What stuff do we need?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, myself and family are new to caravanning, we have just bought an abbey lancater 2000. We are going to the show in February so I thought I would look out for some bargains. Can we get some advice on the sort of stuff that we will need to keep in the van. How many water containers should we buy? What sort of leisure battery is best, we will have use of the normal heater, shower, toilet but also plan to use a low wattage electric kettle and a portable TV. Is it necessary to buy a special one or will any normal portable do? What sort of fire equiptment do we need? Any useful tips would be appreciated.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tina & welcome to the best hobby there is! Your best bet for water carriers etc, is to look in the classified of PC & others, as there are often accessories being sold by people who are giving up vanning. You should only need one fresh water container - Aquarolls are the easiest to use as water is very heavy. Depending on the waste outlets on your van, you may need 1 or 2 waste water containers & possibly some flexible hose or a funnel to direct the water in. Get the biggest battery (amperage wise) you can fit in the van, they're not that much more costly and will last longer, especially if you intend to run a telly which do have a high current consumption - any portable will do, the latest LCD flat screens are much lighter but far more expensive. Equip your van with a set of crockery (unbreakable type), cutlery, pots & pans, & bedding. Then all you have to do is put some food in the fridge, ensure you've got a corkscrew & drive off for a carefree weekend! Ensure you get a hitchlock & wheelclamp - you don't want to find your van gone when you're out! Enjoy.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Certainly buy the 40 litre Aquaroll. It can be used in the ordinary way or you can buy the fitment which allows you to hook up to mains water. It works much the same way as a toilet cistern. With this you never run out of fresh water at a crucial moment. Also get the Aquaroll Wastemaster. Huge capacity but is also designed to double as a trolley to enable you to transport the full holding tank of your chemical loo. This is VERY heavy when full. I know that this little lot will set you back the thick end of

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tina,

Welcome to caravaning,Water is easier to roll than carry, waste can allso have wheels,look under the van where the kitchen is you will find the waste outlets 2or3 but only one containr is needed buy one peice of waste pipe and "Y" peice to conect both together, When it comes to TV this very diferent, if you are on sites with mains hookup then any portable will be ok. but if you are not then TV must be 12volt supply or dual voltage, If you intend to rely on battery power only then I would recomend that a 110amp which is the lagest recomended ,It must be a leisure battery, DO not fit a car battery as this is not compatable with van electrics. Happy camping.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi tina,for water you can start with 2 plastic buckets 75 P each,but i would recomend an aquaroll and a waste master both about40 pounds with these it is easy and the kids can get the water.As for a battery you need a leisure battery about 35pounds 85amps.Tv most sites and even CLs have electric hook ups so if you hae a 14 inch tv that is fine or you can buy one at a supemarket for about 55 pounds,keep the box it comes in for transporting when touring Most site hook ups have a 10 watt supply [1amp=230 watts so a 10 amp hook gives 2300 amps] which is adequate for most appliances,just check the wattage of you tv kettle etc and dont have them all on at once.We have been caravanning for 20 years and the best tip i know is put a duvet on your mattress and one over you it is warm and comfortable.Iwould join one of the clubs in my case the caravan club also read this forum it is a fountain of knowledge.I hope you enjoy your new hobby try to pick a dry weekend for your first trip,and good luck.

Apr 22, 2004
Visit site
I would recomend that you do not use an electric kettle as they use a large amount of power. Some sites have very low power (5A) we have always used a Gas kettle with a whistle.

TRENDING THREADS