What layout/caravan works best for a young family!

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I am about to launch myself into the world of caravanning ..... just wondered what experience people have had with the caravans I am looking at - I have 2 young children (3 and 6), so it really needs to work as much for them as it does for me! Appreciating that, timing wise, I will be looking at the - as yet unlaunched - 2014 models, how have the following worked for anyone in a similar position (ie. young kids) : Adria Altea (Tamar or Severn) or the Eldiss Avante 576 or possibly the Xplore 505 (think I've discounted the Sprite models). Much as I like the Swift/Sterling, think that they are above budget when I factor in everything else I need to buy!
Help and comments much appreciated!

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Our layout which may be out of budget as well but there may be cheaper alternatives, fixed side bunks, own bed ready made up for each of the children, side dinette for meals and playing (especially in the morning) but also with an end washroom giving more room for a child and parent. It works well for the five of us and two dogs, but being a twin axle is a bit weighty.

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Martin, I was starting to think that the end washroom option would be the better bet on space, given that I would need to be In there with them! Does the door being near the fixed bunks disturb them at all? Also, do you get 2 littlies on one side of the side dinette? Finally, not having towed a caravan before (planning to do a course), am a little nervous about towing a twin axle (weight isn't really an issue as I drive a Volvo XC90).
Thanks again for your comments/thoughts

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Never had any problems with the door disturbing them, both sleep with their feet at the door end. Yes you could fit two their age on the same side of the dinette for eating, we're just finding that a problem at 9,12 and 14 but until this year we've sat the three quite comfortably.

As far as towing goes I have found the twin axles to feel more stable and secure and easier to reverse than single axle vans. We do have a motor mover for the drive but that's a space issue more than an ability one. My wife does most of the towing these days and is quite happy with the van. Yes a course would still be a good idea though, Swmbo decided against because she wanted me to teach her but that's a personal thing.

If budget for this sort of van is an issue new then I would say look for a good second hand one. Our last one was the same layout, three years old and like new inside (not all family vans are in a state) for a large twin axle it sold very quickly at the dealers as someone saw the sense of saving 7k over the new price.

As an aside, we have never fancied the fixed double side dinette option for a six berth as we don't necessarily want to go to bed when the children have to but it might work with 2 children instead of three. As I say not for us but may work for you but you would be bunk making every day and night.

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Martin thanks for your help and thoughts! I have found a Coachman dealer much nearer than I thought, so will keep on eye on them for any used ones coming up. Also, trying to psych myself up for a trip to the NEC in October. Thanks again for your comments
smiley-smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts