What awning ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Being fairly new to caravanning I am considering getting an awning but what type ?

Having seen others on site with a full awning, it seems to take a long time to erect and sometimes even more time to take down especially when wet. Other have a convential porch awning but these seem to range from the really rubbish types to some really well constructed types like the Isabella. Other have the newer lightweight porch awnings like the senic but I have seen these break in relatively light winds causing damage to the caravan. Other use the caravan store type which give some shelter but can be rolled up quickly when needed.

I like to be able to use my caravan virtually all year so need something which is going to cope with all conditions.

Any views and guidance would be appreciated

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
James,

been caravanning for 30 yrs and my own preference is a full size awning.

In warm weather I can zip front and sides off and its just like a canopy.

It prefer alloy poles to keep the weight down,a little more expensive but worth the extra.

I use it all year round and if it is wet when I leave,I put it up at home to dry out(luckily I have the caravan parked in my back garden.

I have heard of people hanging the awning in their attic to dry out.

It is a caravanners pet hate..taking down a wet awning but the extra space and pleasure it gives can outweight the hassle.

In my humble opinion,if you only plan to purchase one awning, make it full size.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Tie-down kits are OK, but take care when fitting one. They have a tendency to rub the awning and cause splitting of the canvas. Also it is useful to cut a highly coloured ball (tennis is OK) and stick it over the ends of the tie-down part - nothing worse than forgetting they are there and you catch your foot (even worse toe) on one!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I use my old golf club protectors,cut off the ends,slide over the straps of the tie-down kit and place then at point of contact.They are made of a furry type material which was quite trendy in the 70's.........seriously though they do the job.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi james we use a doema full awning which we are very pleased with when we first got it did take while to put up but marked the frame with clouered tape and now takes about 30mins and it gives us so much extra space. it can be a paine if its wet but once the sun comes out it dose'nt take long to dry,mind we don't use it if we out just for a couple of day's in the winter.happy vaning peter

May 12, 2005
Visit site
I use an 8ft porch awning for short stays/weekends and only use the full awning for stays of more than a week, I tried the light wieght awning, it really felt flimsy and lacked enough space inside(my dogs sleep in the awning)as for storm straps you can get Buckles fitted to take straps some awnings come with them on,

my first one I bought from Barons G Outdoors Copell had them on,

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
Why not buy a second hand awning & see how you get on with it? New ones are expensive, but if you want to change you should be able to sell on a second hand one without too much loss. Most dealers have them, as they take them in part-ex, but rarely sell them with the caravan!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the info and advice. I have contacted my dealer who has several used awnings to fit my van. As Jo has advised I think I will go for a full "used" awning to see how I get on.

Nov 9, 2005
Visit site
Tie-down kits are OK, but take care when fitting one. They have a tendency to rub the awning and cause splitting of the canvas. Also it is useful to cut a highly coloured ball (tennis is OK) and stick it over the ends of the tie-down part - nothing worse than forgetting they are there and you catch your foot (even worse toe) on one!!!
we use a couple of bath sponges to stop the strap rubbing the awning where the poles are

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts