What are people paying?

Jul 21, 2022
Visit site
Hoping people can help with this, we're new to caravans having changed from a motorhome and we collect a week today.

Currently looking at caravan insurance and it's proving to be a minefield. I've searched through and seen various comments about certain companies not being as favourable etc so have looked around.

So far I've had annual quotes ranging from £209 to nearly £1500. So whilst I appreciate there are many variables here, my question is what are people paying and who with?

Whilst I'm happy to pay the right money for good cover, I don't want to get ripped off.

Thanks

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hoping people can help with this, we're new to caravans having changed from a motorhome and we collect a week today.

Currently looking at caravan insurance and it's proving to be a minefield. I've searched through and seen various comments about certain companies not being as favourable etc so have looked around.

So far I've had annual quotes ranging from £209 to nearly £1500. So whilst I appreciate there are many variables here, my question is what are people paying and who with?

Whilst I'm happy to pay the right money for good cover, I don't want to get ripped off.

Thanks
The two clubs have excellent reputations for their services should a claim be made. They aren’t the cheapest but when I used to shop around they weren’t that expensive either.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
New to us van in FEB, had been with C&CC for over 10 years, they wanted £409.00 for £21,500 cover, joined the CMC and there's was £291.00, also when RAC arrival runs out in Sept we are going to go with May Day with CMC, also being cheaper. but bear in mind this may be new customer rates and may be different next year.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
New to us van in FEB, had been with C&CC for over 10 years, they wanted £409.00 for £21,500 cover, joined the CMC and there's was £291.00, also when RAC arrival runs out in Sept we are going to go with May Day with CMC, also being cheaper. but bear in mind this may be new customer rates and may be different next year.
Just renewed my Maday Recovery, £87, same as last year.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Insurers are not allowed now to give lower premiums to new customers as inducements.

Reactions: Gagakev
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

Thanks

You have zero No Claims Discount built up so for first year price will be high. We have used Towergate and CAMC and have had claims with both and there was no quibbling! Currently with CAMC and paying £450, but we have a very high value caravan and are New for Old.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
CAMC last 20+ years.
Not the cheapest nor dearest . Excellent broad cover available by choice. Decent attitude on claims.

This years premium £618 gross. £235 net based on market value up to fixed sum insured. Various discounts given for security , storage , caravan courses etc plus loyalty and accrued NCB.New for old no longer available as caravan over 15 years.

Whoever you choose make sure you fully understand their security requirements at all times. Stick to them rigidly.
Failure to adhere may result in tears in the event of a claim.

Jul 21, 2022
Visit site
Thanks very much for everyone's feedback, it's much appreciated.

We haven't checked CAMC yet so we'll do that today.

It's really difficult grasping the different security requirements as only certain models are listed. We bought a Milenco Wraith wheel lock and Milenco hitch lock as they were marked as Insurance Approved but neither have been mentioned anywhere 🤷🏼‍♂️

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
CAMC have never specified the make of lock security to me.
I use Two Al-ko wheel locks, a bulldog hitch lock, pir intruder alarm, tilt, movement sensor alarm Non Cassoa alarmed farm storage and sometimes on drive at home for preparation .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks very much for everyone's feedback, it's much appreciated.

We haven't checked CAMC yet so we'll do that today.

It's really difficult grasping the different security requirements as only certain models are listed. We bought a Milenco Wraith wheel lock and Milenco hitch lock as they were marked as Insurance Approved but neither have been mentioned anywhere 🤷🏼‍♂️
CMHC did not specify a particular makers security devices only for them to be fitted. But if you had Alko wheel lock you could get a 10% reduction. I declined that option given that I didn’t want the hassle of the Alko lock on sites. I had it with me just in case but used a lighter weight Milenco on the wheel. I think the Milenco Wraith or it’s similar Purpleline one are an excellent compromise between security and ease of fitment.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Like all things in life you normally get what you pay for, and the cheapest ones are usually less reliable than the most expensive. Policies should have at least four star DEFAQTO ratings but preferably five. If none is quoted the policy is risky although not all are a problem but the rating shows you are getting the industry best standard. With out this you do not know and if the company cannot be bothered to get this then you have to wonder what else they are not bothered about.
Both clubs have the rating and have an excellent reputation although I have dropped the C&CC policy as I am nt happy with things happening with their broker. The CAMH is just too expensive for me and I have settled for Cravanguard who are reputable and reasonably priced.
If you do not know the company it is worth googling their claims reviews to see what others say, it is when you have a claim that you really find out if you have made the right choice. Ignore the FEEFO and other reviews put forward, as if you check then they tend to be from people who say how easily they took your money, and they virtually all do that.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Couple of years ago a car parked in a lay bye behind us left her handbrake off and it ran into back of van,club insurance paid out with no problem, the premium was around £ 60 then. Almost to the day one year later next door neighbour had his concrete fence post leap out to hit rear of van. Our insurance only went up a few pounds

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts