What's you MPG

May 7, 2007
Visit site
Hi Martin,

I should think quite a lot of cars would get the same MPG reading if they were doing 0 MPH and just sat there with there foot on the accelerator doing 9,500 revs. Tell your wife she needs to put it into gear and go forward. LOL

Graham (Ponty)

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
I got over 62 mpg following my wife who was in a sick car, we were travelling at 55mph on a slightly uphill (average) motorway trip.

The car regularly averages over 50 mpg on motorways and A roads and around 40mpg around the city.

Towing drops into the late 20s but we do tow a 1700kg TA.

The car is a 2001 Seat Alhambra 115 PD TDI with a chip that gives around 140 bhp and the car has done over 100k.

Jun 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi Martin,

I should think quite a lot of cars would get the same MPG reading if they were doing 0 MPH and just sat there with there foot on the accelerator doing 9,500 revs. Tell your wife she needs to put it into gear and go forward. LOL

Graham (Ponty)
LOL!!!

Jun 12, 2006
Visit site
Should of mentioned it's done 90,000 miles and she does 70 miles a day on motorway and A roads to and from work, give it me and i'll half it in an hour, LOL.

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
Skoda 2.0 dsg 140bhp,over the 22ooo miles my records show 42 mpg as for mpg it can show 000 to 80/90 if you look at the dial and in that mode. I t does not mean a thing unless you keep accurate readings each time you fill up. Oh , of that 42mpg there is about 8000 miles towing.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quite right Robert. I once travelled in a friends Scorpio, which had a fuel computer. On a long downhill on a trailing throttle, it showed 100mpg. Flooring the throttle to go up the other side, it showed 0.6mpg. Does this mean that its average mpg was 50mpg?

What is this apparent obsession with MPG? When my car needs fuel, I put it in. Mpg is not on my list of concerns about my car.

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
My Peugeot 406 HDI does 45+ mpg in town. 55+ on a long run and 33mpg towing. I am more than happy with it. I had a Mondeo 2ltr SI and it only did half the mpg of my Peugeot. Ken

Aug 30, 2007
Visit site
I can certainly endorse what emmerson says. My 3.9 V8 Discovery regularly does 180 odd miles to a tankful of LPG and my tank takes 50 litres of LPG - this is round town use and the odd long journey.

So 180 miles/50 litres = 3.6 miles per litre on LPG or 16.38 mpg.

Currently I pay 47.9 pence per litre which is well under half the price of diesel and about half the price of petrol.

So as regards cost, the fig of 16.38 needs to be doubled to get an equivalent cost to petrol/diesel

So 32 "equivalent" MPG is about right.

On longer journeys such as the one I did last month down to Plymouth I actually got over 200 miles from a tank of LPG both on the way there and on the way back.

So on long journeys over 18 mpg was achieved which equates to 36 MPG cost wise. But I have had fitted the electronic gizmos that alter the timing etc to take advantage of the the higher Octane of LPG but its lower calorific value.

I am happy with that in view of the type of vehicle and what it can do and what it can tow.

In comparison my old hack vehicle - a J reg Discovery 200Td1 does about 27 MPG on what I consider to be "expensive" diesel.

My sons 1.9 TDi Passat estate is a great car and does manage to average 43 mpg and 47 on a long run and it suits what he needs a car for. But it is not a tow car by the standards I look for. It struggles to tow anything really.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
I have put above what consumtion figs I get,I always brim the tank (the only way to check true consumpion) and the average figure shown on the dash is usually within a couple of MPG.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Good God

You have Air Brakes fitted to your caravans in Sweden!!!is it because you drive so fast trying to leave the place ???

I could give you another UK caravan DATA Forum to try for information, but seeing so I am a nice guy I will keep you with us.

XXX Val & Frank

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts