What does the dealer expect you to hand back when you replace your caravan?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If you ever buy a new van from a dealer what do they expect back from your old van? I thought the normal electric lead and step but what about the Tv and Alko wheel locks which now come as standard with the van.
This has only come to light when just before Xmas i was at a dealer and a couple were exchanging their Bailey Unicorn and the dealer wanted the Tv and locks back as they are now standard equipment with the van, he said the next buyer of the van expects these items?
The couple had a choice either knock some money off or leave the tv and locks to be placed with their old van?
Do you think the dealer is right?

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
When we exchanged our Senator for a Unicorn we gave back everything that came with it when we bought it new, after all we got new everything with the Unicorn anyway.

Mike

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Everything that was standard when the caravan was new should go back in with it - unless you negotiate differently. The only exception is the 25m EHU cable as the dealer can't sell that on unless HE pays to have it re-tested and certified. If it's a private sale then even the EHU cable should go with the caravan.
If an item is standard now but wasn't standard at time of purchase then you can retain it, even if you had it added as an optional extra at cost - eg a mover.
As the Unicorns got a TV as standard, AFAIK, it should go back with it.

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Anything that was standard in the van at purchase.Optional extras you purchase,ie if wheel lock reciever was fitted but you paid for the lozenge extra that can be kept.Dealers do not normally require EHU leads or steps back as there is a safety issue with these if re-selling.I have 7 EHU leads and 5 steps in my garage.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
When we swapped the Vendee for the Wyoming they took everything back, including the EHU cable but not the original waste container. I have three in the loft. They took the pump too although that would have been no use to me as we have a different on board system. I had my 110 amp leisure battery transferred to the Wyoming and that still works well eight years on.
I seee all the answers so far , me included seem to relate to new purchase. I wonder if the same holds true for a 2nd hand px?
smiley-undecided.gif

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Umm.. I don't know! if i was buying a second hand unicorn would i expect the second hand TV to be included in the deal?? probably not..
I hope the dealer does not expect the same when i trade in the conqueror, as the first thing i did was to stick the two crappy Alko wheel locks onto ebay
smiley-wink.gif

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
I would say if anything is standard equipment it goes back with the van except the lead and step and anything else you keep.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
When i trade in , if i do, the caravan will be at lest 7 years old, unless is problematic.
So what use will a 7 year old tv be, that must be pat tested by the dealer before he can sell it on?

I think it only really applies to those that trade in every couple of years?

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
I seee all the answers so far , me included seem to relate to new purchase. I wonder if the same holds true for a 2nd hand px?
smiley-undecided.gif
As the pauper of the forum, I part exchanged my 1995 Abbey for a 2008 Fleetwood last year, and the dealer insisted we leave the EHU cable, step and the pump in the van and we would receive the same with the Fleetwood.
Bear in mind my pump had only been used twice and the cable and step (metal) were less than 6 months old.
On handover there in the Fleetwood was a plastic step, a dis-coloured ropey looking EHU cable and what looked to be a fairly new pump.
On asking the dealer why I give a good metal step and get plastic one he replied, keep which ever you want as long as there is something in the van, so I kept my steps, and my lead but the pump was a differant fitting so I lost out on that one but it was fairly new any way.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Now here's the predicament my dear Sir Gagakev.
People like me , Sir Emmerson and other long term stay away knights expose their EHU cables to the ultra violet sun rays and wonder why they are no longer orange .
I hate to think how the Wyomings' roof has faded
smiley-laughing.gif

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There is no specific list of items that formulate a part exchange deal, its down to what ever you negotiate with the dealer you are using.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Prof John L said:
There is no specific list of items that formulate a part exchange deal, its down to what ever you negotiate with the dealer you are using.

But surely if you say you are trading in a 2010 MY whatever, that is as the maker specified at original purchase time what you are trading in, not most of it less the bits you want to keep? Though of course if you say you will take this and that before you contract a price then that is the basis of the deal. As is if you offer the van ‘as seen’ for valuation and it is when seen actually deficient of those bits you intend to keep
I can easily see not returning original supply TVs and Lock lozenges will be making into the hundreds of pounds difference so its is not surprising the dealer needs compensating.
My dealer told me not to leave the EHU lead or step, the inference being she would have to throw them away so if I wanted them fine.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Now here's the predicament my dear Sir Gagakev.
People like me , Sir Emmerson and other long term stay away knights expose their EHU cables to the ultra violet sun rays and wonder why they are no longer orange .
I hate to think how the Wyomings' roof has faded
smiley-laughing.gif
I've thought for a long time that caravans aren't designed to be used or kept outdoors - they leak and fade far too rapidly!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I would tend to agree with JTQ, if the items were the standard spec then the trade in price would take these into account.You wouldnt remove the standard radio or anything else in the van.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi JTQ,
Ther is no difference between a straight secondhand sale or a part exchange, the buyer has to be aware or caveat emptor.

In essence a purchaser should ensure they know or specifiy what they are buying. Simply saying a caravan - what defines it as such?

In all lilelyhood there will be some items that everyone would agree constitutes a caravan, but there will be many items that will be less than universal. But who has that list? and whats on it? It may be a caravan could be defined as containing all the items as supplied by the manufacture or per origional specification, but that is a dangerous assumption.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Advertising a caravan for sale almost always specifies the year, make and model - that defines it's specification when new - whilst "caveat emptor" can never be ignored, virtually all purchasers will assume that the caravan is still to that specification. It's up to the seller to declare if any items aren't being returned so that the buyer knows what they're actually getting - in the example of this thread the buyer is the dealer and the seller is the owner doing the p/x.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi all,
my view is if it was in the van as standard when bought it should be in the van when sold, the only problem could be when things wear out or are changed when faulty, as these are not part of the original equipment,
the other thing to bear in mind is that allthough the van may well be new when bought as soon as it is px'ed it is secondhand and undoubtedly the dealer will remove any parts or items left in the van before putting it on the forcourt the second user would then have to negotiate the return of the items for a fee,
been there done that??

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi all,
my view is if it was in the van as standard when bought it should be in the van when sold, the only problem could be when things wear out or are changed when faulty, as these are not part of the original equipment,
the other thing to bear in mind is that allthough the van may well be new when bought as soon as it is px'ed it is secondhand and undoubtedly the dealer will remove any parts or items left in the van before putting it on the forcourt the second user would then have to negotiate the return of the items for a fee,
been there done that??

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I'll be quite happy to return all the old broken items on trade in, if i do trade in.
I'll obviously have to save such as the microwave when it breaks, so it can be replaced.
smiley-laughing.gif

TRENDING THREADS