What to look out for when viewing an older caravan.

Sep 8, 2006
Visit site
Hi all. I may be going to view a 92 ABI Award Daystar tomorrow(sunday). Having never dealt with an older van what are the obvious things to look out for? Am I right in understanding damp could be the most common problem?

As the caravan won't be cris reg'd is there any other documentation which should come with it other than any service history?

Thanks, Dan.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
damp is your biggest worry with any older 'van. fortunately the awards of that era were pretty solid.

the main areas to check are the four corners, but particularly the rear corners as this seems to be where these 'vans fail.

check the rear floor as well as they can rot at the corners, sometimes the corner steadies will give this away if its bad enough.

if its a boat roof type, which i think it is, check carefully along the middle for signs of leakage, although this isnt normally a problem with the award.

other than that make sure everything works, make sure the hot water tank doesnt leak, its an expensive fix and you dont want to be home when you find out.

quickly check the electrics including the road lights. you wouldnt be the first to buy a 'van and then spend days trying to get all the lights to work.

check the inner sidewalls of the tyres, theyre usually forgotten during cleaning and tarting up and you'll know right away if they're healthy. and if an owner doesnt use good tyres what else dont they do?

and lastly, trust your 1st instinct. if you're not happy dont commit.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
forgot to mention.

check the front panel for damp if its a fixed front window. the seals on these round these were notorious for letting in.

Sep 8, 2006
Visit site
Thanks mcghee for the advice. However, having viewed this morning I certainly won't be buying. The following points put me off:-

Internal.

1) The toilet area had been wallpapered and was peeling off as well as some black area's beneath the paper.

2) The toilet casette was faulty.

3) Cooker hob had baked on cooking residue and was starting to rust.

External

1) Door holding catch snapped off.

2) Front locker had a broken lock.

3) No leisure battery.

4) Small hole in side through alloy with polystyrene showing.

5) Lighting cable had at some point been trapped under the jockey wheel.

Apart from those points the tyres were due for replacement and there was no paperwork present. I should have known by the price.

Thanks again, Dan.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
D&P

Sorry to hear about your wasted journey.

However we are pretty sure that our new swift challenger in 1992

was Cris registered.

One of the cheap shops were doing a damp meter last thursday, may be some left?

Jul 31, 2008
Visit site
Yes check Awards at rear end, spoiler on roof let water in after some time, but no front fixed window on that year, that was 83/4/5/6/7 years. Due to high demand good used will be hard to find, my advice is do keep looking - you will be glad you did in the end. Cris wasnt introduced till 92 if I remember and it was Compass who began the ball rolling. good luck with your seach

Andrew

Sep 8, 2006
Visit site
I should have known with the price really. I was actually interested in it for my parents as the price seemed very tempting however, I don't know much abut older models as mine is a 2007. Not to worry they're still quite happy with the folding camper.

Thanks again to all, Dan.

Jul 27, 2005
Visit site
Yes check Awards at rear end, spoiler on roof let water in after some time, but no front fixed window on that year, that was 83/4/5/6/7 years. Due to high demand good used will be hard to find, my advice is do keep looking - you will be glad you did in the end. Cris wasnt introduced till 92 if I remember and it was Compass who began the ball rolling. good luck with your seach

Andrew
We had an award - the first van we bought- and didnt spot the damp. once we looked closely the whole of the back corner and door frame was totally rotted - you could poke a finger into the wall in the corner.

Got a quote for repairs but sold it to a man who said he didnt mind a bit of damp......

claire:-}

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts