What appliances can be used whilst on 'hook-up'

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
Martin24 said:
Don't forget that there is no such thing as free electricity. The current trend of "I've paid for the hook up so I'll use as much as I can" :angry: puts the prices up for everyone and is one of the factors that has put CL/CS prices up considerably over the past ten years or so. :angry:

Probably because we've spent so much time without ehu we are still quite thrifty with the electric when we are on hook ups. The gas grill is fine for toast and the whistle of the gas kettle is so much nicer than using an electric one. If it's cold in the awning, either put a fleece on or go sit inside there's no need for heaters on out there at all.

I think the only time we use the microwave instead of the oven is a crafty heat up of a chocolate pudding or the occasional microwaveable rice.

We don't ever take hair dryers, slow cookers, induction hobs or any other type electrical stuff for beauty or food prep. It's a holiday from all that sort of thing.

We've moved over to needing the ehu to charge my wheelchair at night but when I eventually get around to purchasing the correct inverter we'll probably not bother with an ehu ever again.

I have noticed that some sites seem pretty extortionate :eek:hmy: and agree with you on the 'we're on holiday from that sort of thing' :lol: Have purchased a gas top kettle for the exact reasons you mentioned, not to use the electric and because hearing a whistling kettle reminds me of my dear old Gran :) and isn't toasting under a grill part of the camping/caravanning fun ;) . Glad you mentioned about the wheelchair, was wondering if there would be a problem charging my husband's one but you've just answered that. Thank you :)

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
VicMallows said:
Dustydog said:
The Clubs both take a sensible view and supply us with unlimited 16amps

On CAMC sites they generally charge for EHU whether you want it or not. Sensible?

At least C&CC offer the option of EHU/non-EHU. with a price differential of around £5.50. (inexplicably, at CitF sites the differential is now considerably greater).

We can be, and often are, self sufficient. If there is an option, we don't pay for EHU; not because be are mean, but because we are quite happy without it. If it is included whether you want it or not, we of course make use of it!

My personal preference is for metered electricity. This is now the norm in the majority of yacht harbours/marinas.

We've booked into a site local to the dealer, for the first few days after collection and they asked how much electricity did I want to purchase, she suggested £1 per day, I think that seemed fair, but then I'm completely new and wouldn't know the difference :lol: but I think if we all paid for what we needed, people may think twice about wasting it and the site fees won't increase accordingly ? Then again maybe I'm totally wrong :unsure:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts