What next ?

May 2, 2010
Visit site
2 years ago my wife and I bought an old Swift Classic Duette to test the water after 35 years of tents.

Well blow me down we loved it. We sold the Swift 3 months back (for a small profit)and are looking to take this whole year camping/caravan free, searching for the "right" 'van.

We have a budget of £10-13000 and a wish list of :-

1. 2 or 4 berth, fixed double bed

2. tow hitch to rear panel 6.77 metres absolute max

3. air conditioning

4. gas/elec heating

5. gas/elec water

6. big payload (280 kg plus)

I know within our budget we are looking at secondhand.

We tow with Land Rover Defenders, so weight isn't a problem.

We are year round users, UK, France (Alps in winter), Spain (in summer)so good insulation/heating/air-con. is a must.

We tend to use sites with good toilet/shower facilities so those in the 'van don't need to be palatial.

Any ideas anyone ?

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I would pick the manufactures of your choice, send for the brochures, or down load.

Eliminate the caravans out side your length restriction.

And try to find one that meets your 280kg payload!!

Finally having arrived at a short list, repost asking for opinions on a specific caravan.

I also would of thought

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Sorry Adrias may not be ideal as they are often quite long. To get a fixed bed van at that length restriction you will end up with quite a small lounge.

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to all for your input. I have now found secure storage close-by at a reasonable cost, so the length restriction is now not a concern.

I think the retro-fit of air-con is a great idea. We have looked at Swifts but think the 1 electric ring on the hob is a total waste of space for us.

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
If you are looking at year round use, especially in the Alps, the insulation standard on most UK vans is not up to it, from what I saw in the repair shop of caravans opened up to fix damp and the two Lunars we have had, the only insulation is 20mm of expanded polystyrene(EPS) , look for any manufacturers that use polyurethane or extruded polysyrene foam which is nearly twice as effective as EPS and a lot stronger

TRENDING THREADS