what atracts you to a site?

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Myself and her in doors are planning weekends away and trying to compromise on different locations.

I like sites with good facilities, near to places of intrest or towns to explore and look around.

Julia likes basic rustic sites as the van has all the facilities, located out in the rolling countryside for piece and long country walks.

as this is leading to some debate, thought id ask the questions, what do you look for in a site and what type of location do you favour.

Cheers
John

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I like big pitches preferably hedged. Facilities for children and particularly teens. If it was just me and OH this would not be the case but if the boy is amused we have a better time. Near to a beach or theme park and not too far from a town/city with some interesting things to see (preferably a good cathedral/castle/industrial museum). The thing I hate most is being packed in like battery hens.
mel

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi John, now come on, it's quite simple really is'nt it ?
You Drive, OH follows
smiley-laughing.gif

But then again if she is like mine (ha ha) you can compromise and alternate your location's.

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Quite simple really. A CL, therefore a max of 5 units, of at least 1 acre in size, therefore not crowded. Basic facilities, therefore not too popular so always easy to book at the last minute. A good pub within easy walking distance & that’s it, I’m happy.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Peace, quiet. Not bothered about shower block but must have good walks either on or just off site for us to go with the dogs.
If there are nice views from your pitch then it's a bonus.
I prefer wooded sites to plain open field sites.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
John
Send me Julia's address etc, lady after my own heart!
smiley-laughing.gif

My Springers love the open air , countryside , long exciting dog walks, pub at the end with good grub. Why on earth do you want to stay in a town? Having worked in in the City of London all my life, all I want is the country. Granted some of the Town guided walks are good but you can still pitch in the country and have views and good services.

Anyway we use ours well away from civilisation,our own shower is great and it's no problem using the toilet.
Sorry John to sound conceited, get a life and be one with nature!!
smiley-cool.gif

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
starlight dj said:
Myself and her in doors are planning weekends away and trying to compromise on different locations.

I like sites with good facilities, near to places of intrest or towns to explore and look around.

Julia likes basic rustic sites as the van has all the facilities, located out in the rolling countryside for piece and long country walks.

as this is leading to some debate, thought id ask the questions, what do you look for in a site and what type of location do you favour.

Cheers
John

I go along with Julia on this one. Why bother with a caravan John if you want " places of intrest or towns to explore and look around".
You could achieve this by using Travel Lodges or other similar places. On special deals you can book some Travel Lodges for as little as £9 pppn. Even paying full whack would be cheaper if you factor in the cost of a caravan, insurance, sites, depreciation, decent tow vehicle etc.
ETTO I suppose but you will find that the sites that you probably will like, sites like the CC site Rowntree Park at York, will be difficult to get on to and if it's a private site they are often more expensive due to the add-ons.
Julia, show him who is boss and wears the trousers
smiley-smile.gif

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
VIEWS every time! We always go for CLs as all we need is somewhere to pitch. EHU are a bonus and fully serviced pitches are heaven (long showers without having to turn the water off while I shampoo and shiver is a bonus). We’ve just booked a CL near Colchester for next weekend which provides fully serviced pitches and a view – this has the promise of perfection!

As members of the Caravan Club, I have requested that they should consider providing a members feedback option on CLs. This would enable members to make more informed choices about which sites to choose. The basic details found on the CC site doesn’t really tell you very much. I often resort to the UK Campsite web page in order to discover more about the CLs.

I would love to hear of any other CLs with a view and water hook ups.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
starlight dj said:

Cheers
John
We like nice sites with good views whenever possible but we are prepared to compromise on the view if our chosen site is in a part of the country that we want to visit and if the facilities are good and the site isn't too expensive.
We've used our caravan to explore towns as well as the countryside, we had a lovely week just outside London for £75 and we've come to regard our caravan as our hotel room on wheels. We plan to visit the area around Windsor when we get the chance and we also go to places like the Wye Valley and the Peak District.
City, town or countryside, it's still somewhere different for us to explore.
We look for bargain breaks on the internet, we visit lovely villages that we'd never have noticed when we go on rallies, we've also stayed in places such as the Eastnor Castle deer park and the landscaped grounds of Weston Park.
We always travel with a sense of adventure and an open mind and we take life as it comes, if we happen to visit a site that we don't enjoy we just go somewhere else next time and chalk it down to experience.
We use our caravan to visit general locations rather than to sit inside on a caravan park so even the not so good sites have some redeeming features for us even if it's just a pub down the road.
smiley-cool.gif

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
What attracts you to a site?? good question.
As someone who lives in a large village on the edge of a city, and who on a daily basis has to contend with heavy traffic, DIY'ers hammering away, noisy kids playing in street while dodging the traffic, and not been able to have the doors open in the summer evenings because of all the party BBQ's going on,
An attractive site would be very quite, as isolated as possible, adults only, with a lake on pond on site or nearby for the evening fishing session, in other words one that provides an escape from normality,
sites like roundtree park would be too much like home for us to bear and would never go there,
colin

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I think we are the exact opposite to colin above
smiley-tongue-out.gif

As parents of an energetic 6 yr old boy (and a 9mth girl) our first shortlist is based on distance we want to travel. At the moment we are restricted to about 100 miles from home, due to our 9mth old not being the best in the car seat.

We then look at areas that look interesting to determine direction, eg forest areas, natural beauty, coast line etc.

Next on the tickbox is playground facilities. We would be the worst parents in the world (quote 6yr old going on 15) if the site didnt have one. Not just any one either. The C&CC ones with whom we are a member just dont cut it anymore. We need tall slides, monkey bars, rope walks etc etc.

Then f we can find one with an onsite bar or pub for a nice pint and a bit of pub grub a few evenings before the kids go to bed, then even better.

These sites tend to be few and far between but we have found them! unfortunatly they are also the ones charging £30 a night for a pitch.

In terms of what we do when we are there, we just make use of the site office leaflets or staff advice and plan days out with whatever is in the area.

we dont like commerical sites like Haven etc but we dont mind one full of kids running around. In fact we would prefer it as then we dont feel guilty if ours wants to do the same.

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
Why bother with a caravan John if you want " places of intrest or towns to explore and look around".

isnt the point of a caravan being able to go anywhere? i cant recall it saying on the sales brochure "for those that one want to explore countryside. NOT for use near towns or places of interest"
smiley-tongue-out.gif

We stayed at Barnard Castle C&CC site last year which is literally 1 mile out of the town yet set in acres and acres of surrounding countryside and forest. A short walk into the town to explore the castle or locality, or a walk around the country lanes/bridleways and it suited everyone. Im not suggesting this is the only site like this but i think there are plenty of sites out there where both 'interests' can have their cake and eat it.
smiley-cool.gif

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
andy72 said:
I think we are the exact opposite to colin above
smiley-tongue-out.gif

we dont like commerical sites like Haven etc but we dont mind one full of kids running around. In fact we would prefer it as then we dont feel guilty if ours wants to do the same.

Yes you are the opposite to the ol' tyke
smiley-smile.gif
and a few more including me if the kids have been bottle fed on coke
smiley-laughing.gif

You made the comment about £30 pitches and this is why I gave an alternative view. Besides, Julia promised £10 for any posts supporting her choice
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
In just over the 4 years we have owned our caravan, I can probably name all the sites we have been on as they only add up to 8 or 10 places
smiley-embarassed.gif
Anston cantlow, for our first outing because we wanted to visit Stratford O.A. one just outside Shrewsbury, for visiting Shrewsbury, Moreton on the marsh, for visiting Oxford, Rowntree because it was in York. we used denham to visit London.and last Easter used one near Earith to visit Cambridge.
OK so we have also spent an easter at Skeggy, one at hunstanton, and this year we are going to west Runton near Cromer.
one summer trip to Walton on the naze and last year spent a week near Scarborough.Add to that two cancelled trips one to Scotland grantown on spray because of wifes health and one to Devon because the weather forecast was shite for the whole 2 weeks, and that just about covers all our caravan exploits.
We use it to getaway in the UK, towns or countryside both bring there pleasures to caravanning.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts