What to do in Cheshire?

Mar 9, 2007
Visit site
Hi folks. We're heading to Winsford, Cheshire for a week in July. We have a lively two year-old boy and are looking for ideas on how to keep us occupied for the week. We've never been to this part of the country so would appreciate any suggestions of where to go, and where to avoid! Thanks, Emmy.

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Hiya

We went for a weekend here and TBH there was not a lot to do.

We did find a lovely pub that had an old fashioned bowing alley that kept our boys happy for ages - its free and they do nice lunches there but can't for the life of me remember the name so not a huge help I'm afraid!

We went to a park in Winsford that was awful - full of broken beer and spirit bottles and dirty and just awful so I would avoid Winsford if I were you.

Beeston castle was nice and quite impressive - well worth a visit.

Depends how much you want to drive - Arley Hall is about 10 miles away and there is a nice farm and play area next to it open at weekends and Wednesdays I think. The you have Tatton Park, Dunham Park, Chester Zoo, Stapeley Water Gardens, The Blue Planet Acquarium...

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Emmy,

if you want to visit Chester.....DON'T take your car as parking is difficult.However,they have a very good park & ride system which takes you right into the centre of the town.

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Emmy,

It's a shame that Kathryn didn't enjoy her weekend as there is so much to do.I've trawled the web for you so try the following:-

www.cheshiredaysout.co.uk

www.kidsguide.co.uk

www.boatmuseum.org.uk

www.merseyferries.co.uk

www.dayoutwiththekids.co.uk/search.php?county=Cheshire

www.visitchester.com

Ellesmere Port has a Cheshire Oaks factory outlet village which is worth a visit (during the week is better as w'ends are exceptionally busy )Free car parking and Sainsbury's is next door if you need to load up with food and petrol )

Joe Crows Play Stacks indoor play centre

Chester Road

Sandiway

Tel.no.01606 301321

So,have a look at all of that and I hope it is helpful to you.

Tarporley is a nice place to look round.They have an old fashioned sweet shop there....I think it is called the old fire station.

Our son lives in Northwich,so we are down there on a regular basis.

Maureen

Nov 7, 2006
Visit site
If your staying at Winsford could it be the ACorns caravan park, Elm cottage or The Hollies. If so then go for a long walk down Whitegate way, its part of the Delemere Forest trail, you can park your car easily and there are toilets if needed go one way and walk through the middle of the forest rail, right past the Acorns park.Next day turn the other way and walk the trail that way. The kids will love the freedom to roam about and run some steam off. Then Chester and the Zoo and the wales coast is an hour away. try Rhyl or llandudno for the seaside.

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Maureen

I didn't actually say we didn't enjoy our weekend - just that there is not a lot to do locally so it might involve a bit of a drive.

We stayed in Tarporley and it was lovely countryside but nothing really accessible. Just lots of farmers fields that you can't go in.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts