What setting should my Nissan X trail be in for towing

Jun 26, 2008
Visit site
Another newbie question! We have a nissan x trail and wondered what it should be set at for towing our caravan:

EG: 4 wheel drive, 2 wheel drive or Auto

advice greatly appreciated, thankyou

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
On tarmac, 2-wheel drive - on grass or mud 4-wheel drive.

Depending on the design parameters for Auto, that may do exactly the right thing.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have had 3 XTs and am now on the latest model and I always have it in auto solo or towing

It runs in front wheel drive anyway until it detects any wheel slip when without you feeling anything it goes on to 4 WD

NEVER use permanent 4WD except on sand/snow and never on Tarmac as it could damage the transmission

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I have the Mk 2 and now run in auto all the time. Initially I tried to spot MPG differences between 2wd and auto but didn't find any.

I think** the drive is proportioned front/back in normal driving and so probably tyre wear is evened up to some extent, esp when towing.

** When pulling away (normally, not fast) from a driveway that's loose-surfaced with front tyres on tarmac and rear tyres on the loose stuff the rears seem to scrabble slightly, so it doesn't seem necessary for the front tyres to slip for some drive to go to the rears.

Bry

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts