What sort of country do we live in ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Living near Glastonbury you will understand we are very disturbed by the mindless vandalism of the thorn tree. We have no particular beliefs but feel that without a sense of tradition we are all the poorer.
I'm sure many of you will have vistied the area, gone to the festival, climbed the Tor, walked the streets, and although you may or may not have thought it meaningful, at least it was tranquil and a change from the tumult of city life.

It may well be this was fuellled by nothing more sinisiter than the strength of the local cider, but I doubt it. There is a developing nasty streak of which I for one wish to have not part.

As a local I am biased. How do the rest of you feel ?

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
We also live near Glastonbury (hello neighbour!!) and I was just gobsmacked by the vandalism - why??

I also have no particular religious beliefs (and I do think Glastonbury's a bit of a weird place, but that's just my opinion! lol), but the wanton destruction, for presumably no good reason other than pure mischief, is truly unbelievable. It's on a par with peeing on war memorials, or that idiot swinging off the flag on the Cenotaph. There's a very disturbing lack of respect nowadays.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is a sad state of affairs but I think it's simply vandalism. Not something a decent person would do, but there you go.

If the tree was of such importance, I wonder why it wasn't protected or something. I'm sure it'll grow back if its roots are intact and it hasn't been poisoned.

Lisa

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
As I've posted before, this is broken Britain and there is nobody capable of fixing it or anyone waiting in the wings. I just feel sorry for the decent youngsters of today but what a legacy we are leaving them
smiley-yell.gif

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
go onto the Daily Express website to read todays paper , and read Leo Mckinstry column , i think you will find he describes in a nutshell

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I have never been to Glastonbury and only have a vague idea fo where it is. Can someone explain to me what is so special about a thorn tree as we used to cut them down all the time as they were a right pain in the butt?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Glastonbury is a town in Somerset and a place of English myth and legend. Pagan worship is said to have taken place there and legend has it that Joseph of Arimithea visited it with his young nephew Jesus of Nazareth.
After the cruxfiction of Christ, Joseph of Arimathea is said to have re visited the place carrying the Holy Grail, the vessel used by Christ at the Last Supper. The Holy Grail is said to have been buried near to the foot of Glastonbury Tor, which rises 500 feet from the surrounding countryside. When Joseph set his staff down at a spot on Wearyall Hill not far from the Tor a thorn bush is said to have sprouted and this bush became a place of pilgrimage.
Glastonbury Abbey was founded by Joseph of Arimathea, St Patrick also stayed in the area which is of special significance to Christians who visit to this day.
The thorn bush recently vandalised is supposed to be a direct descendant of the original thorn bush which is why Christian groups are outraged at what has happened.
This part of Somerset is well worth a visit, the entire area is steeped in myth and legend and the surrounding countryside is beautiful with many places of interest such as Cheddar, Wells and of course Glastonbury.
More about the legends of Glastonbury can be seen Here

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
it is also the only place we have been that has a carpark with a covered section especialy for cars with dogs.
it is a pity though that the locals with convertables park in it to keep the seats cool.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have not seen the story or heard about it until now.
Regardless of whether the tree had any religious or historical significance or not, what gives anyone the right to commit wanton mindless vandalism to any property or belongings.
We are far to lenient on those who are guilty of such crimes.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Whether a Christian or not it doesn't matter. The tree is part of our culture as is Stonehenge, the Uffington white horse and the long man of Wilmington for example. Sadly some people aren't happy in life unless they are destroying something. A good example are public parks where moronic drunks think it's hilarious to flatten or rip up bedding plants despite the money coming from council taxes.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
forest gump said:
LB dont you think the look of empty cider bottles are lovely not even the white lightning blue bottles,the winter sun sets them off .

With the sun low in the sky this time of year the sun does sparkle and glisten on the empty bottles but think how much more they would glisten from the movement of the people who had thrown them down after I'd rammed them up their anal orifice
smiley-laughing.gif

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Happy to hold them down whilst you do the ramming your Lordship.
Does your title carry protection from prosecution by any chance
smiley-smile.gif
Lord of the manor, judge, jury and executioner kind of deal
smiley-wink.gif

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
With the high cost of electric maybe they needed the wood to build a fire to keep warm? Although I like to think I am a Christian I have no interest in objects regarded as symbolic because if I did I might as well go out and worship an idol! However do not agree with wanton vandalism.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts