What to chose ?

Sep 22, 2018
Visit site
Seeking advice on what caravan to purchase ? Leaving my motorhome and looking for first caravan. Can’t decide on Bailey Phoenix , adria altea or sprite major 6 ?
5/6 berth models and not longer than 7.45 m.
Anyone got preference for one of the above and why ?
Thanks I’m advance
Steve

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The truth Steve is there nothing much between any of them.
Be very clear on the layout that best suits your requirements.
Choose a nearby reliable reputable dealer unless you are buying privately.
Have an independent dampness and full survey of your proposed purchase.
Enjoy.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Look at weights and payload which may be important especially if you use all the berths. Adria can be heavier than the other two but do have a good reputation for build quality. Need also to consider the tow car weight and towing capability. But beware that the car makers max towing weight relates to the cars ability to restart a number of times on a defined incline. It often doesn’t relate to the real world performance when towing a large lightweight aluminium box susceptible to bumps, sidewinds and HGVs. It’s a general guide that for inexperienced towers the caravan max weight or MTPLM should be around 85% of the car kerbweight.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
If you do decide to go for the Sprite Major Steve, may I offer a little advice based on my own experience ...

Most of the major Swift caravan dealers sell “special editions” based on each of the Sprite models. These are produced in production run batches, and are given different names, unique to each dealer. They are essentially the same van as the Sprite, but with quite an extensive list of extras, which usually includes Swift branding rather than sprite, more upmarket upholstery, different external graphics and things such as an external BBQ point, an additional external locker, factory-fit solar panel, external 240V socket etc.

If you take your very best discounted offer for a new sprite to a dealer who offers a special edition, explaining that you are about to place an order for a Sprite elsewhere, they will either offer you the special edition for exactly the same price, or a price so close, it would be crazy not to go for it, as the special editions look and feel much more like a mid-range van than an entry-level, for the same price.

We went for a dealer special based on the Major 6 TD. Just let me know if you’d like any more info, or if you’d like a few pointers regarding the various dealers and the respective names of their “Dealer Specials”.

Hope this helps, Ic.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I agree with Lc , we both have the same van ( 2o17 sprite major 6Td ) his may be slightly different in upholstery and extras but tows brilliant on the back of my car and it's just under 8 metres with the bikes on the back with the rack , if you like to take your bikes with you haggle for a bike rack on the back of like what we did . The rear dinete is great for the kids own space when we're at the front . There's 4 off us and still loads of space .

Good luck and happy hunting
Regards
Craig .

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Stevemumbles said:
Thinking of getting a 2 l Citroen space tourer.

Nice , wouldn't worry too much about caravan weights then as i see that can pull 2,3oo kg - as long as you a have pre 97 licence which allows you tow over 3,5oo kg or an after 97 B + E entitlement licence .

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Stevemumbles said:
Loving the help. Would it be best to buy second hand instead of new then ?

Only you can really decide that Steve, considering factors such as budget, usage, other priorities, your expectations, and of course what you want from the van.

Although most of the layout options have remained similar over the years, obviously newer vans do have a much more modern feel than older ones, especially in terms of fabrics, appliances, gadgets and overall aesthetics. However, if you did have a budget in mind for an older van, I would keep that in mind when browsing, and stick to it, rather than be tempted to borrow money to fund the purchase of a new one which is not something I would recommend. After all, a caravan is a luxury item, and certainly not worth getting into debt for. Again, if you do have the budget for a new one and are happy to spend that money, bearing in mind the depreciation, then great. Otherwise, there is of course a huge second hand market to suit all budgets, and if you decided to go down that route, you will find plenty of helpful buying advice on this forum.

Ic.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Nicely put Lc , i think you'll get a good return for your motorhome so enjoy all the decision making that your about to start doing but don't rush into things .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Setting up a caravan and all of its gear is an expensive process and if you decide it’s not for you then depreciation on everything is high. One option that a forum member followed was to look at the CMHC members ads. He bought van and everything from a couple who were giving up through I’ll health. He did his homework on what to look for and the sellers patiently demonstrated all the systems. The van had been theirs from new and regularly serviced. It also had a very recent damp check (vital wherever you buy pre owned from). On his departure they even gave him a new Alko lock too. Of course you don’t get the benefit of the consumer protection legislation but you can get started at a far lower cost in either very new vans or older ones.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts