What is the attraction of an Airstream?

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Recently PC magazine reviewed the Swift distributed Airstream and personally I can’t see the reason why anyone would want one.
The overweight construction method doesn’t really suit U.K. cars and fuel costs.
The interior isn’t that well appointed when compared to U.K. and European offerings.
Maybe the idea is the Airstream will be a seasonal pitch van. However the cost of near on £80k for the smallest van makes those large sited vans very attractive.
I might have got it all wrong and the Airstream is the best thing since sliced white pan but I don’t think so.
Please tell me what I’m missing and what is the appeal?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Airstream has a supposedly "Iconic" label attached to it, probably because of the highly shiny aluminium skin.
Also at the prices commanded by them they are certainly in the bracket of "LOOK AT ME, I have more money than sense !!!!!"

Having had the misfortune to work on them repairing items within them I hate them !!!! They are so fragile in many areas that they are an engineers nightmare, and just an example, trying to remove the fridge involves dismantling a lot of the inside to extract it !!!

Going anywhere near the pristine outer skin is a damage claim waiting to be filed !!!

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
I was under the impression Airstreams were a grown up Eriba when it comes to construction but you have pointed out this isn’t true.
What’s always bothered me is condensation with all that bare aluminium on the inside. Are they insulated well?

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Scrap value, in fact do that many people in the States tow an Airstream, my son who lives out in CA tows a thirty foot trailer for a quarter of the price of an Airstream

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
I first encountered AirStreams (and big ones!) on a campsite in the former Yugoslavia around 1972. There were about 10 'vans, complete with mainly Cadillacs to tow them, accompanied by their American owners. They were on the 'grand-European-tour-of-a-lifetime'. (Just the cost of shipping the vehicles over doesn't bear thinking about).
The thing that really sticks in my mind is the way they had all pitched in a 'wagon-train-style' circle, and they held 'boy-scout-style' ceremonies around the American flag at dawn and dusk! ..... in what was then of course very much still a communist country. Individually the owners were very pleasant, and most impressed that we had been right down to the Albanian border in our hand-painted HA Viva and ridge tent.

Living in the US in the mid to late 70s, AirStreams were ubiquitous everywhere. By the mid/late 80s their proportion relative to 'conventional' caravans had declined markedly.

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi Vic

As most posts so far have been like yours. Not exactly supporting the “American way” regarding caravans.
What’s in it for the Swift group? Is it a two way deal and now Airstream dealers in the US selling Swifts?
If so I think Swift group is on a winner.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
That will be interesting to see the state of a Swift group caravan by the time it arrives in the US and delivered to a dealer,

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi Camel

Are you suggesting Swift products might suffer some transit damage? Or are you referring to some quality control problems.... surely not :)

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi Mogwyth

Can I ask what’s the attraction?

I cannot see was so good about the Airstream so please let me know , thanks.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I was always told never to have a caravan that had been towed to the dealers behind the delivery lorry never mind bunged on to a container ship, the only Airstream I ever liked was the one that was a bacon butty van on the A5

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
US styling and values have never been to successful in the U.K. Most cars produced in the States have not been commonplace here manly due to size, lack of cornering ability and fuel consumption.
For me the Airstream is nothing more than a waste of good aluminium ( or should that be A-loo-min-umm)! It’s different that’s the only slightly interesting feature as far as I can see.
I cannot see more than single figure sales per year.
Is there any redeeming feature that make this icon of the USA appealing to the U.K. caravanner?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Aesthetically not bad nice shiny face . Must be like an oven in the sun. £80k :eek:hmy:
Do they leak and how much elbow grease is required . :woohoo:
Not for me B)

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I've never once seen a normal, white-box caravan on the road and thought "oooh that looks nice" - it's amazing really how they've managed to keep them looking so ugly for so long and made all of them, across all manufacturers, look exactly the same give or take a few details.

But the Airstream just looks nice - it was actually designed, rather than chucked together in a utilitarian manner. It's like a 1970s Mercedes SL in a sea of Mondeos and BMW saloons. I've never been in one so have no idea if it's form over function, and even if I had it I'd never in a million years spend £80k on a caravan, but I can certainly see why it has appeal.

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
I agree there is a serious lack of imagination in U.K. caravan design.
There are some major design drivers that push all the manufacturers down the same route. Volumetric efficiency or to get as much usable internal space without the external dimensions becoming illegal or impractical.
Price comes into it, tooling, development and custom made parts all add to the final bill.
Of course what the market will stand effects sales. Odd shapes and idea’s cause reluctance in an established market. Deviation from the norm makes buyers nervous and most buyers of new caravans are looking for practical, easy to towing, comfortable and affordable vehicle that is suited to the U.K. conditions and tastes.
I just don’t see how Airstream and Swift see there is a market for them here in the U.K. and maybe most of Europe.

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I'd agree it's not what most people want. But at £80k they don't need to sell many of them to cover their costs do they? It also is probably good for brand exposure - somebody sees one on the road, it sticks in the mind, they go home, Google it and end up on Swift's website and maybe just maybe a few people who do that end up buying one of their more run-of-the-mill caravans.

Must be the same reason Ford now import the Mustang into the UK. Hardly anybody in the UK is going to spend almost £40k on a 5.0 litre V8 that manages sub-20mpg, scores incredibly poorly in Euro NCAP tests and won't fit in most supermarket car parks. But you see one and it makes Ford seem "cool" in your head .. and when you're looking for a hatchback you end up with a Focus ....

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
I can see it’s a great bit of PR for Swift group and it will get potential customers on the forecourt but there will be some customers for the Airstream. I have problems in why will a few buy one. Surely people aren’t just motivated by Shiny bodywork?
If that’s true I’ll have to get the Brillo pads out on the Coachman when I get to p/x it. I try anything to bump up the price:)

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Exactly what is so wrong with UK design? Yes there are a huge amount of quality and reliability issues but if they're so very ugly people wouldn't buy them. If they were impracticable in the application of normal every day use people wouldn't buy them. I actually think the designs and exterior appearance have stayed the same for so long because the majority of purchasers like the look of a particular van and are comfortable with the design. Most layouts available today are the ones people want, enjoy and make the most of a very limited space.

If we look at Fleetwood for example, they dared to be different with what I myself liked both inside and out. Did these models sell? No they didn't the company regretfully folded. For a UK caravan manufacturer they were bold they were different but caravan buyers on the whole don't want bold different stand out design we prefer comfortable designs that are understated and low key.

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Well like you say most people want reliablity, functionality and practicality out of a caravan - I know I do. That and no other choice is why they buy the vans which are out there. Your average white box is not really aesthetically pleasing though. Much as I love mine and what it allows me to do, I do think it's a bit of an eyesore.

There doesn't seem to be much alternative out there though. I've not heard of the other manufacturer you mention but if I could buy something that looked like an Airstream but was well built and comparatively priced to UK vans, I would in a heartbeat.

But then I'm probably the wrong person to answer as Mrs Tuffty is an American, I married her and imported her to the UK based mostly on good looks so I'm obviously pretty shallow :p

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Caravans in this country suit the use and users needs.

I don’t personally find the Airstream body design appealing. The segmented sheet metal work used to form the curves and the SS Great Britain riveting adds nothing to the looks.
I also have doubts about the aerodynamic claims made for the body shape. It maybe more aerodynamic than a square box but most modern European style caravans have made attempts to reduce drag.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
So the airsream is distinctive with being the colour it is and all of the rivets on show , imagine what it would look like the same shape same material but white , :eek:hmy: maybe not the same material but the alutec stuff that we have got ours or was that me just sounding stupid , could a British builder not build a caravan to the airstream body shape and have that kind of spec & market ? Imagine it white - or maybe not ? ! ? ! :blush:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts