What do you do ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Give you all something to think about instead of taking a pop !

What do you do if you pass another outfit and the number plates don't match ?

Ignore it and hope it's not stolen ?

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
OOOH Thats a good one Dave

Erm I would like to think I could have an easy way to perhaps check but I honestly wouldnt know what that would be?? Apart from the CRIS register what is there? wouldnt phone the police I dont think, um Baffled

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Personally I would take both numbers and use my hands free mobile (thought I better emphasise that!) to report it to the police.

After all if it was stolen - there but for the grace of God go us all.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
OOOH Thats a good one Dave

Erm I would like to think I could have an easy way to perhaps check but I honestly wouldnt know what that would be?? Apart from the CRIS register what is there? wouldnt phone the police I dont think, um Baffled
You need good eyesight to get the CRIS number as your passing the outfit on the motorway ! Parked up is a different matter.I agree you don't want to waste police time but........

Jun 9, 2005
Visit site
it wouldnt do any harm to contact the police,most caravanners usually carry their documents or copies anyway.better the police pull them over than letting it go.it could save someones van .Gordon

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Dave sorry I know that sounded thick but I am new to caravanning and dont know how the CRIS system works,whether its just the van or ties a certain car and van together!! Thats why I said though I;D like to help I wouldnt know how!!!!!!Would try and maybe find the local police no. but no I would not phone 999 I stand by that bit, sorry for bieng naive!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dave sorry I know that sounded thick but I am new to caravanning and dont know how the CRIS system works,whether its just the van or ties a certain car and van together!! Thats why I said though I;D like to help I wouldnt know how!!!!!!Would try and maybe find the local police no. but no I would not phone 999 I stand by that bit, sorry for bieng naive!!

Don't apologise ! The CRIS number is etched on the caravan windows, the theory is that it is both too expensive and arouses dealer/manufacturer attention if someone requested a new set.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tina

I drive circa 30K miles a year and on several occaisions have called 999 having seen an accident or on one occaision a driver who was either very ill or drunk. Turned out he was a drunk driver already banned and had stolen the car having got drunk again.

On all occaisions the Police were great. In fact I got a nice phone call from them on one occaision thanking me for reporting an accident as someone was badly injurred.

I do not think the Police would mind you ringing 999 if it helped them increase their crime clear up rate!

Billy said he was an ex Policeman - what does he think?

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Ask yourself this one, how many times have you seen a reg number scrawled on a piece of cardboard and stuck to the back window of the van which is different to the official one ?

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Good point Clive but we are talking potential lives at risk there,I think to ring 999 would be potentially tying up a line to take these calls,the police would proably not be deployed to a "Possible" stolen van.Also if the van had been reported stolen then to ring a non emergency number would probably access these details qucker!I dont know if you have heard of this but there was talk of bringing out an

"888" number for things just like this!.Maybe Billy knows!I know when we had a car stolen and phoned the police all we got was a crime number for the insurance!

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
I would always like to inform someone, but like many would not dial 999.

So, how about dialling crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 and asking them to inform the local police. that way, you don't have to look up the number for the local police force

Steve

Apr 3, 2005
Visit site
When I made my first trip with my caravan after buying a new car I had a cardboard numberplate stuck over the original number on the back of the caravan. I was followed along the A550 for several miles by a police Volvo T5.

Bearing in mind this was around 9.30pm, I had a cardboard numberplate, I'm only 21, and towing with a 2003 3 door ford focus (17" wheels & lowered suspension) you would have thought they would stop me for a quick check?

After we entered some dual carriageway they overtook me slowly, they looked at me, I looked at them expecting them to ask me to pull over, but they just carried on!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Regards different number plates I discovered this year that the Dutch have to register their caravans, if over a certain size. Thus they will have a number for the car and another for the caravan, I am told this an attemt to stop theft.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts