What driving licence do I need to tow?

May 4, 2022
Visit site
Hello.

Our caravan weighs 1724kg and car gross weight is the car is 2800kg which makes our outfit over 3.5 tonne.
According to the gov website my car and trailer for my license can not exceed 3.5 tonne?
I passed my driving test in 2019 but on the back my license I have the letters AM, B and fkq.
The BE test no longer exists? So do I need to do a C1?
I've never towed anything before so either way I'll need to do some sort of course.
Can anyone advise on what I need to do to be able to tow legally please.

(My partner is a HGV driver and currently does all the towing - but it would be good if I could tow too to help on the longer journeys)

Thanks

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hello.

Our caravan weighs 1724kg and car gross weight is the car is 2800kg which makes our outfit over 3.5 tonne.
According to the gov website my car and trailer for my license can not exceed 3.5 tonne?
I passed my driving test in 2019 but on the back my license I have the letters AM, B and fkq.
The BE test no longer exists? So do I need to do a C1?
I've never towed anything before so either way I'll need to do some sort of course.
Can anyone advise on what I need to do to be able to tow legally please.

(My partner is a HGV driver and currently does all the towing - but it would be good if I could tow too to help on the longer journeys)

Thanks
That was the original requirement if you only held a B licence, but that has now been dropped since Covid. I don't think it has been reinstated.

Reactions: JTQ

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
That is my understanding also, though best to check .

If I am right: The Government changed thing so those with post 1997 licences enjoyed the same towing rights as those who pasted before 1997.
It means that no longer you need to be tow tested to have the "E" rights.
That right that allows you to tow with "cars"* up to whatever the car can legally can tow.

*By "car" this is a vehicle we think of as a car with a total maximum weight of 3500kg; effectively anything sold as a car. Note that is what the car you can drive, itself is limited to, not what the total weight of the car and what it tows weighs.
For example in round terms a Land Rover Discovery is a car with a maximum loaded weight of 3200 kg, it is allowed by its maker to tow up to 3500kg, so the whole adds up to 6700kgs.
The cars total maximum weight is termed GVW gross vehicle weight.
The total maximum weight of car and trailer a maker allows is termed GTW Gross train weight.
Thus we all now can tow a unit up to the car makers GTW, not the previous post 1997 licence limit of 3500kgs.
There might be so time limit past obtaining a full licence this cuts in, but I suspect with a 2019 lince you should be way beyond this.
But please check, say with one of the two major clubs if you belong to them.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
The B+E test was scrapped by DVLA some time ago.
Your photo licence has to be your renewed every 10 years. Upon renewal you should find it will have B+E entitlement.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For drivers who took their test between Jan 1979 1997 and Dec 21 they were only entitled to drive a vehicle compliant with Cat B. Cat BE could only be obtained by taking and additional towing test. There were some other restrictions related to the weight ratio of the tow vehicle and trailer.

But all these restrictions were changed in Dec 21, and the law changed retrospectively (which is unusual) so that all drivers since Jan 1997 will automatically be upgraded and awarded with entitlement BE. In practice this now covers all practical caravan and tow vehicle combinations.

The post Dec 21 BE entailment allows the holder to drive a vehicle of GVW up to 3500Kg. And subject to the limits specified by the tow vehicle manufacturer tow an unbraked trailer up to 750Kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) or a braked trailer up to 3500Kg MAM

Whilst you do not identify the proposed tow vehicle. I'm guessing its larger SUV, and provided its Maximum Braked Trailer limit ( see the tow bar data plate ) is equal or greater than the caravan MTPLM, any driver with a full licence can legally now drive the outfit.

The UK caravan industry does advises novice towers to limit the maximum weight of the caravan to no greater than 85% of the tow vehicles kerbweight, and experienced caravanners to limit the caravans weight to no more than 100% of the tow vehicles kerbweight. I stress this is only advice and has no legal impact, but it does make sense to start small and only grow as you gain experience.

Both the caravan clubs offer caravan towing courses. These help train you about not just coupling towing and uncoupling but other important matters such how best to load the caravan to maximise its good towing characteristics. These are really worth considering

Last edited:
Reactions: GaryB
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
For drivers who took their test between Jan 1979 and Dec 21 they were only entitled to drive a vehicle compliant with Cat B. Cat BE could only be obtained by taking and additional towing test. There were some other restrictions related to the weight ratio of the tow vehicle and trailer.

Suspect that’s a typo, should be 1997 rather than 1979

• Sad
Reactions: ProfJohnL

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts