Feb 23, 2024
Visit site
Ok before anyone says yes it is true I don't like spending money unless I get great value that's not to say I'm a tight wad. This year we joined the Caravan and Motorhome Club instead of joining The Camping and Caravanning Club - not sure why to be honest anymore.

One thing I have noticed is the prices of pitches at CAMHC sites are quite expensive plus they charge extra for 2 people when you check their website. For instance, a Friday or Saturday in June for one person at Meathop Fell Club Campsite would be £25.40 per night which I think is fair enough if it was for two people, but if you add your partner then the price jumps to £37.30 per night. A total for two of £74.60. Plus your fuel plus and your food obviously.

If you then look at a decent B&B in the area you can get 2 people on the same days with breakfast and less fuel because you aren't dragging the van for £125 - only £49.40 more. In many ways when you factor in a bunch of stuff in the B&B is cheaper.

Yes I know you get a greater sense of freedom in a caravan and it's your own environment but that almost isn't the point if you simply want a breakaway on a budget.

I'd be interested to know what anyone else thinks about the cost of pitches lately. Also is there a place/website I can look at that gives decent site facilities at much more competitive rates? Then I can at least save on joining any of the clubs next year.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
My view is the pricing structure is wrong. Quite simply the pitch is the main cost to the operator and should cover the fixed costs of the rent or ownership, staff, heating and lighting of common parts, waste disposal and a few other things. The extra cost of more people is nominal, a bit more water, electricity, waste and that is nowhere near the £12 you quote.
The extra person charge even varies from site to site ,which is impossible to justify in my mind. This structure is consistent across the industry though and simply penalises larger families.
The total for two on the site is probably near enough in line with the area which is expensive though.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Prices of everything have gone up and you either accept that or move on.

I'm as conscious as most people about how far my money doesn't go but as far as caravaning goes I don't really question the cost if it's somewhere we want to visit with the caravan.

If you just take the financial aspects of owning a caravan and worse still a motorhome you need to factor in the costs of buying these and keeping them on the road. That's an awful lot of AirBnB rentals you could do.

I have hobbies that have become more and more expensive to do over the years but it's what I chose to do. Same as caravanning.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
My view is that CC club site prices have been poor value for decades, compared to CLs and commercial sites.

I don't get the point of view that "you know what you're going to get at a CC club site" as if that justifies the higher prices - I know what I'm going to get at Premier Inns but that's at a budget price.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
While I understand why those with limited mobility go for organised sites, and have a preference for serviced pitches, be them CMHC, Camping and Caravanning or commercial.

When we did the most of our caravanning we by far preferred CL’s. We took some chances and found some really poor CL’s, but still enjoyed the experience even then. CL’s gradually got much better and our enjoyment improved even more. Part of the pleasure was not knowing what we might get.

We occasionally used CMHC sites. But did not enjoy them. Yes the facilities were always good and reliable, but we never used them. Our problem was with the feeling of regimentation and being ruled. It detracted from the freedom we expected.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My view is that CC club site prices have been poor value for decades, compared to CLs and commercial sites.

I don't get the point of view that "you know what you're going to get at a CC club site" as if that justifies the higher prices - I know what I'm going to get at Premier Inns but that's at a budget price.
Not any longer even Premier Inn prices have rocketed since I was using them weekly in 2018-19 to visit my father in the Midlands.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Not any longer even Premier Inn prices have rocketed since I was using them weekly in 2018-19 to visit my father in the Midlands.
There is a massive variation with location. I just got one in Ashford for the tunnel for £49 for two plus breakfast and evening meals brings it to £113. Very pleased with that.

John

Reactions: Buckman
Feb 23, 2024
Visit site
Thanks for all the input, from what I read it seems that a website listing and properly reviewing CL's is a good bet as the prices of CL's seem to fairer and the quality seems to be good. Just need to find a good website as the CAMHC site is terrible in my opinion

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for all the input, from what I read it seems that a website listing and properly reviewing CL's is a good bet as the prices of CL's seem to fairer and the quality seems to be good. Just need to find a good website as the CAMHC site is terrible in my opinion
We mainly used them for the CL network and ferry discounts.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There is a massive variation with location. I just got one in Ashford for the tunnel for £49 for two plus breakfast and evening meals brings it to £113. Very pleased with that.

John
Agreed location and day do affect them. But I was basing my comments and PIs in Leicester between Thursday and Sunday. It’s hardly the Center of U.K.s tourist hot spots.
ukcampsites and Pitchup worth a look.

Reactions: Deejuk

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
Most CAMH club sites have very little appeal to anyone other than couples and retirees.

Yes some have a small play area for kids but beyond that very little.

For families with kids there is very little value to be had over a decent commercial site with much more to offer. We no longer bother using them if we have the granddaughter with us.

In fact we rarely use one at all, much prefering CL's

Reactions: Buckman
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It's in the hands of the customer, If you don't like the cost of something don't buy it. If you see a product , service or site that you think offers better value use it, and tell the sites you reject why your not using them.

Just being a member of a club does not necessarily mean the sites will be better quality or value.

Perhaps if all the club members were to exercise their membership rites to complain, the clubs owners might review the offers they make.

Reactions: Deejuk and Hutch
Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
In NZ campgrounds with powered sites are $40-60 are nite for couple, with $50-60 typical. Showers are a mixed bag of free or paid. NB exchange is $2 = £1.

At the cheaper end of things is NZ motorhome and caravan Association sites. These vary from basically a paddock to sites with toilets, meeting room, dumpstation, water and paid washing machines. Price is $5 per person there aren't any powered sites. For basic sites you will need to drive to nearest dump station. To be member your RV need to be self contained ie plumbed toilet.

In between is national parks (department of conservation DOC) and regional parks ( councils) these are $10-15 per person. Being nature parks are in best locations, unpowered with toilets and running water. Water maybe untreated at some sites so best bring your own. Tenting is allowed. NZMCA members get 25% discount at DOC sites.

There are odd freedom camping sites for self contained vehicles typically coucil provided carpark.

Park overs are also becoming popular where you can park on private property eg driveway or paddock for $10-20 a nite.. Need to be self contained.

Grey nomads and others on road for extended periods will be NZMCA member. Worth it just for discounted interisland ferry fares. Most grey nomads are using big aussie caravans towed by ute eg ranger, hilux or motorhomes.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Perhaps if all the club members were to exercise their membership rites to complain, the clubs owners might review the offers they make.
People have been complaining for a long time, but it is no longer a club and members no longer have any say. We no longer use CAMC sites preferring commercial or CLs for better value. The CAMC is still in the dark ages when it comes to sites even though they may have modernised some.

Reactions: Challenger
Feb 23, 2024
Visit site
In defence of the CAMC site we stayed at last month it was 100% spot in everything was ultra clean and everything worked really well. We've taken the grandchldren to Parkdean and pitched up and it was less than acceptable no where near as good quality as the CAMC site.

It looks as I suspected the CL sites are the way forward for us from now on and ditch any membership fees to clubs. Thank you for all the feedback though really useful.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We extensively used CMHC and CCC sites when our kids and granddad kids were with us. we steered clear of sites with bars and restaurants, pools etc as we did not need the facilities. I recall some private sites were not as good in their facilities and upkeep. Often the showers were so small that you cold not swing a cat inside. Before the Woke community accuse me of potential animal cruelty I refer to cat which was legal to swing, but now no longer (unfortunately) . :eek:

But our stays changed when we went to Troutbeck which had under gone refurbishment and it just stuck us as a load of gravel pitches with minimal grass between. I can understand why it was done in order to give more all weather occupancy. But frankly it looked more like an HGV parking area. After that we used CL/CS Clubs and commercial sites. Location being the key parameter for us.

But one observation I would make is that over the past few years commercial sites have become more competitive in price and the quality has improved markedly.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
In defence of the CAMC site we stayed at last month it was 100% spot in everything was ultra clean and everything worked really well. We've taken the grandchldren to Parkdean and pitched up and it was less than acceptable no where near as good quality as the CAMC site.

It looks as I suspected the CL sites are the way forward for us from now on and ditch any membership fees to clubs. Thank you for all the feedback though really useful.
Unfortunately you need the club memberships to use Cl/Cs sites. There are lots of very good ones around.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

You do need to be a member of the CC/CAMC to use CLs, or CCC to use CSs.

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
We extensively used CMHC and CCC sites when our kids and granddad kids were with us. we steered clear of sites with bars and restaurants, pools etc as we did not need the facilities. I recall some private sites were not as good in their facilities and upkeep. Often the showers were so small that you cold not swing a cat inside. Before the Woke community accuse me of potential animal cruelty I refer to cat which was legal to swing, but now no longer (unfortunately) . :eek:

But our stays changed when we went to Troutbeck which had under gone refurbishment and it just stuck us as a load of gravel pitches with minimal grass between. I can understand why it was done in order to give more all weather occupancy. But frankly it looked more like an HGV parking area. After that we used CL/CS Clubs and commercial sites. Location being the key parameter for us.

But one observation I would make is that over the past few years commercial sites have become more competitive in price and the quality has improved markedly.
That appears to be what Motorhomers want / demand now.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

When we did use CC sites many years ago and had no choice except to use hard standing, we found the hard standing extremely compact. So much so that good quality rock pegs were getting bent, never mind the pain in the wrists. I eventually resorted to using a drill with a masonery bit to make the holes before we stopped using CAMC sites.

Feb 23, 2024
Visit site
To be totally honest I would love some decent quality grass pitches off-grid with some peace and quiet. A decent shower block would be nice but for a few days away £20 or less a night per van in a field would be perfect.

Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts