What's in a name

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
I have just watched scrap heap challenge on the box and the judge was Lt.Col.Dick Strawbridge MBE.Now the question is, he is no longer in the army but like many others refers to himself by his old rank,why is this as he can't be a Lt.Col anymore now that he has left the services.You dont hear ex police refer to themselves as Police constable...so why do they do this and is it correct and why do they feel the need.LB was I believe in the ambulance service but I doubt he refers to himself as Ambulanceman Brakewynde.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
LB calls him self Lord but he was never given a peerage !!!

Does it really matter if some one wants to call themselves Lt Col or Major etc. I know a few "Captains" ex Merchant Navy, it doesn't bother me in the least.

frank

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
As a retired (early due to disability) member of the Emergency Services I do not want to be referred to by my previous title. Not for any negative reason, simply because I am no longer employed to do that job.

In the Army anyone reaching Field Officer rank (Major or above) is entitled to use their rank to prefix their name when retired.

I see no problem with this. It is their choice.

Steve

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
You can only call your self by your ex rank when you leave the army if you are above captain. If you get a high exranking office from the police force he or she can do the same.Unlike the ambulance service the Army or Police force cant go on strick.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
What not going on strike has to do with calling yourself by your rank in civvy street is I don't know.

Regarding the police being able to refer to their rank on retirement I've never heard one that does, maybe others know different.The rank structure for uniformed officers in the police are ...

Police Constable

Police Sergeant

Inspector

Chief Inspector

Superintendent

Chief Superintendent

Assistant Chief Constable

Deputy Chief Constable

Chief Constable

..... as anyone heard of a person using any of the above after they have retired?

Another point, surely a deputy and assistant are the same thing.

The only benefit, apart from snobbery, of carrying on using their former rank title is to help get them into select circles, i.e. directorships etc.

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
M'Lord,....I think the difference is:

An Assistant Chief Constable (there could be a number of them) usually have specific areas of responsibility the police service and they report to the Chief Constable for a particular area of policing in their force.

A Deputy Chief Constable is actually the next in line to the Chief Constable and deputises in his/her absence.

I'm sure someone will put us right if my analogy is wrong!

May 12, 2006
Visit site
100% correct Mal.

An assistant, assists never assumes responsibility

A deputy can assume the position of the rank above, and the full responsibility.

Val & Frank LMEM. RN retired

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
M'Lord,....I think the difference is:

An Assistant Chief Constable (there could be a number of them) usually have specific areas of responsibility the police service and they report to the Chief Constable for a particular area of policing in their force.

A Deputy Chief Constable is actually the next in line to the Chief Constable and deputises in his/her absence.

I'm sure someone will put us right if my analogy is wrong!
Thank you Mal, I was just puzzled.

A few years before I finished with the Ambulance Service we had a new intake of heirachy at the ytop. All of a sudden the Chief Ambulance Officer had not only a Deputy but a new Assistant. Nobody new what their roles were except the Deputy always made the tea when we had Management/Union Rep. meetings.

When we became a trust the Chief became Chief Executive and his salary immediately doubled from the then sum of

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I upset a couple of my old customers when I drove a red delivery van by not calling them by rank. One was a colonel, the other an admiral, both retired. I called them both Mr. They didn't half get annoyed.It is pure snobbery.

Dec 23, 2005
Visit site
And a Deputy Chief Constable gets paid more than an Assistant.

Anyway, back to Dick Strawbridge. I'm sure that he didn't use his title when presenting the recent 'It's Not Easy Being Green'. (Queue Muppet Show jokes).

Martin.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As someone who spent some considerable time in HM Forces, and yes achieved some rank, and without wishing to open an ongoing debate about the rights and wrongs of using miltary ranks once retired etc, the reason that miltary ranks are sometimes used in retirement may be that HM Forces officers' hold The Queen's Commission, and that stays with them for life. Unless they have been naughty boys or girls of course when their commission can be removed, where as, as I understand it, those in most other uniformed services e.g.police are appointed to various ranks for the duration of their contract. As for using military ranks in retirement some do and some don't, as long as the retired pay (not pension) comes in monthly at the correct rate I am not too fussed what I am called, I've been called all sorts of names in my service life. I have to admit tho' occasionally having "a handle" can be useful!

Clubman

Lieutenant Colonel MBE in receipt of retired pay!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Being of the lower ranks during my time in the RAF I only ever seem to hear of one rank concious ex serviceman but he seems to get about quite a bit. Every morning the local radio reports on the whereabouts of Major Rhode-Werkes. :)

Marc

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts