What is this?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
It looks like the inside of my bedroom window when I was a kid.
Those old sash windows didn't keep out the cold and frost and we hadn't got central heating,.
No duvets either, we had sheets, blankets and an eiderddown on the bed. 🥶🥶🥶

Reactions: Gagakev and Mel

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I remember it well. And not just when I was a kid. When OH and I had our first house together- no central heating-we used to argue who would get in bed first to warm it up. 😀
Toughened you up though.
mel

Reactions: Gagakev
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
It looks like the inside of my bedroom window when I was a kid.
Those old sash windows didn't keep out the cold and frost and we hadn't got central heating,.
No duvets either, we had sheets, blankets and an eiderddown on the bed. 🥶🥶🥶
Eiderdown ????
Being one of 7 kids we used to fight on the way up the stairs to see who could grab the heaviest coat off the coat pegs at the bottom of the stairs,usually dads donkey jacket!!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
As an aside, I remember late 80's going with two work mates to Hinkleigh Point Power Station in Somerset on a cold frosty winters morning, got to the security gate and asked for our names first one was Jack Frost and the other was Mike Snow, they refused us entry, they were genuine and took us nearly two hours to get in after them doing checks. :LOL:

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Similarly, in the 70‘s 3 of us walked into Ince nuclear power station while under construction. (We avoided security as we knew they would have sent us away). We located our contact and were not able to get work. On the way out we were stopped by security. They would not believe we had walked past them, impossible they said. They wanted to hold us. We said that that was illegal. But what would their bosses say when they found out they had let us past. Embarrassed, they let us past.

A few years later we went to Hinckley B officially to view the construction. Even though it was arranged, we got the 3rd degree.

John

Reactions: Gagakev
Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
No double glazing, steel window frames, no heating, only one of these (3 brothers - 3 beds) 1 hot water bottle! ---- The 'good old days?! This was style of bottle we had.

1611438202382.png

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
No double glazing, steel window frames, no heating, only one of these (3 brothers - 3 beds) 1 hot water bottle! ---- The 'good old days?! This was style of bottle we had.

View attachment 1101

Yes, those were the days. Mum and Dad only had a coal fire in the living room so everywhere else was freezing. Dad used to keep the fire going which had a back boiler to it. The water got so hot the pipes would start knocking and he'd have to run off the steam in the bathroom.

Eventually they got a parafin heater for the hall. Lots of condensation and I remember the van coming around every week so you could go down and fill up your bottle. I think there were two colours Pink and Blue although I've no idea what the difference was.

Then they upgraded to an electric fire, initially one that looked like a small satelite dish but then the luxurious two bar electric fire with flickering coal effect.

It might have been a coincedence but when I moved out they got central heating installed.

Below, Ice on the outside of our windows with the Moon behind.Ice (1 of 1).jpg

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi Jcloughie Which do you like best "Ministry of silly walks" or the "Lumberjack sketch"? both are favourites.

With the direction this topic was taking I was thinking of the Four Yorkshire men sketch.

In fact that extract looks like it’s from their very last ever show at the O2 which I was lucky enough to go to.

Stephen Hawkins was also their having good banter with the Pythons.

John

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I do remember the ice on the inside of windows when I was young. less of a problem for me though, as even in the depths of Winter I slept with the window open, my mother is fond of reminding me of the time she looked in and found snow on the bed and me fast asleep.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Been great chance to take car out and up our sloping road to see how well it’s all seasons worked. Bit of an anti climax as it didn’t even need it’s snow mode setting. More later to fetch takeaway on wife’s birthday treat as delivery drivers not out.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts