What is the cheapest cost for a caravan battery

Aug 7, 2020
Visit site
A friend of mine suggested I buy from this cheap leisure battery store he found online. But first, I want to make sure first that I’m getting a fair-priced item. Is there anyone here who have purchased one before? I would love it if you let me know how much you got your caravan battery. Thanks.

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
Hi,I have not purchased a leisure battery yet but regarding battery for car, van, motorcycle etc i have always gone for a trusted name etc like yuasa , bosch etc.

do not go for cheapness as its false economy , buy cheap buy twice so they say.

Cheers. (y)

Reactions: JezzerB
Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Spot on Fraseb01
Because we don’t caravan off grid (always choose sites with a mains hook up) and only need to use our motor mover for a very limited time I have only ever used a small car battery.
I’ve always used Tayna batteries as my supplier of quality batteries at keen prices. They deliver to your door.
Very sceptical of Halfords branded batteries as they are sourced from a number of manufacturers, some unfortunately not as good as others.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
A friend of mine suggested I buy from this cheap leisure battery store he found online. But first, I want to make sure first that I’m getting a fair-priced item. Is there anyone here who have purchased one before? I would love it if you let me know how much you got your caravan battery. Thanks.
If cheapness is your only consideration, just use an old car battery - if you're always on hook-up it'll be fine even if you use a mover - we've even done single night stopovers and a weekend's festival with one - but for longer stops without hook-up you'll need a decent leisure battery NOT a cheap one!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I agree that a branded name battery is best. A word of warning regarding internet batteries. If you have a problem it can be the devils own job to return it. A used battery requires a licensed hazardous waste carrier to transport it and as such the normal courier companies won’t touch it. I had to deal with this issue once and vowed never again as it left me £20 out of pocket and a lot of hassle when the fault was not mine. Since then I have gone local and found that actually local outlet prices have come down as competition from internet suppliers has grown.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I agree that a branded name battery is best. A word of warning regarding internet batteries. If you have a problem it can be the devils own job to return it. A used battery requires a licensed hazardous waste carrier to transport it and as such the normal courier companies won’t touch it. I had to deal with this issue once and vowed never again as it left me £20 out of pocket and a lot of hassle when the fault was not mine. Since then I have gone local and found that actually local outlet prices have come down as competition from internet suppliers has grown.
Some years back I bought a leisure battery via the internet - on receipt there was evidence of acid leakage - the supplier readily credited the money but was adamant he wouldn't pay to ship it back and wanted me to dump it.

Reactions: otherclive
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Leisure Batteries can be brought off Ebay , Amazon , Halfords and Tayna it depends on your budget we dont buy the cheapest usually goes what has great reviews .

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Cheapest cheap Second hand car battery from a breaker. But batteries are very variable quality so proceed with caution.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Some years back I bought a leisure battery via the internet - on receipt there was evidence of acid leakage - the supplier readily credited the money but was adamant he wouldn't pay to ship it back and wanted me to dump it.
Dumping a used battery is not a problem with the local authority recycling Center. Like you the internet battery that I bought had an external fault too. One of its carrying handles broke when carrying it. Initially the seller asked me to contact the maker to obtain a replacement. No joy there. So they then just kept kicking my calls to touch saying that they would contact the maker. But after a number of weeks there was zero progress. So I asked for a replacement battery only to be told that electrically mine was fine. By then my patience was running low so I reminded them of my rights and their obligations under consumer law. Eventually they told me that a replacement would be sent but I would have to return the defective one first. That’s when I found out that used batteries can only be carried by licensed carriers. So I rang them yet again to explain and asked would a photo be sufficient? But they wanted it back. There was no way that I was going to drive to the Liverpool area and back. So that was when I explained that I wasn’t going to be messed around any more and would be contacting my credit card company. They then offered to send a replacement providing I packaged the used one with its vent plugs inserted and paid £20. Well who keeps their red vent plugs handy? Fortunately I do. End of saga and never again.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Spot on Fraseb01
Because we don’t caravan off grid (always choose sites with a mains hook up) and only need to use our motor mover for a very limited time I have only ever used a small car battery.
I’ve always used Tayna batteries as my supplier of quality batteries at keen prices. They deliver to your door.
Very sceptical of Halfords branded batteries as they are sourced from a number of manufacturers, some unfortunately not as good as others.

I disagree. I was told a couple of years ago by the local manager that the smooth bodied leisure batteries are Bosch, and those with thin ridges are Yuasa. Given that these plus Varta are probably the tree best makes on the market I know what I would (and did) buy!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Battery brands are fairly meaningless - most lead-acid batteries are made by Clarios, who bought out Johnson Controls battery business in 2019 - they make Optima, Bosch and Varta among many others - I believe Yuasa is still independent though.

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
I disagree. I was told a couple of years ago by the local manager that the smooth bodied leisure batteries are Bosch, and those with thin ridges are Yuasa. Given that these plus Varta are probably the tree best makes on the market I know what I would (and did) buy!
Having been in the trade for the last 30 years you get to know what’s good and what’s not. Halfords batteries have given me (and my customers!) an awful lot of grief over the years. You never know whose battery is under their label.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Battery brands are fairly meaningless - most lead-acid batteries are made by Clarios, who bought out Johnson Controls battery business in 2019 - they make Optima, Bosch and Varta among many others - I believe Yuasa is still independent though.

The battery industry has been hopping and changing now for nearly 100 years. Back in the 1920s Lucas was linked with CAV and Bosch, Exide just keeps going into administration in the US and gets bought on. Banner are independent. An old hand once gave me the advice to look at the same sizes and buy the heaviest!!

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
A good battery well treated will last you years, buying cheap is often a false economy. Leisure and car batteries are made for different purposes and until readin the thread had never heard of car batteries being used in leisure vehicles. Look for a battery with a good guarantee from a local supplier for a bit of security.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
A good battery well treated will last you years, buying cheap is often a false economy. Leisure and car batteries are made for different purposes and until readin the thread had never heard of car batteries being used in leisure vehicles. Look for a battery with a good guarantee from a local supplier for a bit of security.
Some of the cheaper leisure batteries are literally just car batteries with different labels..

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Firstly the price depends on the power of the battery and the more power the more it costs. A test by the CAMH some time back suggested that many sold as leisure batteries were nothing more than car batteries with a different label.
Frankly you will normally get what you pay for and the cheap on line ones are likely to be rubbish. Do buy a sensible priced battery from a reputable source to try and avoid getting stung. As one firm says buy cheap, buy twice.
If you do use the battery only to even out the power supply though and do not have a mover or go off grid the lowest power model will do the job. If you go off grid or use a mover though, you need something better.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
Batteries are funny things,cheapest is not always most economical neither are branded ones,you can get a bad branded one just as you can get a bad cheap one although I think on balance your less likely to get a bad branded one.Try your local motor factor you might get a surprise for a start there's no delivery charge.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
My current battery (which now needs replacing) was a Numax 85ah one bought from Tayna on the internet and delivered to my door ,that was 11+ years ago!!

I am to replace with the same one when I intend to go out in the van again which wont be for the foreseeable unfortunatly.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Looking at the Platinum Odyssey PC1350 where DoD is 650 cycles as per the chart in the post above. Trying to avoid buying anything made in China.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts