What has happened to Branston Pickle?

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Had to throw away a jar of our favourite Branston Pickle recently, due to a strange taste and thought maybe they've changed the recipe. However I've just bought a new jar and it tastes just the same. It has a use by date of November 2020 so is well in date and the lid was sealed properly when bought. The only way we can describe it is a chemical taste. Has anyone else noticed it?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I assume it is a branded version not a cheaper copy?
I'd return the entire jar and contents to the manufacturer telling them when and where you bought it and your concerns. Things do wrong in food production plants. It is possible an ingredient has degraded or even the jar washing plant failed to rinse the jar correctly before filling.
Our jar contents still taste the same as usual.

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Have just googled 'Strange tasting Branston Pickle' and was shocked to find hundreds of people have found the same thing! It appears that cleaning fluid was possibly not flushed completely out of the equipment and has come into contact with the pickle.The Daily Mail and Daily Mirror have both printed articles on it and I'm surprised there has not been a recall.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
mealsonwheels said:
Have just googled 'Strange tasting Branston Pickle' and was shocked to find hundreds of people have found the same thing! It appears that cleaning fluid was possibly not flushed completely out of the equipment and has come into contact with the pickle.The Daily Mail and Daily Mirror have both printed articles on it and I'm surprised there has not been a recall.

Aha!
I was right . The washing plant. Disgraceful no product recall. Go for the jugular. Did you all feel sick?

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Yes, as other people reported as well, there was a stomach reaction.
Customer Service told me the jars haven't been recalled, but " they have had reports of "taste issues and it is currently under investigation" .
The jar has been returned to them and I will hear back in due course as to their findings.

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
I just opened a new jar and fearing the worst...sniffed cautiously, it smelt Ok so I tried some, it was just as excellent as it usually is.

My cheese sarnie went down a treat with a goodly dollop of Branston on it
(Thank goodness)

I have heard of folks who have mastered the ability to eat a cheese sarnie without Branston, however I'm not sure I believe it.... Sounds like an urban legend to me!

Anyway I would not like to try and attempt it, it's Branston all the time for me!
Usual disclaimers etc..
As always
Happy Caravanning
paws

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
paws said:
I just opened a new jar and fearing the worst...sniffed cautiously, it smelt Ok so I tried some, it was just as excellent as it usually is.

My cheese sarnie went down a treat with a goodly dollop of Branston on it
(Thank goodness)

I have heard of folks who have mastered the ability to eat a cheese sarnie without Branston, however I'm not sure I believe it.... Sounds like an urban legend to me!

Anyway I would not like to try and attempt it, it's Branston all the time for me!
Usual disclaimers etc..
As always
Happy Caravanning
paws

Do you mean other towns and pickles are available or product may contain nuts or gluten etc etc etc... ;)

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Glad the jar you got tasted ok.
Like you, we love Branston Pickle in our sarnies.
The offending jars with the chemical taste are from a batch with a Best Before date of November 2020.

Happy chomping!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We never buy Branston as to us it is bland and lacks any decent flavour. Our preference is for Gita's, it costs more but you can taste it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts