Wheel balancing

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I say yes, but I will also support that with some of the science bit.

An unbalanced wheel vibrating as they do, can over a long period of time cause premature bearing failure. It can also wear our your tyre faster than normal. Finally in extreme cases it can also generate a highr tyre temperature which could result in a blowout.

So for the sake of a fiver, it realy isn't worth taking the risk is it?

To be quite honest, unless your wheel is damaged, the only reason you require balance weights is to offset a badly manufactured tyre. If I see more than 40 grams of lead being slapped on my wheel, I get the tyre replaced while at the fitting station. They realy kick up a stinck over it but you as the consumer have the right to refuse a product.

It might sound "picky" but I have seen first hand the damage a rear tyre blowout can do to a Lotus Elise at 100 Mph (on a test track)and I have the personal skid marks on my driver's seat too.

ATB Steve L.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Stupid question, (probably) but who does wheel balancing on vans. Can you just take it down to your local tyre merchant/Kwik fit etc or does it have to be the caravan servicing outlet? Also how often would you get it done?

thanks

mel

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Take the wheels to the nearest tyre depot and ask them to balance them.

You only need it doing once each time you change tyres, unless a weight falls off by some chance.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
My 2004 bailey has no balance weights on any wheel, therefore NO it is not required to balance caravan wheels.

However if having new tyres fitted, for the extra cost, then yes get them balanced.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
James yes, that's what i am saying. Also ideally you should not balance a tyre until it has done some miles, this advise was given to me by a tyre fitter a long time ago.

Many cars in use do not have correctly balanced tyres anyway, having said that i always have the tyres balanced when new, but only for convenience.

On a caravan at speeds below 60mph, i don't think they need balancing.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Just to add to RAYS comment,lorrie wheels arnt balanced,although they can be done but only on the vehicle.So i would also say no they dont req balancing,and i dont think you,d feel a vibration carried in to the car from the caravan.

Feb 28, 2009
Visit site
Seth,

I think the point of balancing to to reduce the vibrations to the van and axle components. The effect sometimes felt on a cars steering (often at around 50/60 mph.) can be quite severe. I personally would not want that transmitted through my van. Probably curdle the milk Lol.

Jim

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts