What have we all done to deserve such derision? - Another View

Jun 23, 2006
Visit site
I re ran the Vine show compliments of the BBC web site and emailed my scathing view of the Idiot Editor he had on spouting utter twadle.

A colleague and i were on the road today using the M4, A34 and M40 and we've seen about 40 Caravans and witnessed -

1. Very nose up TR7 Triumph Convertible towing very nose down van looking far far from safe.

2. Two unconnected Vauxhall Frontera's again noses looking fit for take off, vans nose down one swaying side to side.

3. Large twin axle on M4 twitching about behind the car in the wind. Large narrow roof box set to the drivers side of the roof instead of central position. As the rear right of the van kept swinging out I presume the roof box position was probably the cause.

4. Car and van and another car that were obviously together on the M4. The car and van set-up no more the 4 metres behind the car at about 70mph with car driver talking on mobile at the same time as the towing drivers partner ???

5. Four caravans that appeared to be in convoy forming a mobile chicane all far far to close to one another, a fifth van rig trying to get past a truck behind them. He braked very hard when they were turning onto the A34 slip road from the M4. He was obviously part of the group and lucky not to have got tail ended when he braked!

6. Laguna towing a Lunar with bikes on car roof, and more swinging side to side om what appeared to be and A frame mount. Front of van looked damaged and van and car looked over loaded.

7. Rear end down van towed by Zafira weaving along the M40 at 65mph. No stabiliser and breakaway cable neatly looped on the tow hitch handle according to my passenger.

8. Elderly looking couple slowly weaving from wrong lane on A34 slip road to slip road onto M4 and them forcing articulated lorry to smoke brakes and swerve violently to miss them.

9. Two or three various unlevel (in my mind) and bouncy ride single axle van set-ups that also looked far from safe as they pitched and sway'd about.

I would hope that none were forum members here but think that they should be. I think that caravan and car insurers should do a safety and legal awareness mail shot with every policy explaining about towing law, weights and loading advice and the consequences of not taking notice of the requirements.

We are not being helped as caravanners when these sort of things can be seen on an average afternoon drive.

We saw some nice stable looking rigs but in the main what we saw today was nothing to help the caravanners cause.

Jun 23, 2006
Visit site
I should have said that my colleague has just recently persuaded his wife to sell there trailer and tent and buy a caravan.

His wife heard the Vine show and was griping, talking about the subject as we drove yesterday, we first saw the iffy looking TR7 rig and then took close note of the various rigs we saw on route.

It was quite and eye opener as to how a few approach caravanning.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Some horrific observations there PC! - none of us are like that I'm sure.

Got to correct you about the top box thing though - top boxes are streamlined lightweight devices with low load limits and will not upset the equilibram of the vehicle as long as they are of recommended size. On my Thule box you are actually advised to fit the box on the near side of the roof to aid fixing and loading. You could also end up using a step ladder if you are smaller or the vehicle is tall.

Talking of PCness( nothing personal) but also in the Thule instruction manual is a picture of a dog sitting in the box with a cross through it, like the no smoking signs. I mean can you in your wildest dreams imagine someone transporting a dog in a top box. Although some of your "observed" vanners just might I supose!

Jun 23, 2006
Visit site
The roof box was sat quite high as the cross bars sat high over the standard roof bars. I'm aware of the neat Thules box's but his was Quite a tall squarish box. We were near to the van for about 5 miles and as the weather was changing and we got gusts of wind the caravan rear only twitched outwards to towards our lane.

We guessed that the box on the right deflect air over the van but the vans front left was taking more of the lop sided air flow forcing the rear right hand side outwards. As we ended up alonside the van you could see the driver acting to correct the steering even with stabiliser fitted.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts