What was your first caravan & what did you tow it with?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It was a Piper 1200CT bought new in September 1976 from Crabtree Caravans in Delamere. At the time we took delivery Crabtree Caravans had been taken over by Gailey Caravans who subsequently went bust! Part exchanged the 'van 7 years latter for more than its original cost.

Our towcar at the time was an orange Renault 12TS which was great to drive solo but with the 'van on the back needed plenty of gear changes to maintain reasonable progress. The car was soon swapped for a Renault 16TL which was a great towcar but the bodywork rotted away.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We bought our first van in 1986 - a new Perle Olympus 5 berth, towed by an '86 Cavalier 1.8 SRi. I built cots in the back for our 3 kids then aged 6 months, 18 months, & 36 months. Foot pumped cold water only, Porta-Potti in the "bathroom", 2 ring gas hob & grill, no oven, & only 2 internal lights. We had a battery charger and mains electric added. No equipment = very light, with an all up weight of less than a ton when loaded. Now on our fourth van - only 2 berth as kids all now grown up - a 2004 Caravelair Eden 470/2 which we tow easily with my BMW 525d Touring.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Good God!

It was the summer of 1982,we had just been turned down for emigration to Oz and we decided on a lifestyle change.

The car was a Peugeot 305SR with a 1400cc engine and the caravan was a Monza 1200S 5 berth(all 12'6" of it.)

I dont recall the car struggling and we had some cracking holidays.

Having said that, I dont think there was a MIRO or even worse a MTPLM in sight!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Our first caravan a new Elddis Odyssey 2001, the original.Looked great, but rubbish. Fell apart in 18 months,very over weight (well in excess of what the plate stated)Very dissappointing. Towed with a Pug 406 estate, petrol.Still have the car, suffers from asthma now !!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
First caravan holiday in 1969 was a Sprite towed by a 1964 Vauxhall Victor 1.6 Estate - went up to North Wales - my wife and self and baby under 12 months old, a dog and the parent's in laws. Rained for all of the time and was glad to get back home. No indoor toilet, hot water, awning, electric hook up or any other modern day accessory. How the hell did we cope .

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
My first 'van was a 1984 Chateau touring elite. 14ft, 4 berth, with all the gadgets of the day; double glazing, on board charger, electric water pump, and galvanized chassis. I paid 300 quid for it and towed it all over Britain with a Saab 900. I sold it on for 200 quid to local gypsies.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
An Abbey Warwick of 70's vintage towed with a Cortina 2L estate. The Warwick was rear kitchen 4 berth with a door on both sides. It was rear heavy, the noseweight ex factory was zero or there abouts as I could easily lift it with one hand.It required very careful loading, in fact I had to carry the spare wheel and awning etc at the front otherwise there was every chance of the rear end of the car being lifted by the pitching effect.

Dec 19, 2006
Visit site
Our fist caravan, it was in 2000 that we bought a CI Esprit Caprice, a 1988 model and towed it with a Vauxhall Zafira 1.6.

The kerb weight of the car was 1300kg and the Caravan's gross weight was also 1300kg, a 100% match. In those early caravanning days I had not heard of things like tow car limits etc.

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
Our first van was a Sprite Alpine,no electrics,gas mantles and we towed with a Mark 3 Cortina.Had 2 children and we went everywhere with this outfit..ah..memories

regards john.b.
Hi John, had Alpine like you had, around 1960s, pulled it with mk1 blue cortina 1500cc. Lands End John Agroats ,never had problems pulling, never knew about the 85% rule, with two young children if there was space it went in.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts