What to do with a full french propane bottle?

Jan 23, 2019
Visit site
Hi there,

I have a full 9kg bottle of propane in my garage that I want to get rid of. It's a French bottle and I think the regulator is faulty (it's hissing). I could possibly get a new regular from Amazon in France, but to be honest the bottle is a bit big and I'd sooner just get rid of it. I've tried my local recycling centre and they wo nt take it, it's obviously a French brand so I doubt I can drop if off at my local propane bottle calor gas suppliers (Morrisons). Anyone got any other ideas of how to dispose?
Or anyone want it? ( Nottingham)

Cheers
Shipjack

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Your local refuse facility site will usually take cylinders but may make a charge. Mind you Nottingham are known for their silly ways......

Alternatively try shopping around - I doubt there is anything too special about a French cylinder that you won't be able to find a regulator that will fit it in the UK. Why not post a picture of the regulator in situ and of the fitting of both the regulator and the cylinder?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hissing is bad.... Can you not remove the regulator, that may fix the problem. But at least take the bottle outside into clear air.

John

Jan 23, 2019
Visit site
Thanks all,

Recycling centre wo nt take it. Like I say, I can get a new regulator on Amazon, but I do nt want to lug this oversized bottle around. Hissing is bad, it is just the regulator though, bottle itself sound.
Here's a pic

Attachments

• 1617647918220..jpg
    1617647918220..jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I had a problem dispossing of some Rescue flares, for boats, the local Fire service told me to take them to the CoastGuard, 80 miles away. Local police officer told me in the pub, put it in a layby and phone 999 and report it as suspisious. They were collected within 30 minutes.

I would remove the regulator and leave it to dissapate to atmosphere, then take to the tip.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If it it hissing I would ring the fire brigade who should attend if they deem it a fire risk. If not I would get it into the open air, away from any buildings and let the rest of the gas out.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
If it it hissing I would ring the fire brigade who should attend if they deem it a fire risk. If not I would get it into the open air, away from any buildings and let the rest of the gas out.

Just have to hope the Fire Brigade don't have more pressing concerns I guess!

Jan 23, 2019
Visit site
I wo nt be phoning the fire brigade. It's fine if I keep it turned off at the bottle..it's only the regulator that's faulty. I've had the thing in the garage for about five years, came with an old motorhome I no longer own.
I think this bottle of gas and I are destined to live out our lives together..or probably the best solution is to source a new regulator and put up with the fact it's a bit hefty..it does still fit in my locker.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I wo nt be phoning the fire brigade. It's fine if I keep it turned off at the bottle..it's only the regulator that's faulty. I've had the thing in the garage for about five years, came with an old motorhome I no longer own.
I think this bottle of gas and I are destined to live out our lives together..or probably the best solution is to source a new regulator and put up with the fact it's a bit hefty..it does still fit in my locker.

Buy a gas BBQ to use it up at home perhaps. Or, get the new regulator to make it safe, and sell the whole thing locally, you would get your money back with a small profit for your trouble, and someone else could use it for a BBQ or patio hater.

Just suggestions, 😛

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not recommended to keep gas bottles in a garage. Mine are kept in the garden each under a plastic rubble sack.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts