What's a good type of ground sheet?

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Having just ordered my awning, which comes with a free but basic groundsheet, I'm wondering if anyone would care to make a recommendation on what type they believe is good to have.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have the Bolon breathable groundsheet cut to size for our porch awning. Cost a bit more, but well worth it. Also fits in the washing washing.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We cannot put the Kampa breathable in out washing machine as too "stiff". No issue with the Bolon. Nothing wrong with the Kampa which we use for our winter 220 Kampa porch awning. Just to add the "stiff" Kampa was the previous groundsheet for our larger awning.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I just periodically hose down the Kampa and put it over the rotary dryer at home.
But the Wilton is serviced by Carpet Master annually 🤭

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
We have the Bolon breathable groundsheet cut to size for our porch awning. Cost a bit more, but well worth it. Also fits in the washing washing.
Wow! You have a washing machine in your caravan :)

Thanks for the recommendations folks. Do these carpet types go directly on the ground or on a plastic type groundsheet first?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Wow! You have a washing machine in your caravan :)

Thanks for the recommendations folks. Do these carpet types go directly on the ground or on a plastic type groundsheet first?

To put plastic under a breathable groundsheet defeats the object. It can get muddy at times but then so would a non breathable.

I have never tried to put the Bolon in the washing machine. At 7m it looks too big to me. but if it's bad I put it on the drive an use a pressure washer. Ours is light grey and does show staining from some soils. But it has been well used. Isabella do a range of colours.

John

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I bought a 'Weavetex' which was cheap online, various sizes and several colours. This has served well on hardstanding or grass and gets pressure hosed on the drive if it gets mucky. In the summer if the grass is neat and well trimmed I don't bother with it at all.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I have the interlocking EVA squares, they are light easy to put down and take up and allow grass to breath. We only use them if the grass it wet.

Hi Hutch when we were seasonal on a hardstanding service pitch we had the interlocking EVA Squares they were brilliant to each its own

Last edited:

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
To put plastic under a breathable groundsheet defeats the object. It can get muddy at times but then so would a non breathable.

I have never tried to put the Bolon in the washing machine. At 7m it looks too big to me. but if it's bad I put it on the drive an use a pressure washer. Ours is light grey and does show staining from some soils. But it has been well used. Isabella do a range of colours.

John

When I mentioned plastic underneath I was using the generic term. The freebie groundsheet I have is described as 'breatheable polyethlene'

Thanks for the replies - too much choice as usual.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
The awning with free ground sheet arrived yesterday although the inner tent hasn't made it yet.

The 'free' ground sheet looks very much like the landscape fabric we put down in the garden to stop the weeds coming through the paths. It'll do for now but I think we'll take closer look at some of your recommendations.

Thanks

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Hutch when we were seasonal on a hardstanding service pitch we had the interlocking EVA Squares they were brilliant to each its own
I have found those really great, I carry 16 of them in 4 plastic bags in the van, and depending on which awning we take away, I leave one or two bags behind. If the weather is good I don't put anything down, if its damp them enough squares to cover upto the door and a few outside the awning to stop any big mud areas from developing. .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts