Bordeaux last year and an old scorpio estate to pull it. The car was a disaster and broke down contantly. I have 3 grand to buy a towcar and badly need some advive on what to go for please..

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The new HONDA CRV DIESEL might be worth a look. Weighing in at 1650kg and a 2.2l 145hp diesel, it should make a great towcar. The petrol version is already this years best selling SUV.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Further to my posting saying that the X would pull a van off a field.This morning we left a CL pulling the van on grass uphill covered in snow /ice and never even a hint of wheelspin.Impressive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts