What windspeeds are safe for towing and comfortable when pitched?

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi

After dithering about when and where to go to get a break a recent VERY DIFFICULT time we had finally decided to try for the Keswick CCC site next week. However, the weather has just, typically, taken a turn for the worse.

Although having plenty of towing experience that has mainly been as a summer 'vanner. I was wondering what sort of windspeeds people thought would be dodgy for towing and what would be uncomfortable when pitched up.

I am talking here of towing up the M6 and A66 from St Helens, Merseyside to Keswick and then being pitched on the Keswick CCC site which is rather open as it is at the northern end of Derwentwater.

Our outfit is a Bailey Senator Arizona towed by a Kia Sorento Titan. I'd be grateful for any advice as we REALLY NEED this break away.

Tim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Tim,
This is a tricky one, as each driver will a differnt opinion, and some outfits may be more tollerant than others to wind speeds and certainly direction.
I think it would be foolhardy to tow and ignore any official warnings for high sided vehicles. but apart from that it is down to individual experience.
If you are caught out as wind speeds start to rise, the slow down. and if it gets to the point where you are begining to fell unhappy then pull off and stop.
As for being on an exposed site, think about how many times you have seen or heard of caravans actually blowing away in the UK. In reality not many if any, so provided the steadys are firmly down, the vast majority of caravans survive the UK's gales. as a yongster I have been in a caravan at St Davids, in Wales and feeling it being buffeted - quite disturbing and I have never forgotten it , but even though a number of tents got blown about , none of the caravans actually moved.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Of utmost importance is the correct loading of the outfit. As Prof says take note of any BBC/Met Office warnings for wind conditions. If the outfit feels twitchy then slow down and sit in Lane 1. Watch out as you pass by bridges or come out of cuttings. If being overtaken by a large vehicle ease off and pull to the left of the lane. In reality nothing different from driving the outfit in summer. Keswick site isn't really exposed as its surrounded by hills and even in winter the trees will moderate wind. We've been on the west of Scotland in severe gales and the van with awning were fine albeit they did twitch a lot!! But if in any doubts of the forecast make sure awning has storm straps or is not put up.

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Everyone
Thanks for posting all that helpful advice - it's much appreciated.
Someone on another website.
wink.png
suggested that if it is windy I could leave the
the M6 at Junction 36 (Kendal) and drive via Ambleside, Grasmere, etc.
That was a VERY good idea as if it were to be windy the M6 from J36 to
J40 (Penrith) over Shap were indeed a particular concern. I should have
thought of it as we've travelled both routes many times - I guess I'm a
bit tired for logical thinking at present. Perhaps I need a break
biggrin.png
LOL!!!!
Thanks again
to too everyone else who've posted. I was in need of a little
reassurance perhaps and you've been kind enough to give me that.
Thanks
again.
Tim

Tim

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Everyone
Thanks again for your VERY HELPFUL
and reassuring advice. I thought that I would let you know that Cary
and I arrived safely at Keswick CCC site c2.00pm yesterday. We had a
very pleasant and uneventful journey via the M6 and A66. There were no
problems with wind despite taking the M6 over Shap. It was a lovely,
clear sunny day and the fells were beautiful with a capping of snow on
many of them. The winds were light and no problem at all for towing and
the motorway was surprisingly quiet.
By
mid-afternoon we were all set up on a pitch with wonderful views towards
Derwentwater and the surrounding fells, some of which are "iced" with
snow. Today has been another beautiful sunny day. The peace and beauty
of our surroundings has already begun to work its relaxing "magic" and
is proving "just what the Dr ordered", literally. We are enjoying the freedom that retirement has newly brought us and are staying here for at least 18 days.
Thanks again for your help folks.
Tim.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Tim,

glad the trip went well, I am somewhat envious, but this weekend I am taking the old Pajero for a weekend's green lane exploration in mid Wales. Cannot believe the amount of stuff that has gone in the back, more than when caravanning.No dogs or wife...no room! But I guess it is needed to ensure that i get back to the hotel on Saturday in time for the Wales-England clash!!

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.......glad all went well Tim and that the weather is good up there.

Just to show what a varied Country this is....... down here in West Sussex we have had snow and ice induced chaos on the roads!
On the Monday11th during the night people were trapped in their cars on the main route from Brighton to London due to a gridlock at Handcross Hill. They spent the night there.
On Tuesday 12th the roads gradually got going but some trains and flights were cancelled although Gatwick remained open.
There were no postal deliveries to our village for 2 days.
My caravan was covered in snow and snowed in...... parked next to my garage.
We still have snow lingering today in odd corners.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21750691

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If it is very windy when you are on site if it is possible face the caravan ito the wind as this gives the least surface area facing into the wind. If this is not possible place the towing vehicle between the wind and caravan to reduce the wind hitting the side.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts