What's best?

May 22, 2017
Visit site
Not looking to start an war with this one but I'd love a bit of good advice. Currently I have a 99 Lunar Solar and it's a great little van, for the 2 grand I paid it's a properly great little van. However, despite its many plus points something inside me pines for something younger and maybe a little bigger, 6 berth perhaps. Our friends have a Sterling Cruach Culmor and it's a beautiful van. So what's best?

For a budget of say around £10k I see a lot of really nice 6 berth vans for sale but when I read certain things I'm seeing different problems people have, and even with brand new vans.

Personally there has always been something about a nice Bailey, I see them as a league above the rest, am I right? My Lunar has proved to be great value but I read some very different experiences from other owners of much newer stuff. Then others tell me the older stuff is better put together. What are your experiences?

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I had a budget and requirement (6 berth van) very similar to yours when I bought my first van a year ago. I spent almost 6 months researching before I bought and almost didn't buy anything at all because browsing forums, magazines etc all you seem to hear about are problems with damp and various other bits of vans. It's really enough to put anyone off! Every brand seems to have horror stories out there, from what I could gather none are really any better than the others.

In the end I decided on the layout I wanted and what I was willing to pay and decided to remain agnostic on brand. I also decided to keep a little money aside to pay for any problems should they arise. A month or so of scanning second hand adverts and a 2011 Coachman and a 2013 Sprite both came up at the same price. I looked at both and went for the Coachman because it came with pretty much all the accessories I needed.

I've had it a year now and it's been great. The last service picked up 28% damp in one spot on the front corner and it's going in this weekend to have the rail resealed, which is going to cost a couple of hundred. I'd expect to be spending that much in maintenance on a car of a similar age anyway.

Go for it I'd say, as long as you give it a good going over before you buy it, get a good feeling and are prepared for a few niggles.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Had Bailey Series 5 which is probably below your budget but a late S7?could be a good choice, or an early Alutech. Current van is 2012 Sprite and whilst budget it's got all that we need and has been trouble free. Sprites do well in Owner Surveys.

Feb 25, 2017
Visit site
If I had to buy again now, I would get our local mobile service chap to come along and give it the once over. He provides this service (complete with damp check), for £50.00, which on the face of it seems a reasonable deal. I was VERY lucky. Purchased via Gumtree, never even saw it in (8K asking price) in the flesh, but owner delivered it FOC and it has been brilliant. Would not want to make a habit of it 'tho!!. Good luck.

Jul 3, 2017
Visit site
I would be inclined to not take to much notice of reviews and forum rants, unless you see a specific trend.
If you are unsure, make sure you buy from a dealer, if you want further reassurance take out finance (via a dealer).

Other than that take your time and don't be rushed into anything, be prepared to walk away if your not entirely happy, there will always be another.

Taking an expert along as mentioned above could be money well spent and give added piece of mind.
You used to see people do this all the time at car dealers, but not so much these days.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would not want to put you off the Bailey, but they are not a cut above the rest. Basically they are about average, about the same as the Lunars. If buying second hand you need to do the same with all makes, basically check thoroughly for damp, get service records and check everything works.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Although we have a Bailey at the moment they are certainly not a cut above the rest in anyway what so ever. They are very much average. Of course some of the what's best depends on whether you are looking for equipment levels or just something that is dry. The later being more important. Coachman are perceived as being a cut above and indeed we've had three of them. It's the only van that we've had to take back to the factory to have a new front panel to sort the issue of damp.

As far as six berths go then a lot of things need to be considered, single or twin axle? Layouts can differ quite considerably. Twin lounges front and rear, fixed bunks side dinette, fixed bunk rear dinette. Side or rear bathroom. Fixed bed side dinette and so on and so forth.

We have a twin axle side fixed double, corner washroom, side dinette layout which within a 10k budget is do able with the Bailey Ranger. The reason for changing to this and the move away from fixed bunk was purely and simply to give the three girls a single bed each (they're up until we go to bed now anyway). The fixed bunks were posing problems with access and sitting up to read. The layout works really well for us but as with anything is subjective. This layout is only available on twin axles from Bailey and the likes BUT is available on a single axle in the form of late model Fleetwood's and Adria's to the present day.

Twin lounge 6 berths tend to be on twin axles as well. Many 5 berths this layout on a single axle. Fixed rear bunks and side dinettes of various configurations can be found on single axles. Side fixed bunks, side dinette and rear washroom models tend to be on a twin axle.

I'm sure I've missed loads out but hopefully of some help.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
volvoturboman said:
... So what's best? ...

How longs a piece of string comes to mind. :huh:

Only you can decide what is best for you, and its like buying a house, it will be the smaller points that will bias your choice. :)

If you have scanned this forum you will see the issue of caravan reliability has been extensively discussed. Whilst there will be some who will claim their caravan has been fault free, we have no way of establishing what proportion of caravans sold that represents. But there are far too many people who do report problems and again we can't establish percentages, but what is very clear is every manufacturer has some faulty caravans, either from new, or very soon after handover, and of course longer term issues especially water ingress.

The real and ongoing concern is that two caravans form the same production batch can be so different, One being a dream and the other a nightmare. This is the evidence that UK Caravan manufactures do not manage quality control in their factories.

As result it not possible for me to suggest any particular brand is better than another.

Private or dealership is the next choice, With a dealership you are more likely to get a workable guarantee, private you won't. You will pay more for the same van at a dealership. Again only you can make that choice. If you are really a hands on whiz at DIY the a private purchase may be a good choice, but if you have in mind years of low cost no problem caravanning, then I must burst your bubble, becasue the statistics do show that as caravans get older they are more prone to some fairly major issues such as damp, in which case a dealer warranty (Please read the T&C's though for what isn't covered) may be a welcome safety net.

May 22, 2017
Visit site
Thanks guys for all that great advice, I'll be taking it all on board. I have taken a great like to the Bailey Unicorn but still stuck on whether I want a fixed double or not. My better half thinks we should keep our little Lunar for at least another year and to be honest I'm finding it hard to come up with a reason not too.

Although I can tinker at most things myself I work a lot of hours and struggle with time. So taking that into account I'm thinking perhaps something from a dealer protected by finance may the better step.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I ave only bought my first van second hand, from a dealer, and on hind sight didnt have a , "sheet" stating about damp on it . Having PA my last two caravans the dealer tried to rip me down for damp , 15% , they didnt win. So on buying a pre loved caravan , ask for a damp report. .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts