What size solar panel for a camper?

BML

Dec 30, 2004
Visit site
I only intend to use a solar panel system for charging phones and a laptop plus reading in the evening as we don't use a TV. An installer has suggested a 175watt. Is that sufficient?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I only intend to use a solar panel system for charging phones and a laptop plus reading in the evening as we don't use a TV. An installer has suggested a 175watt. Is that sufficient?
I would think that a 100w would be more than sufficient. A 175w is good but IMHO way over the top for your requirements. We had a TV in addition to the laptop etc and we never had any issues as long as you are sensible about it. You do not have a TV so I don't think there would really be issue with 100w.

Reactions: ProfJohnL

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
I agree with the above post, and would add that there is no point in adding an unnecessarily large, heavy and expensive panel. You will actually be using the solar panel to keep your leisure battery topped up, and it is that leisure battery which will actually supply your lights etc. Your leisure battery is therefore going to be equally important as the solar panel. I assume your lights are LED and not the power hungry halogen type, which use about 8 times more.

BML

Dec 30, 2004
Visit site
I agree with the above post, and would add that there is no point in adding an unnecessarily large, heavy and expensive panel. You will actually be using the solar panel to keep your leisure battery topped up, and it is that leisure battery which will actually supply your lights etc. Your leisure battery is therefore going to be equally important as the solar panel. I assume your lights are LED and not the power hungry halogen type, which use about 8 times more.
I had one LED main light fitted when the solar system was installed which is superb and I have an LED reading light that fits directly above my reading seat.

Reactions: ProfJohnL

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts