What a great service from RAC Europe- read about our drama!!!

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
We left home on the 31st July and crossed to France on the shuttle heading for Las Dunas (stoping on the way) however, we got to Paris agt about 3 AM and gridlock - we were caught in the Parifique for 6 hours of solid traffic doing aprox 100miles before we had a battery warning light come on on our disco 3- we plodded on to the next exit and pulled off when the whole car packed up totally, we called the RAC who advised me to call French police 112 who duly arrived to remove us from motorway and take us to a breakdown yard... this was the worst start of our 3 weeks!! - Fortunately I have a RAC europe policy through the C&C club - Arival-that costs £245 a year- money well spent- RAC told us that they would pay directly for the removal of the rig from the mway 200Euros, they organised a taxi to take us to Orleans to a hotel for a couple of nights, a hire car, and shipping the land rover to Orleans Land Rover dealer for repairs and as the car took 4 days to repair (alternator???)they moved the caravan to Chambord camp site and paid for another 5 nights site fees- Wow-

all paid for and organised by them-- so.. the moral of the story is.... wernt we lucky!! car repaired and collected and on our way- Great!! you couldnt believe it when we came home and got a puncture on the caravan as we pulled on to the shuttle t Calais- got off and phoned the RAC who duly did their bit!! do you think they will renew my policy for next year!! - Because of their help the holiday was a complete success and I urge anyone crossing the water to make sure they have adequate breakdown insurance- you only realise how important it is when you need it!!!!

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I had a similar experience this year in the south of France and like you, I can't praise the RAC enough. Absolutely brilliant service and you can't say that very often nowadays.

Steve W

G

Well it is good to know that the RAC do a good job.

Many here know that I wouldn't ever expect a LR to get very far without a problem so it seems the RAC was a very good idea.

But I do wonder about people using the Periferique, it's not the shortest or quickest of routes and as I and others have banged on about avoiding it unless you are going to Paris and have to use it. I don't have any sympathy for people who use it and then get caught out by one of the very regular problems.

Others should learn from this mistake.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I think this bangs home the message that you only find out how good a recovery service is when you have to use it.

Euro's point about the peripherique is a good one, though. Every year there are questions about it, and since all the 'outer' ring roads were constructed there has been no need to go anywhere near it. The main problem seems to be that SatNavs often give it as the shortest quickest route, and that people follow their SatNav without giving it another thought. It should be 'programmed out' of the SatNav unless you actually want to go somewhere into central Paris, when it makes some sense to use it.

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
I think this bangs home the message that you only find out how good a recovery service is when you have to use it.

Euro's point about the peripherique is a good one, though. Every year there are questions about it, and since all the 'outer' ring roads were constructed there has been no need to go anywhere near it. The main problem seems to be that SatNavs often give it as the shortest quickest route, and that people follow their SatNav without giving it another thought. It should be 'programmed out' of the SatNav unless you actually want to go somewhere into central Paris, when it makes some sense to use it.
I take the Perifique comments on board, we only went that way s it was traelling through the middle of the ight!! Forgot a about the rest of euro going that way tenas wel!! a for the LR disco 3 - good when running well but disaster area as soon as the garage gets involved- Land rover Orleans charged me 1000-00 euros for a new alternator and battery!! ouch

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
It should be remembered that France is a country whose custom is that a large proportion of the population takes a holliday in August .... most in the first two weeks

Hence post on these forums like the above ... 6 hour traffic jams a 03.00hrs around Paris.... gridlock at the Baie de Somme.....

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jim

We didn't have as much bad luck as you but did have alternator problem in France, we were with the Carefree europ assist scheme they arranged recovery of the Discovery from the site and repair at French garage.Other problem was poor radiator circulation so had to keep the heater on to stop the engine overheating, moral seems to be to keep away from France in a Discovery or make sure you have breakdown cover.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts